ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

^really though? This is just another unoriginal BBarch design. How about some variation? I'd rather have a building with classical elements that is less flashy than another one of these clumsy glass and precast stone buildings. The only building they've done to perfection is the South Eola condo building on Central.

Blame the owner, not the architect. They do what they are told (if they are good anyway) and stick to a budget.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

good find.

I like it. I sure as hec like anything at the moment being in this downturn, but that's a good looking building nevertheless. And it will do wonders for Uptown's density.

755 plus 800 North (Ustler's project) will add so much to that neighborhood. And if the post-Verde project also goes up just north of 801 North Orange, that would be huge.

Now, it does look like they are clearing the site for the 755 project. Is that what's going on; are they getting ready to build this thing?

I like the new Verde. It's nothing compared to the old Verde. But hey, it's different times now. If Orlando could fill in Uptown during the economic downturn, I would consider that a major success.

The density of these two projects will make the drive/walk on Orange very nice. Maybe eventually a seamless transition from Uptown to the CBD (we still need to do something with that Pizzulti lot... haha)

The sentinel says this guy wants it complete by 2011 and that he's close to securing financing. We all know how that goes.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...0,3583777.story

don't be too surprised if it does get financing. I know another developer who is close to getting financing or already has it for a building he's developing closer to the CBD.

wow. I hadn't seen this article before. That's very promising. Theoretically, we could have 755 and GAI both going vertical within a few months time.

GAI seems like a done deal b/c of the tenant situation and 755 seems to be on it's way; but both have to secure the financing.

yeah, this thing will be quite taller than 801 N. Orange, and 801 is pretty visible from I-4 for being only 8 stories.

Theoretically, we could have 755 and GAI both going vertical within a few months time.

GAI seems like a done deal b/c of the tenant situation and 755 seems to be on it's way; but both have to secure the financing.

What is this 755 of which you speak? The new Pizzuti is 777.

I think I screwed up a few posts back saying 800 instead of the 801.

Pizzuti is a legit company and they will get financing if they are able to get an anchor tenant for at least 50% of the space (probably more like 60% in today's market). But, that is iffy. Tenant demand is non-existant right now. I know the article says they have tenants, but that is questionable until they actually have the lease signed. Even after that, tenant's can back out like Dynetech did (now trying to sublease a full floor in their new building).

This is from last week. This is the space where the car wash place used to be and was most recently a makeshift homeless shelter. I didn't get pics today, but the building that is remaining on site looks like it is being prepped for demolition as well. Today, there were quite a few fire fighter around the building and also on the roof doing practice manuevers.

norange.jpg

Pizzuti is a legit company and they will get financing if they are able to get an anchor tenant for at least 50% of the space (probably more like 60% in today's market). But, that is iffy. Tenant demand is non-existant right now. I know the article says they have tenants, but that is questionable until they actually have the lease signed. Even after that, tenant's can back out like Dynetech did (now trying to sublease a full floor in their new building).

there's got to be somewhat of a demand for office space, being that that 1M SQ FT development is underway at Maitland Center and that other development of similar size north of COlonial Towne Park is also slated to begin soon. I know that's not downtown, but it should be somewhat of an indicator.

Sort of off topic, but how much corporate presence does Orlando have? I know there are very few fortume 500's, but how about small caps? How is Orlando for office demand?

I know it as a weak corporate city outside of tourism. but I know times change. any opinions?

Clearly 1M SF of office is one statement :)

Sort of off topic, but how much corporate presence does Orlando have? I know there are very few fortume 500's, but how about small caps? How is Orlando for office demand?

I know it as a weak corporate city outside of tourism. but I know times change. any opinions?

JetBlue has a presence here. Siemens also does. Martin Lockheed, Darden Restaurants HQ, AAA HQ, HD Supply HQ, Harcourt Publishing... Cirent Semiconductor used to. Tupperware HQ is here. EA Tiburon. Ruth's Chris HQ. Hard Rock Cafe HQ. Planet Hollywood HQ or used to be here. Suntrust of Fla. HQ if I recall correctly.

I know Allstate, Travellers, Progressive, Charles Schwaab, Blue Cross, and Grumman are also here. A division of Mitsubishi is here. Coleman Aerospace. Perhaps Banco Popular's Fla HQ is here as well- not sure. Airtran's HQ is here. I'm leaving out alot. Lowes Hotels has a building off of Turkey Lake Rd.

The Golf Channel's HQ is here. Burnham is now here. Superchannel 55's HQ is here also. Goodings' HQ is or was here before Winn-Dixie bought them out. Transcontinental was here (Pearlman's production co.). Rosen hotels;

Tourism employs a minority of the residents here by far.

