Tobacco Row Developments

wrldcoupe4

Richmond Renaissance Updates!

The Lucky Strike Building

So far, they have been doing light demo work inside the building. In 2 weeks, heavy demolition and remodeling work will begin. The project will include a "light well" in the center of the building for residents. IT will have 140 apartment units. They also had a rendering of what the building will look like when complete.... very nice!

Edgeworth Building

Move-in date for the tenants is December 06. Aside from the anchoring law firm, an architectural firm will occupy the first floor. Across the Cary street on the current vacant lot, a parking deck will be erected with retail on the street level, including a sandwich shop.

Cutter's Ridge will be complete by the end of the year. It's name comes from "cigar labels found in one of the nearby tobacco factories" or something like that.

Lucky Strike Power Plant

This project is strictly commercial and retail. They have encountered some delays because of the complexities of the project (for example, dismantling the massive boiler units inside) and the completion date is set for Spring 2007. It will include on-site parking and will have 3 first floor entrances on different levels.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:)

Richmond Renaissance Updates!

The Lucky Strike Building

So far, they have been doing light demo work inside the building. In 2 weeks, heavy demolition and remodeling work will begin. The project will include a "light well" in the center of the building for residents. IT will have 140 apartment units. They also had a rendering of what the building will look like when complete.... very nice!

Edgeworth Building

Move-in date for the tenants is December 06. Aside from the anchoring law firm, an architectural firm will occupy the first floor. Across the Cary street on the current vacant lot, a parking deck will be erected with retail on the street level, including a sandwich shop.

Cutter's Ridge will be complete by the end of the year. It's name comes from "cigar labels found in one of the nearby tobacco factories" or something like that.

Lucky Strike Power Plant

This project is strictly commercial and retail. They have encountered some delays because of the complexities of the project (for example, dismantling the massive boiler units inside) and the completion date is set for Spring 2007. It will include on-site parking and will have 3 first floor entrances on different levels.

Another gratifying report from CNS. :)

Definitely! Also, I should mention that given the slope from Cary to Dock Streets, I'll bet a quarter that the retail in the parking deck will actually be on the top of the deck where it fronts Cary (similar to the other parking decks at Tobacco Row)

I'm more sure than ever that the yellow Research building is (or was) on Jeff Davis Highway. It was in front of large open sided warehouses where tobacco was cured. And there was a billboard that read something like "Quiet, please. Tobacco Asleep".

The unique Model Tobacco building was (and hopefully still is) nearby on Jeff Davis.

Its there, I saw it a couple of months ago.

That's sad Burt. In 1998, when there was a beach on Tredegar St while the canal was under construction, I used to spend summer days watching people (drunks, of all people) jumping from that trestle. I miss that beach.

But that Store Fixtures building is the Rocketts building. Actually I can get a pic from that view. It's all overgrown now though. What tunnel?

If I'm not mistaken, there is an abandoned gas station across pear st. The Rocketts View Apt. is next to the gas station.

and finally, I do not see a tunnel either.

This is Tobacco Row - Circa 1939:

Tobacco_row.jpg

I'd be curious to see the same picture taken today (cough Cadeho cough :) )

Look at the gaping black hole approximately downhill from Lucky Strike Power plant. Doesn't that look like a tunnel entrance to anyone else? I think I can even make out a rail track entering it from amongst the other tracks on that lower level below Cary Street.

Look at the gaping black hole approximately downhill from Lucky Strike Power plant. Doesn't that look like a tunnel entrance to anyone else? I think I can even make out a rail track entering it from amongst the other tracks on that lower level below Cary Street.

If we are looking at the same thing then I believe that's the back-end of a rail car which explains why it looks like the tracks are going "into" it. :whistling:

If we are looking at the same thing then I believe that's the back-end of a rail car which explains why it looks like the tracks are going "into" it. :whistling:

You could be right, riv75. Old eyes don't perform as well as they should, but if it's the rear end of a train, then, like my earlier question about the tunnel's terminus, where is it going? :lol:

Also, from a perspective view point, the black hole would be one helluva big rail car.

Hey BURT !!! and the rest of the RCW crowd...fancy meetin' y'all over here !!!!

I laid a 'present' Local Live over the preceding image to get an idea of the exact location.

What y'all are seeing is, indeed, a box car parked on a 'turn-out' next to an angle-walled building. The box car's shadow makes it appear to be too large for a single car.

