Tobacco Row Developments

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thread for the Tobacco Row discussion! There's a lot happening down there, so it's worthy of its own thread... Have at it!

I was just re-reading a post by Ryan correcting someone who stated that the row would have 3000+ housing units. Ryan pointed out that the actual figure will be slightly less than 850 after Lucky Strike goes on line.

Just wondering if Ryan's figure includes Canal Lofts, the western-most conversions? I think that full-block complex has over 200 apartments/condos, or will soon after work on the tallest building is complete.

PS. Thanks for the new thread, coupe.

We'll also have to include the developments on Main St that are part of Tobacco Row as well, including the Cutter's Ridge Rowhomes.

No problem Burt, I meant to start this sooner, but this week has been pretty hectic with starting class and everything. This semester is gonna be rough!

We'll also have to include the developments on Main St that are part of Tobacco Row as well, including the Cutter's Ridge Rowhomes.

No problem Burt, I meant to start this sooner, but this week has been pretty hectic with starting class and everything. This semester is gonna be rough!

And Haxhall View, if it ever gets underway.

Don't burn the candle at both ends too much, coupe, or you might come down with mononucleosis (we used to call it the students disease). I've never figured out how you manage your studies and these sites at the same time. :rolleyes:

Developments Currently Underway at Tobacco Row:

The Lucky Strike Power Plant

See Renderings here...

"The proposed $5 million dollar mixed use development anchors the Tobacco Row Residential District....The development will feature over 36,000 SF of retail and office space and maintain the industrial character of the existing building. Highlighted amenities include full height windows, two story lobby space and exposed structural and mechanical systems."

The project should be complete by the end of 2006.

NBC 12 article (originally posted by Cadeho)

Turning Lucky Strike Power Plant into Commercial Hub

-----------------------------------------------

The River Lofts at Tobacco Row - Lucky Strike

FCE Lucky Strike page

"Formerly a cigarette manufacturing and headquarters facility for the American Tobacco Company, the Lucky Strike building is being converted to residential use, with sophisticated lofts that include granite and stainless steel kitchens, a residents' lounge with piano and billiards table, 24-hour security and concierge services, a state-of-the-art theatre, and two levels of indoor parking."

This project will include 140 loft apartments and should be complete by the end of 2006.

------------------------------------------------

The Edgeworth Building

Thalhimer on Edgeworth

"Thalhimer/Cushman & Wakefield is pleased to announce Hirschler Fleischer has leased 67,334 square feet of office space at the Edgeworth Building, now under development.......... Hirschler Fleischer.....will move to their new offices on November 30, 2006. The Edgeworth Building, part of the Tobacco Row redevelopment area, is being developed by Forest City Commercial Group, and is approximately 142,000 square feet."

-- The reconstructed building will retain its historic significance and will feature unique architectural elements, including art deco detailing and an industrial history of the building's original use in the lobby.

-- The building's high ceilings, which once accommodated tobacco "hogsheads," provide a vista of the James River and the Richmond skyline.

-- Other features include underground parking, a gated entrance, state-of-the-art conference facilities, and rooftop and patio gardens.

-- The project architect is Richmond-based Baskervill.

This project will be complete by the end of 2006.

--------------------------------------------

Lofts at Canal Walk Phase III

Lofts at Canal Walk

" The Lofts at Canal Walk offer a unique blend of old world character, high technology, and resort-style design in the heart of Richmond's Shockoe Bottom entertainment district. Originally built in 1893 on the banks of the James River Canal, the former tobacco warehouses have been gracefully restored into luxury apartment homes. There are up to 30 one, two, and three bedroom loft and apartment varieties."

Judging by the size of the building, there should be well over 100 units.

This project should be complete by the end of 2006.

---------------------------------------------

Haxall View

main.jpg

Fulton Hill Properties: Haxall View

"Fulton Hill Properties will transform these buildings into a 40,000 square foot mixed-use project with loft apartments above offices, retail shops and a restaurant. The restaurant space will include outdoor seating in a private courtyard, with parking on the lower level."

Completion date unknown... 2006?

