Tobacco Row Developments

wrldcoupe4

We're getting slightly off topic... but I thought I'd add that I was able to access that Times-Dispatch article by Holmberg written in 1998 about his exploration of the tunnel (through school's library database... in lexis nexis).... pretty cool article.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So it was 1998? Wow time flies. I saved that article.

But the tunnel from a map I've seen has the tunnel crossing Broad about 28th St instead of 25th. But that's near about the fire station. And if it weren't for the Brileys, I wouldn't have been such a good boy!

• 1 month later...

Burt, if I remember correctly, work started on that building for conversion to apartments/condos a while back. I noticed work going on there over winter break. I think the target is end of 2006 for completion, though that may have changed.

Seems like there's lots of work going on in the Edgeworth still.

Cam, did you notice much work happening on the other end at Lucky Strike? All the funding is in place, so there shouldn't be many delays.

Does anyone know if work is going on at the big, tall old Chesterfield building at 20th and Cary? I think the project, covering a full block, is called Canal Lofts.

Work is continuing at the Canal Lofts, but they seem to be going pretty slowly. Someone who lives in the development told me they are adding a floor or two to the top of this building, which will be sold as condos. The rest will be apartments.

Work is progressing much faster at Edgeworth - I think they are working 6 or 7 days a week with a large team.

Thanks for the report update, bankrupt.

The Canal Loft building is already the tallest on Tobacco Row, so a couple of new floors would give it a total of 9 or 10 stories.

Speaking of rooftops, does anyone know what is in the ugly rooftop adornment to the Carolina Building in the Row? My guess is that it must house mechanical elements; but I don't find it very attractive.

I saw in an architect's website posted on RCW that the base of the smoke stack at American Tobacco Apartments has been converted to a cigar smoking room for tenants. That's a unique, tho appropriate, use of smoke stacks! :lol:

I know I saw 26th St blocked off while some kind of work was going on. I didn't get close to those buildings Monday.

And hey, you know Burt? It's fun up there! Actually I'm still on land, it's just thanks to our topography, it can look like it's way up in the air! It's like a mound of earth that rises above Dock/Water St. between the other tracks. I waited up there for a train to come by for a little over a half hour and nothing! After I left, I watched 3 trains go by!

• 1 month later...

Work is continuing at the Canal Lofts, but they seem to be going pretty slowly. Someone who lives in the development told me they are adding a floor or two to the top of this building, which will be sold as condos. The rest will be apartments.

Work is progressing much faster at Edgeworth - I think they are working 6 or 7 days a week with a large team.

Ryan, over st RCW, has among his newest gallery, a picture looking east from I think the new 14th & Main garage. In it, you can see that work is going on at Canal Lofts and it appears that at least one story is being added.

The warehouse being converted to offices seems to be coming along quite well. The exterior has started to receive a nice coat of paint while the smoke stack renovation appears to nearly complete. I am curious on how the windows will look like.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice picture of Lucky Strike. And yes, the skyway shows in both. Where is (or was) the yellow research buiilding? It might have been out on Jeff Davis Hwy near Model Tobacco.

Note in the black and white the building east of Lucky reading "Store Fixtures". It's long gone, of course.

There used to be kinda sleezy looking bar at the corner of Main and Pear where the mid-rise apartment house is now.

The former American Tobacco research building is located on Jefferson Davis Highway in Richmond. It is located directly across the street from a still active Philip Morris tobacco processing plant. The American building today is owned by the City of Richmond is is used by the public utilities department. It includes former tobacco warehouses and the former American Stemmery building.

Jonn, the Model Tobacco Building is still down there on the Pike, isn't it? Architectually, it's very interesting. Who occupies it now?

Back to Tobacco Row, it's nice to hear from Wrldcoupe that work is progressing on the Lucky Strike property on Cary between 26th and Pear Streets.

• 1 month later...

Well... Lucky Strike, Edgeworth, and the big white one Burt asks about (the name escapes me) are all definitely undergoing pretty substantial renovation. Haven't seen much action at the Lucky Strike Power Plant though. I couldn't tell that much had happened at Haxall View eitehr. When they are all complete though, Tobacco Row will have been officially and successfully re-used.

Well... Lucky Strike, Edgeworth, and the big white one Burt asks about (the name escapes me) are all definitely undergoing pretty substantial renovation. Haven't seen much action at the Lucky Strike Power Plant though. I couldn't tell that much had happened at Haxall View eitehr. When they are all complete though, Tobacco Row will have been officially and successfully re-used.

The big white one I believe is called Canal Lofts, phase 3. It was either a Phillip Morris or Chesterfield (Ligget & Myers) plant in the old days. One of those warehouses on Tobacco Row had a roof-top, block-long electric sign reading "Chesterfield" as late as the 1950s. And speaking of electric signs, there used to be a huge one at the foot of 9th street on the James where Riverfront Plaza is now. It read "OLD MANSION COFFEE" and the coffee plant was in the building supporting the sign.

And on the subject of names, isn't Ethyl now called Newport, or similar?

• 1 month later...

Archived