Restaurants in Roanoke

weill

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

We go up from Raleigh to visit my inlaws in Roanoke about 4 times a year. There are some good restaurants that I feel locals take for granted. Some of those are Norberto's, Stephens, and The Library. I REALLY loved the Crystal Springs house next to 7-Eleven when it was The Meeting House. It's been followed by some stuff that wasn't nearly as good though. (It seems like every time we visit, the house is something new. I think Fork in the Road/Spoon In the Alley are two great concepts).

One place that I REALLY REALLY wish he had in Raleigh is Montano's. I am blown away by that menu. It is more diverse than The Cheesecake Factory (which has 71 sauces and dressings to support their menu). I've tried various cuisines on the menu and each was done justice. I have settled, however, on the Chicken Cacciatore. It is simply awesome. We end up getting take-out most of the time because of my mother-in-law's inability to get around easily, so CC is a good dish 20 minutes later.

I see a lot of clamoring for national chains on this board. We have all of the chains I've seen mentioned here except for Ukrops, and I have to say that most of us in Raleigh rarely ever visit most of them. I think that Carrabba's, Cheesecake Factory, P.F. Changs, Maggiano's, Firebird's, Chik-Fil-A, and (RIP) Smokey Bones have good food. The rest? Well, I'd be just happy with the nice local restaurants that Roanoke is lucky to have. In Raleigh we are seeing a bit of a resurgence of locally-owned and produced restaurants, finally. We got chained out and forgot what good food was.

Glad to hear you like thet Roanoke restaurants, dmccall :). There are some great ones out there! I like Billy's Ritz and, Nico's and Thai Orchid pretty well, in addition to the ones you mentioned.

I got a tour of 202 Market yesterday from Bill Carder, who's one of the partners in the venture. It's a spectacular looking restaurant, especially the '202 Kitchen' portion. Very classy, especially for Roanoke, though I have yet to eat there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An article in Roanoke Times says that Billy's Ritz will be closing as the owners are retiring after 27 years. I only ate there twice, but enjoyed myself on both occassions. I guess that means the wine and cheese shop they run will close as well. They are in negotiation with a buyer for the building and it sounds like it is close to a done deal. Who the buyer is and how much it is going for are hush hush at the moment. All the article says is that it is not the art museum. That is a very prime piece of real estate between the new museum and the market building. It will be interesting to see what plans the new owners have for it. It has great potential for addition downtown living.

A few years ago I did a photoshoot for the band Shakespace and we used the upper floors there for the location. My first thought was that it would make for some really cool apartments. No that was my second thought. My first thought to duck because there were pigeons flying around all over the place. I'll have to dig some of those photos out and scan them.

Here's one that I have on the computer already.

post-4847-1187892557_thumb.jpg

post-4847-1187892557_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been to Mix One 6 (16 W Campbell, former location of Dolce)?

How about Gunthers O'Darby Pub (303 S. Jefferson St - former Kara O'Caen's Pub)?

I went to Blue 5 a few weeks ago for drinks and enjoyed the experience. Blue 5 - at 312 2nd Street, has a decent size stage, where some jazz musicians were putting on a good show during my visit. The menu looks appetizing and pretty low priced. The atmosphere is nice... just shy of swanky. Lots of good beers on tap, and the liquor prices were decent.

I've had lunch there a few times. I can only hope the regular menu is better tasting than the buffet, which can be frustratingly inconsistent. In terms of atmosphere and service, it's decent, but unimpressive.

I do like the new Blues BBQ next to 202 Market. They have a great menu and good prices what you get.

I've had lunch there a few times. I can only hope the regular menu is better tasting than the buffet, which can be frustratingly inconsistent. In terms of atmosphere and service, it's decent, but unimpressive.

I do like the new Blues BBQ next to 202 Market. They have a great menu and good prices what you get.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Blue five last Saturday for diner and really enjoyed it. I had the shrimp and grits and give it high marks. My wife had a seafood pasta dish and said it was good, but not outstanding. Service was quite good and it was a lively atmosphere. It has a large seating capacity and the place was full. I recommend it.

Archived