----------------------------------------------

Cutters Ridge at Tobacco Row

home_top.jpg

Cutter's Ridge

"Imagine coming home to a distinctive, all-new rowhome in Richmond’s desirable Tobacco Row neighborhood. Classic architecture in a stylish urban setting, a warm-hued red brick exterior, a rear-load garage, a balcony terrace, two bedrooms, a versatile lower level living space, three and a half baths and a floor plan designed to suit the way you want to live"

This project should be complete by the end of 2006.

---------------------------------------------

Virginia Holocaust Museum

Plans are in the works for the museum to expand within its current building. No timetable.

those are awesome developments that will give Richmond a unique edge with housing. :)

It sure is nice to have you visit, urbanvb. Come on over often, even if you are Guy with a new name! LOL

And right after this is when my problems started with dates and times! Curious!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice picture of Lucky Strike. And yes, the skyway shows in both. Where is (or was) the yellow research buiilding? It might have been out on Jeff Davis Hwy near Model Tobacco.

Note in the black and white the building east of Lucky reading "Store Fixtures". It's long gone, of course.

There used to be kinda sleezy looking bar at the corner of Main and Pear where the mid-rise apartment house is now.

I am not going up on that part of the trestle! I was lucky when I did it on the Lee Bridge side, but then again I was still on land. Ever since then, those tracks have been very busy. And I know a boy who in 1995 who was dragged by a train up on that trestle... ironically I mentioned that in October only to find out he worked in my building! I told him I had just looked up the article and asked him what that was all about. Just something kids do that they know isn't a good idea later.

Nice picture of Lucky Strike. And yes, the skyway shows in both. Where is (or was) the yellow research buiilding? It might have been out on Jeff Davis Hwy near Model Tobacco.

Note in the black and white the building east of Lucky reading "Store Fixtures". It's long gone, of course.

There used to be kinda sleezy looking bar at the corner of Main and Pear where the mid-rise apartment house is now.

burt... are you sure that the "store fixtures building isn't the same as the Rockett's View apts...just east of Tobacco Row?

See Bird's Eye View

The shape of the structures look very similar. Also, I think the smokestack is actually Lucky Strike's smoke stack, in case that may have thrown anyone off. I don't know where the yellow building was, but it was the American Tobacco Company Research Laboratory.

This is Tobacco Row - Circa 1939:

Tobacco_row.jpg

I'd be curious to see the same picture taken today (cough Cadeho cough :) )

Coupe, I guess your're right that Rocketts View is the building east of Lucky Strike. But it looks, in this picture, as if it is directly across Pear street.

Note the railroad tunnel. Wonder where it ended?

I'm more sure than ever that the yellow Research building is (or was) on Jeff Davis Highway. It was in front of large open sided warehouses where tobacco was cured. And there was a billboard that read something like "Quiet, please. Tobacco Asleep".

The unique Model Tobacco building was (and hopefully still is) nearby on Jeff Davis.

I am not going up on that part of the trestle! I was lucky when I did it on the Lee Bridge side, but then again I was still on land. Ever since then, those tracks have been very busy. And I know a boy who in 1995 who was dragged by a train up on that trestle... ironically I mentioned that in October only to find out he worked in my building! I told him I had just looked up the article and asked him what that was all about. Just something kids do that they know isn't a good idea later.

One recent summer, when the Haxall was under construction, a lady friend and I were strolling out on the old dam jutting from Brown's Island. Kids were swinging out on a rope dangling from the trestle. One of the kids ran toward us and said that his friend had swung out and jumped and they couldn't find him. I ran across to the construction site and yelled to one of the workers for help. He must have had a cell phone, because within minutes, the rescue squad arrived. They searched and searched, but could not find the young boy. Days later, his body was recovered downstream. It was very sad and disturbing.

Since then, on visits, I have seen youngsters swinging and diving from the same rope, and it chills my blood.

That's sad Burt. In 1998, when there was a beach on Tredegar St while the canal was under construction, I used to spend summer days watching people (drunks, of all people) jumping from that trestle. I miss that beach.

But that Store Fixtures building is the Rocketts building. Actually I can get a pic from that view. It's all overgrown now though. What tunnel?

Archived