Y'all compare this to the earlier picture.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...0former%20spur_

Ed in 'ole Virginny

You could be right, riv75. Old eyes don't perform as well as they should, but if it's the rear end of a train, then, like my earlier question about the tunnel's terminus, where is it going? :lol:

Also, from a perspective view point, the black hole would be one helluva big rail car.

Yeah I agree it did look out of scale compared to the cars on the left but Eddie's explanation makes pretty good sense. That old B&W photo has too much contrast so the shadows all blend into one. There are some tunnels around town though. A co-worker knows of one that runs beneath downtown I believe. I'll have to ask him about it again. Does that ring a bell with anyone here?

SO....this is life "On the OTHER side" !!!!

As Minnie Pearl used to say, " I'm just as proud to be here" !!!

Now, to business.

Here's where the CHURCH HILL TUNNEL lies.......

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=...shall%20Street_

Initally built to bypass all the rail congestion along the canal and in the 'bottom', it was abandoned when additional rails were laid. Attempts were made in '25 to re-open but a cave-in ended that effort. The tunnel is sealed flush at the western portal. The eastern end goes, maybe 100 yards into Church Hill before the wall is encountered.

Over on the RCW site are posted some recent pictures. A quick net seach for "Church Hill Tunnel" will give y'all all the details.

I visited both portals just last week.....first time my 'ole eyes have seen them in over forty years.

(of course, BURT probably helped 'em dig the tunnel!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl: )

Go before the weeds grow and other animals awaken. The western enterence is right off 18th St. I've seen it from 18th and I have stood right above it on what is now Cedar St. (How in the world did Cedar Street Church get THREE streets renamed for their church?! N. 19th, Pleasants, and N (west of 28th) Streets were renamed in the late 90s.) The eastern end is about at 31st and Franklin. I'm not brave enough to go there.

Welcome Eddie!

Well, Eddie ole Boy, I have to concede that you have debunked my tunnel idea below Lucky Strike on Tobacco Row. That must have been a spur with a box car on it, but I still want to know how far that spur extended.

The Eastern end of Church Hill Tunnel is in Sugar Bottom (remember the Brierly Brothers? I believe they lived there while carrying out their serial killings). Sugar Bottom is just below toney Libby Hill and the tunnel entrance, as Eddie points out, extends about 100 feet. Somewhere in that area, I believe on Williamsburg Road, is the oldest frame house in Richmond.

And no, I didn't help dig it. In fact, beleive it or not, I wasn't even around when it collapsed.

Eddie that's a great report, and I wish my shrivelled brain could master all the technical directions. This new Local Live thing is fascinating, but is there any way to get a larger and more comprehensive view of an area such as the entire length of Church Hill Tunnel? Going directional from the central thumb print addles me. I want to see all of them at the same time! :lol:

Go before the weeds grow and other animals awaken. The western enterence is right off 18th St. I've seen it from 18th and I have stood right above it on what is now Cedar St. (How in the world did Cedar Street Church get THREE streets renamed for their church?! N. 19th, Pleasants, and N (west of 28th) Streets were renamed in the late 90s.) The eastern end is about at 31st and Franklin. I'm not brave enough to go there.

Welcome Eddie!

Whats to be scared of? Hooligans?

.... but is there any way to get a larger and more comprehensive view of an area such as the entire length of Church Hill Tunnel? .....

JUST for you, BURT !!!! (the red star is just where I asked MapQuest to center).

The tunnel ran just about under Nolde's and the new firehouse. (I wonder if the soon-to-be-tenants will be made aware of the ghosts roaming the tunnel under their house?)

109892539_42a9d6c8d6.jpg

and try these links for a few details and rather recent pictures !!

http://www.vtunderground.com/other/churchhill.htm

http://fdelaitre.club.fr/Richmond.htm

JUST for you, BURT !!!! (the red star is just where I asked MapQuest to center).

The tunnel ran just about under Nolde's and the new firehouse. (I wonder if the soon-to-be-tenants will be made aware of the ghosts roaming the tunnel under their house?)

109892539_42a9d6c8d6.jpg

and try these links for a few details and rather recent pictures !!

http://www.vtunderground.com/other/churchhill.htm

http://fdelaitre.club.fr/Richmond.htm

OMG there's a VT tunneling website!?!? We used to explore those tunnels all the time back when I was in school. I didn't know they had become so famous :D Sorry, off-topic I know but I thought that was pretty neat.

Archived