I think saying that tourism is a minor employer in Central Florida is a very long stretch. It is the lifeblood of this city, but so is NASA and the defense jobs that have been created around it. Central Florida is ground zero for simulation and training companies as noted by a story in today's Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...0,6796271.story

"With more than 100 companies and about 20,000 employees, Central Florida's simulation industry is considered the hub of the nation's military training."

That is a lot of high-paying engineering companies that exist in Research Park by the University of Central Florida. The east side of Orlando is dominated by technology and engineering companies, while the west side of the city (the older part) is where a lot of the theme park and hotel execs live.

Outside of defense, Oracle has a big support center by the airport, and then you have Symantec, EA Sports, Bonnier Corporation, Pentaho, and XOS technologies.

For office demand, downtown and the east side of town by the airport is where the growth is going to be for the same reasons listed above with technology and the new medical city being built:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/or...,0,417443.story

The research park listed above is just about out of room.

I did not want to derail a stickied thread, so maybe this could all be ripped out into a new thread by a moderator...

but it seems its too late.

Regarding the companies listed its not really impressing me as a corporate hot spot. I see how they employ a ton of people. Hell Orlando would not have been one of the fastest growing cities without offering a ton of jobs, but those companies are not really a corporate presence at all they are an employment presence.

what about insurance, finance, accounting firms, law firms ect? anything locally grown?

it seems like most things are regional HQ, or just an operations center.

JetBlue has a presence here. Siemens also does. Martin Lockheed, Darden Restaurants HQ, AAA HQ, HD Supply HQ, Harcourt Publishing... Cirent Semiconductor used to. Tupperware HQ is here. EA Tiburon. Ruth's Chris HQ. Hard Rock Cafe HQ. Planet Hollywood HQ or used to be here. Suntrust of Fla. HQ if I recall correctly.

I know Allstate, Travellers, Progressive, Charles Schwaab, Blue Cross, and Grumman are also here. A division of Mitsubishi is here. Coleman Aerospace. Perhaps Banco Popular's Fla HQ is here as well- not sure. Airtran's HQ is here. I'm leaving out alot. Lowes Hotels has a building off of Turkey Lake Rd.

The Golf Channel's HQ is here. Burnham is now here. Superchannel 55's HQ is here also. Goodings' HQ is or was here before Winn-Dixie bought them out. Transcontinental was here (Pearlman's production co.). Rosen hotels;

Does anyone have a link to say the 100 largest employers?

or companies employing more than 100 office workers?

many of the companies listed are in tourism either directly or indirectly. Hospitality anyways. I made them itallics.

These are the ones I think of when I think corporate presence

"I know Allstate, Travellers, Progressive, Charles Schwaab, Blue Cross, and Grumman are also here. A division of Mitsubishi is here. Coleman Aerospace. Perhaps Banco Popular's Fla HQ is here as well- not sure."

are there any home grown corporations charging up the Russell 2000?

I am interested simply because Orlando may be in my future, and my wife is current an Executive Assistant for a CEO, so it would be ideal for her to find comperable work down there if anything were to happen.

Largest employers from the Book of Lists.

Business Name Employees

Walt Disney World Co. 62,000

Orange County Public Schools 23,373

Darden Restaurants Inc. 21,372

Florida Hospital Orlando 16,000

Orlando Regional Healthcare 14,300

Seminole County Public Schools 8,365

Westgate Resorts/C. Fla. Investments 7,220

Lockheed Martin 7,000

Orange County Government 6,893

Lake County Public School District 6,160

SeaWorld Orlando 6,000

UPS 5,335

Rosen Hotels & Resorts 5,000

Walgreen Co. 4,025

City of Orlando 3,200

Valencia Community College 2,938

Wyndham Vacation Ownership 2,856

Southwest Airlines 2,332

Central Florida YMCA 2,300

The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort 2,000

The Villages of Lake-Sumter Inc. 1,951

Convergys 1,950

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center 1,914

Wachovia Bank N.A. 1,900

Seminole Community College 1,658

Health Central 1,623

Largest employers from the Book of Lists.

Business Name Employees

Walt Disney World Co. 62,000

Orange County Public Schools 23,373

Darden Restaurants Inc. 21,372

Florida Hospital Orlando 16,000

Orlando Regional Healthcare 14,300

Seminole County Public Schools 8,365

Westgate Resorts/C. Fla. Investments 7,220

Lockheed Martin 7,000

Orange County Government 6,893

Lake County Public School District 6,160

SeaWorld Orlando 6,000