Where do you live - City or Suburbs?

Guest donaltopablo

I live in the 'burbs, even though I detest what sprawl is doing to the once-scenic countryside of Pennsylvania. I was born and raised in a historic home just outside of Downtown Pittston, PA until the age of 9, when my father received a huge salary hike and an accompanying bigger ego that sent us out here to a newer housing development. As a 19-year-old attending an expensive college, I don't really have the option to move out into a downtown apartment in either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre, as I would prefer, even while working full-time. Instead, I'm stuck in a community of traffic congestion, big-box stores, neighborhoods where they tear down trees and name the streets after them, and paved paradise along I-81.

I'd love to live in one of the new lofts coming to Scranton someday. It would be nice to live right in the middle of the bustling "Electric City", where I could be near my downtown firm, many night clubs, pubs, restaurants, a downtown shopping mall, boutiques, and churches. It would be nice to walk my children to school before work, as well as walk them to Nay Aug Park to see the animals at the zoo, the waterfall, or the public pool. My boyfriend and I would be able to meet up for a nice spring walk every day during my lunch hour through the Hill Section, with its historic Victorian homes and tree-lined streets. I'd be a short walk to the University of Scranton, where I could take evening courses for post-graduate studies. This city has everything you need right on your doorstep, from the "Coney Island Diner" for their famous Texas weiners to "Poochie's", which is a pet accessory boutique, to your basic Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister. Instead, I'm stuck here in a cul-de-sac nightmare, where we have to drive EVERYWHERE as some gas stations in our area now charge $3.09/gallon! To me, Scranton is bohemia.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the moment, I live and work in a suburban city. My apt is two miles from work so I ride my bike from time to time. I also have a shopping plaza that has a few restaurants and a grocery store. At the end of the summer, I will be moving an hour north to a city of 200,000 and living in a condo at the end of the downtown core within a historic district. From that point on, I will commute each day.

Archived