San Antonio II

maxus

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once again nice pics and thanks for sharing them. Is that one building the Alamodome? I don't think I've seen a lot of outside shots of it so I'm not sure.

Yes Mith 242,

The Alamodome was meant to be built as the home stadium for a professional football team that has yet to materialize. We did have some "home" games played this year for the displaced New Orleans saints which were filled to capacity (65,000). The Alamodome is also home to other annual events such as the AlamoBowl-college bowl games as well as large concerts and other larger scale events. Take note however that the design of the structure is more like that of a suspension bridge rather than a "dome". Therefore the name, "AamoDOME" is a misnomer. The building has a rectangular footprint that sits just east of IH 37 on the eastern edge of the central business district. There has never been any major land development in the surrounding area however there is the entertainment zone just north of the building called Sunset Depot which was once a major train depot for the area. Amtrack now schedules passenger trains that leave to points north up to Chicago. Let me know if you have any other questions about our city. I'd be glad to answer and thanks for the reply.

M.

Yes Mith 242,

The Alamodome was meant to be built as the home stadium for a professional football team that has yet to materialize. We did have some "home" games played this year for the displaced New Orleans saints which were filled to capacity (65,000). The Alamodome is also home to other annual events such as the AlamoBowl-college bowl games as well as large concerts and other larger scale events. Take note however that the design of the structure is more like that of a suspension bridge rather than a "dome". Therefore the name, "AamoDOME" is a misnomer. The building has a rectangular footprint that sits just east of IH 37 on the eastern edge of the central business district. There has never been any major land development in the surrounding area however there is the entertainment zone just north of the building called Sunset Depot which was once a major train depot for the area. Amtrack now schedules passenger trains that leave to points north up to Chicago. Let me know if you have any other questions about our city. I'd be glad to answer and thanks for the reply.

M.

Thanks for all the info. What else is the 'Alamodome' used for? I think they used to play NBA games there but don't the Spurs play somewhere else now? Or maybe I'm wrong on that. By the way this is the perfect time for me to say, Go Spurs. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I somehow missed this thread when it was posted. Those are great photos, and San Antonio is a really nice city. I wish I'd taken more photos... and had a digital camera... last time I was down there. I took maybe 5 photos over the 4 days I was down there last time, and those all were taken with a throw-away camera I picked up at the Eckerd store down on the Riverwalk. :lol:

Thank you for sharing these photos of such a beautiful city. :)

Archived