Tobacco Row Developments

wrldcoupe4

"Law is coming to Shockoe Bottom!" Hirschler Fleischer on the move to Historic Edgeworth Building. Completion date of December '06.

Yeah, they're the last independent tenant still in the Fed building. They were told they'd have to leave at the end of their lease. As it is, it's a hassle and a half for their clients right now, since they can no longer pull up in the circular driveway or use the main entrance.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly, plus I'm sure the place needed a new roof. The tracks are in use and I think it is about once a day. I can't remember the last time I saw a train on them, but there's evidence they're still used like trains on the other portion of the tracks or cars on the brige over the James. In the movie, the Jackal, they used them in the end scene where Great Ship Lock Park magically becomes a cemetery!

The elevated rail line you see in a lot of those pics goes right along Richmond's riverfront. In fact, it travels literally feet from Vistas and Riverside on the James. From people that live in Riverside, I've heard that the train is barely noticeable. I don't think it's that noticeable in Tobacco Row either believe it or not.

That track gets tons of use (dozen trains or more a day perhaps?). It carries coal cars to Newport News in addition to the Amrack train to Newport News/ Williamsburg ( one to, one from for a total of two Amrack trips daily). It is rare to spend any time around the canal, at Bottoms Up or down at the pipeline without seeing a train.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention that the 350 or so apartments done by Forest City in Tobacco Row are over 95% leased :thumbsup:

The Lucky Strike will add about 140 more. Completion is set for late 2007.

Isn't part of the Lucky Strike going to be commercial?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, it started sometime in the spring/early summer. Should be ready next year.

Double Yep, :lol: I watched progress frequently. each time, there would be a changed window frame, or a new cut for a window. Things are going on down there and a chain link fence is around the corner to keep pedestrians out.

It looks like the building immediatly east of the Lucky Strike building is for sale. It used to say "Retail coming Spring 2006". I'm disappointed because I saw some cool renderings of what this building would look like developed last year at the Richmond Renaissance meeting at ROTJ. Hopefully some other developer will jump on it since almost all of Tobacco Row is/will be developed.

Just thought I'd mention that the 350 or so apartments done by Forest City in Tobacco Row are over 95% leased :thumbsup:

The Lucky Strike will add about 140 more. Completion is set for late 2007.

Coupe, don't forget the two buildings between 23rd and 25th that are not Forest City projects. Old Original Bookbinders is in one of them. I believe Abeloff got them off the ground. Anyway, they have about 250 apartments between them and as far as I know enjoy excellent occupancy. So the total for Tobacco Row is about 600 apartments, plus Cutters Ridge. Lucky Strike will add another 140 and Canal Walk Lofts will add an unknown number in its renovated tower.

By the way, Shak, when you said in this thread that Canal Walk construction is under way, I assume you meant Canal Walk Lofts, not the actual continuation of the walk itself. So far, all I've seen of actual work on the eastern extension of the walk is some shoring-up of stone wharfs in the canal itself.

All of you guys should take the Canal Boat tour next spring when they start up again. And I hope you get the guide I had. :)

I haven't forgotten about them, in fact I know someone who works for that company doing management for their Tobacco Row properties... I just didn't have the data for those, only Forest City :thumbsup:

Some of the interior apartments in the McKinney and Cameron buildings (Abeloff's) are super. I haven't been in River Lofts (Forest City's).

haha I know someone who lives in Riverlofts that says it's also great inside. His apt. has something like 13ft ceilings.

If you recall my recent comments about Lady Bird (Toads), the guy I tagged "Spacy" lives in River Lofts and says the trains keep him awake all night. I've never heard complaints from other occupants.

Archived