ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

Blue Rose and WTC were pipe dreams. About 50-75% of all "proposed" projects don't get built. You have to look at the developer, their track record, demand for the product type, etc. to determine whether it is a legit project or not. The latest info on downtown developments can be found here: Downtown Orlando Development Activity {sodEmoji.|} DowntownOrlando.com. Use your own discretion to determine which ones you think will get built. rolleyes.gif

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. Its sad to see go projects go nowhere because of what happened in the economy 07-09 smh

In all honesty, it's what happened before that. i.e. massive value increases from 2003-2006 while you could always move further out when gas prices were cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you all think will become of Orlando in the next decade?

I see Parramore becoming the new Harlem, in terms of when it went through rebirth in the early 1920's -1940's.

Lake Nona....booming!

Disney......great as always!

Downtown...not much change, most of the land unoccupied by the Lynx Bus Station and North Orange will remain the same. I believe Downtown will look the same now in 20 years without bold steps and initiatives within City Hall.

I don't know if Orlando really wants to be a great city comparable to Miami and Tampa.

Orlando has what it takes to draw major business and creative people from around the world to Central Florida but I'm not sure they are taking steps in that direction in a bold and meaningful way outside of DPAC, Amway Center and Florida Citrus Bowl renovation.

What say you all?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I live three doors down from the site but I am getting anxious for this thing to finally get started. That lot is becoming an eyesore. Also, I think there might be some Summerlin improvements underneath the 408 as part of this project and I really would like to see that work done.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I live three doors down from the site but I am getting anxious for this thing to finally get started. That lot is becoming an eyesore. Also, I think there might be some Summerlin improvements underneath the 408 as part of this project and I really would like to see that work done.

If you haven't noticed yet, this morning trucks were on the site dumping dirt. Hopefully it's a sign of the kick off of construction.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Baker Barrios...what'd you expect? :whistling:

I could use the "at least development is ongoing" line but that doesn't seem to justify that Baker Barrios has single handedly turned the South Eola neighborhood into an awkward arraignment of over-sized, over-stylized buildings that are underused. The scale of the neighborhood, or what was once the scale of the neighborhood, begs for small footprints and curb appeal. That's not what we're getting here. These buildings scream "anywhere".

I could use the "at least development is ongoing" line but that doesn't seem to justify that Baker Barrios has single handedly turned the South Eola neighborhood into an awkward arraignment of over-sized, over-stylized buildings that are underused. The scale of the neighborhood, or what was once the scale of the neighborhood, begs for small footprints and curb appeal. That's not what we're getting here. These buildings scream "anywhere".

You're of course exactly right. This is why we should all thank our lucky stars that Bill Frederick, city planners and activists at the time were able to save North Eola, Thornton Park, Lake Lawsona, Lake Davis/Cherokee, etc. In defense of what happened, though, the even uglier retirement towers that went in during the 70's probably sealed South Eola's fate. I also address how all this might be a silver lining over in the other thread about downtown retail/Fashion Square.

Great to see folks posting again- I was suffering from withdrawal!

• 2 weeks later...

That's why those buildings are called International Style. From some aerial angles, South Eola looks like a Latin American Metropolis. I personally like it from the air. It is a little awkward on the ground though even I have to admit. I imagine that as the neighborhood upzones, some of the gaps will be filled in to make it more cohesive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That's why those buildings are called International Style. From some aerial angles, South Eola looks like a Latin American Metropolis. I personally like it from the air. It is a little awkward on the ground though even I have to admit. I imagine that as the neighborhood upzones, some of the gaps will be filled in to make it more cohesive.

I totally agree with you, south eola looks like a Latin American metropolis. It sometimes looks like scenery from Brazilian or Argentinian films. Hopefully once there is a

once development continues Orlando will continue too expand on this unique area, which is not a lame waterfront condo district but something that is different in Floridas cities, an inland downtown multi family district of urban apartments and condos, like park or 5tha ve in nyc. And with gasoline heading up towards $10 a gallon in the near future and high speed rail coming to the area, what a fine neighborhood!

• 1 month later...

Archived