One Park Vista

twincity

the west facade baffles me. it makes OPV look like its cut in half. why is he leaving it completely blank...no faux windows, no detail, nothing. it looks as though there could be a 2nd section buit over Contempo Furniture sometime in the future?? who knows. thanks for the update.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From what I've heard, that blank wall has something to do with a city ordinance regarding tornadoes. I'm not buying that... <_<

This was a cheap way for the developer to save some cash; similar to a suburban tract home with brick on the first three sides and siding on the back. He could have at least added some detail to the stucco instead of making it completely blank. 4th Street Investors LLC (Rence Callahan and Co.) own the old Legal Aid Building on the corner of Fourth and Trade and a storefront next to Contempo. The only building they don't own yet is the Dill Pickle. This is the rumored location for their 10-15 story LEED office tower.

Now that construction on One Park Vista is coming to a close, I thought it would be nice if I shared with all of you three videos I made and a set of construction photos that documented the 2-year span of this project. Hope you enjoy! :camera:

Photo set (from demolition to completion):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmophotos/s...57602787096555/

Before demo and construction:

Demolition videos:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

its a good looking building but that blank wall just kills it. im surprised that no one from the city, the media or DWSP is questioning him about the west facade. it looks terrible.

I read somewhere that this design for One Park Vista is actually a conservative version from his original vision. Avant is a big fan of the Biltmore estate and wanted to build a project that reflects that. the original OPV was way more decorative. judging from these phase II and phase III renderings, he will get his wish.

Did the architects (if you can call them that) ever think about any exterior window treatments? I'm sorry, but I loathe this building to the fullest extent. This is Kerry's high-rise replication of Kinderton in downtown. Anybody with enough resources to afford a unit in this building should consider some of Beau Dancy's projects.

In the eleventh photo, this depicts from street level view of OPV that visitors and local residents will see daily. This is an eyesore and sticks out like a sore thumb. A good friend of mine, who had a friend come to town, told me that his guest, who isn't an architectural critic, said," Now that's just butt-ugly!" Is this the impression we're giving visitors? We just accept mediocre architecture for the sake of progress? Call me a Gloomy Gus, but I don't see Civic Plaza looking any better, unless proper measures are taken.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As triadguy stated, no work has started.

Update 1-30-09

The week these photos were taken, work crews were tearing up parts of the EIFS stucco on each balcony. Any idea what they were doing? It sure made a hell of a mess on the streets with thousands of tiny pieces of styrofoam everywhere...

3251956929_815b9dac6e.jpg

3251959975_bd92d1eb30.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived