Parkway Plaza

DigitalSky

Looks like Parkway Plaza's Wal-mart is closed now in Lexington. The center has now lost its Ingle's and Wal-Mart. The sole anchor left is Belk. The center has awesome visibility from I-85 though. I hope anchors come in and save it, Possibly Target and Harris Teeter which Lexington doesn't have. (to put into perspective, Lexington has 5 Food Lion stores and a Bi-Lo).

PDF w/ photos, Aerial photo http://www.collinscommprop.com/listings/pd...kwy_05-0228.pdf

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, parkway plaza is kinda dead now. Dollar Tree, Goodys and a few other shops are all thats down there. There were talks in the paper of luring a Target or Home Depot to the site but I dont know of any updates. Buy the way, the new wal-mart up the street is already attracting new retail. The city just approved constrution of a small shopping plaza beside Bi-lo(Southern Family).

I wouldn't count on seeing any other chain grocer's licking their lips over Ingle's old location. Based on Lexington's demographics, Food Lion and Wal-Mart would reign supreme. Even a Target would be questionable for this city.

Maybe a Big Lots or national office supply store will look at the space...

I wouldn't count on seeing any other chain grocer's licking their lips over Ingle's old location. Based on Lexington's demographics, Food Lion and Wal-Mart would reign supreme. Even a Target would be questionable for this city.

You might be right unfortunately. Food Lion and Wal-Mart... ugh.

IDK what would come there. I think Harris Teeter is still possible. Considering the location to 85 and being near High Rock Lake. The demographics are probley better in this area and the country club is right up the street near Wal-mart. That it self is another factor, as Wal-Mart is cheaper than Food Lion and Bi-lo. But also keep in mind that Harris Teeter is closing alot of it's small town stores. I kno the one in Statesville is closing and Lexington is similar in size. But only time will tell.

Is the one that was in Downtown Lexington still there or did this one replace it? (and when if so)
I think this Belk replaced the one in Downtown Lexington in the late '80s or early '90s. It may have also replaced the Thomasville store, but I think Belk closed that one when they rebuilt in High Point.

Article about the *new* Lexington Wal-Mart. http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1137833578190 apparently it's a new design.

The new ones on Elm Street in Greensboro and in Mebane also have a "new design"...different colors and different flooring and ceilings than usual. The main difference though, between the old Lexington Store and the new one though will be the differences we see as any walmart goes from being a regular store to a supercenter. (24 hrs...tire center...banking....larger selection of merchandise....and of course groceries including a bakery.)

I think this Belk replaced the one in Downtown Lexington in the late '80s or early '90s. It may have also replaced the Thomasville store, but I think Belk closed that one when they rebuilt in High Point.

Thanks for the info. I only went there once (to the downtown Lexington Belk), and it would have been in 1985 or 1986. It sort of reminded me a little of the way that Belk in Friendly Center Greensboro looked at that time as well. (before their renovations)

Thanks for the info. I only went there once (to the downtown Lexington Belk), and it would have been in 1985 or 1986. It sort of reminded me a little of the way that Belk in Friendly Center Greensboro looked at that time as well. (before their renovations)
The downtown Lexington Belk was probably done or redone in the '60s. I remember how those stores felt. Kinda nice but somewhat dated. I grew up with Belks and Leggets like that :)

Oh yeah, and the one in Mebane also had a Subway (as opposed to McDonalds that is in many of their supercenters like Burlington and Hillsborough) Does the one in Lexington that has just opened have a Subway or?? for their on site eatery?

Lexington's Wal-mart has a McDonalds inside. It does have a diffrent design than most. The floors are like a pinkish, brown color. They also have alot of pedestrian crossings all over the parking lot. It reminds me of the Salisbury one but a little newer.

I've seen rode by Elm Street one, but didn't get a good look at it. As for ours, it's a light tan color. The gas station also just opened up this past weekend. It's a little cheaper than some stations in town. Will probley be doing our grocery shopping this weekend down there so ill take some pics and show u.

Actually they are called simply Radio Grills. I think there's a trend of Wal-Mart replacing these restaurants which are actually run by Wal-Mart employees, with national franchised restaurants, which is run independently of Wal-Mart, the space rented to the restaurant. It's probably another way for the stores to make money....

Archived