New Roanoke Forumers

weill

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome bmedguy! From Chicago to Roanoke is quite a change but I am glad you are happy where you are. I hope to visit Chi Town one day myself. I would love to visit someday soon.

Thanks! Yeah, it literally took me a few YEARS to adjust, but I really do like it here now. My advice on visiting the big city, avoid January and February! June is amazing in terms of the variety of stuff going on. It is still my home away from home as I have been back to visit friends at least once each year since I moved here. In fact my family is all headed that way next week on a great midwest roadtrip to see family and friends that will hit Indianapolis, Chicago, Des Moines and Kansas City. If you ever do get a chance, I would be happy to give suggestions on things to do.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm a new member on this forum or at least Urban Planet. org.

my name is 14gameshows (pronounced one for gameshows) you may know this handle from another famous gameshow board on the internet as we speak. ANyways, I've been facinated on the topics here and I hope to contribute here on a regular basis and find out great things and share great things.

Thanks!

Hello, I'm a new member on this forum or at least Urban Planet. org.

my name is 14gameshows (pronounced one for gameshows) you may know this handle from another famous gameshow board on the internet as we speak. ANyways, I've been facinated on the topics here and I hope to contribute here on a regular basis and find out great things and share great things.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Born in Roanoke back in the 80s. a year before the JCPenney renovation at Tanglewood AND three years before Valley View was completed and opened for business. Still here in Roanoke. Thank you for the welcomes.
We're glad to have you here. You would have loved the old JCPenney Tanglewood. It was almost Technicolor inside :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, all:

I'm a 37 year old software developer living in Washington, DC. For the past year my wife and I have been researching different cities in North Carolina and Virginia with the plan of moving. At this point, Roanoke is at the top of the list. There are several reasons for that:

1. There seem to be a good amount of parks and green spaces.

2. The downtown area has a lot going for it already and seems to have a lot of room to grow.

3. There are several neighborhoods that seem ideal, including neighborhood-oriented places to walk to, etc.

4. Housing is cheap and there is good housing stock available.

5. We just have a sense of it being poised for interesting, high-quality growth.

6. The region has a lot of easily accessible natural beauty and recreational activities.

7. It seems like the kind of town that has room for entreprenurial energy, and it seems like the kind of town where you can get involved in shaping its future.

I'd be curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on our perceptions. Are we on target?

Hi, all:

I'm a 37 year old software developer living in Washington, DC. For the past year my wife and I have been researching different cities in North Carolina and Virginia with the plan of moving. At this point, Roanoke is at the top of the list. There are several reasons for that:

1. There seem to be a good amount of parks and green spaces.

2. The downtown area has a lot going for it already and seems to have a lot of room to grow.

3. There are several neighborhoods that seem ideal, including neighborhood-oriented places to walk to, etc.

4. Housing is cheap and there is good housing stock available.

5. We just have a sense of it being poised for interesting, high-quality growth.

6. The region has a lot of easily accessible natural beauty and recreational activities.

7. It seems like the kind of town that has room for entreprenurial energy, and it seems like the kind of town where you can get involved in shaping its future.

I'd be curious to see if anyone has any thoughts on our perceptions. Are we on target?

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear we are high on your list. Your perceptions are pretty spot on. In my opinion, Roanoke is waking from a deep slumber and seems to be on the cusp of becomming an even greater place to live. Here are my thoughts on your perceptions.

1. Green space is our best asset. The mountains are obviously easily accessible and if you like the outdoors you have plenty of ways to engage it here. Parks are decent and park space near downtown will increase significantly with the demolition of Victory Stadium. Greenways are expanding.

2. Downtown is a gem. We have a good start on rehab of old spaces but plenty more opportunities abound. I'd like to see more new construction in the parking lots that are for sale. It would add a lot to get some new buildings mixed with the old down there.

3. Definitely some walkable neighborhoods. Raleigh Court and South Roanoke are the only ones that have their own viable mini-downtown. They are also close to the city center. City plans have created "business corridors" in other neighborhoods where the hope is similar clusters of shops and restruants will develop. I live in Old Southwest which is next to downtown and I walk everywhere. Gainsboro is also a neigborhood in the immediate vicinity of downton. There is a new neighborhood under construction called Colonial Green which has mixed housing (single family, townhomes, condos and even brownstones) sidewalks, parks and a small business center of it's own. Vistited the first house and townhomes completed last weekend. Looks great.

4. Cheap is relative, but yeah compared to DC, you can get a lot for your money.

5. Lots of plans and a few tangible results to this point in terms of development (e.g. new art museum and some new retail development). We need more well paying jobs. The announcements of the NS intermodal facility and Carilion Clinic are big and should help. The continued development of the Riverside Park for Research and Technology will be crucial to our growth as well. Moving slowly, but moving nonetheless.

6. See #1

7. We need more entrepreneurs to continue to push the minset toward moving into quality growth and development. If you want to do that there, is an energy for it taking shape, and I think you will find plenty of opportunity.

Hope you decide on us. There is plenty to love.

• 2 weeks later...