• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Residents will be able to move into OPV by early August. Out of 32 condos, 15 are under contract. Kerry Avant claims that the biggest challenge to win over prospective buyers that there wasn't a finished product to present. As we know, Downtown Thai will move across the street into OPV, but a Vietnamese restaurant will replace their former location within 2 weeks. Avant's plan for Civic Plaza was due next month, but it was granted a 90-day extension (October).

I'm surprised that OPV isn't at least 50% sold out. Granted, this hasn't exactly been the easiest market to sell condos in, but they had this building proposed way before things went sour. There are only so many people in Winston who can afford these pricey units. Most of downtown's recent residential projects have been created and outrageously priced for the wealthy and well-to-do class. A few notable ones have been The Gallery, 248 S. Main, Traders Row, and Tar Branch Towers. Two of those have fallen through because of a lack of buyers. I seem to also remember that OPV was close to selling out as soon as the Davis Building was demolished? Future buyers were promised that they would have a park to look at from their balconies (hence One Park Vista). I can only assume that failed promises on this have led buyers to look some place else. In my opinion, I believe the idea of reviving downtown by making it affordable for only the privileged has failed. Hopefully this will teach Kerry that in Civic Plaza he has to make room for affordable units and create a project that is open to diversity.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/ju...ected/?business

---------

Update 7-5-08

2643612870_6dc32d614e_b.jpg

2643619206_f42ffc273f_b.jpg

2642800925_5dae9b2530_b.jpg

2642811515_f3d08f7318_b.jpg

2643653860_1b8dc749fd_b.jpg

2642831279_447f4ddddb_b.jpg

2642817587_6de7d60bce_b.jpg

Suprisingly there actaully are plenty people in Winston-Salem area to buy these pricey condos, just not the very young. I remember that a while ago it was said that the buidling was almost sold out. I believe that some buyers backed out because they didn't know the future of the park and their vistas. It will be an asset to downtown and I can't wait to see it finished. I'm sure that the sales will get better once it is finished and people can see the finished product in a model. Most people can't understand and envision what the building nore the units would look like from the website graphics and floorplans.

Also, I personally don't believe that 248 S. Main has fallen through. There are only a few units still up for sale and I wouldn't count this building out until for certain. I believe it was just held up for other reasons.....the builder has recently said that construction would start this summer. I'm looking forward to that

I think the problem is the park portion of civic plaza. if youre paying half a mill+ on a condo, you should demand whats was promised to you. If I was Avant, I would try my best to have the park, at least u/c by this fall. draw a plan up and have renderings at 4th and Trade, ASAP, to lure buyers.

• 2 weeks later...

the west facade baffles me. it makes OPV look like its cut in half. why is he leaving it completely blank...no faux windows, no detail, nothing. it looks as though there could be a 2nd section buit over Contempo Furniture sometime in the future?? who knows. thanks for the update.

Archived