ARCHIVE: Downtown Orlando Master List

bobliocatt

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know what the buildings are that are surrounding Star Tower. But on the lower left hand of the pic (or across the street and south of the building) you sort of see the Brownstones. They are located between South and Jackson.

So what's the deal with the Performing Arts Center? Will it be built anytime soon? The design is very impressive! It'll be nice to see some real theatrical productions, instead of the Voyages of Sinbad, Medival Times, and the Country Bear Jamboree, lol. Although, those are impressive...

The performing art center project is still up in the air. Our Mayor Buddy Dyer is determined to get it built. But so far, we dont have the money. I think the price tag is 350 millions dollars.

I think they should just ask Disney to build it for the naming right or something like that similar the Disney Concert Hall in LA.

The current performing art center is small. I dont think it is a building built as Performing art center. Besides, it is not an equity theatre.

It will definitely look better, we will have 4 cluster of highrise.

One would be around Suntrust building, with 3 major tall buildings include Suntrust, the new Plaza and the upcoming 55Wesst and continue to Eola Park.

2nd cluster would be the Bank of America, Courthouse and the View.

3 would be the 7 skyscrapers at uptown where 3 midrises would be joined by 4 ranged from 18 to 30 floors resdiential buildings.

a small cluster would be at the Md Anderson Cancer Center + the new Alnord Palmer Expansion, and the baby and mother hospital (not sure how many floors) and a few existing highrises hospital.

Only if there is an angle to take the pictures that joined them all together would be great.

Eola South/Thornton is also an emerging midrise skyline.

I hope someday that the courthouse and suntrust skylines merge into one, I know I'm asking for a lot, but because it all lies along Orange, eventually it will happen...later rather than sooner, perhaps. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if the Parramore district goes vertical at some point once the revitalization of the area takes place. I know theyt were throwing the idea around.

I think all this growth will actually make Orlando less and less photogenic. At least until Suntrust and the Courthouse are finally connected by skyline. You'll have to take half a dozen photos to get it all. More if Parramore joins in.

I think all this growth will actually make Orlando less and less photogenic. At least until Suntrust and the Courthouse are finally connected by skyline. You'll have to take half a dozen photos to get it all. More if Parramore joins in.

i'll take less photogenic for more vibrancy anyday. Though I do admit that 55w is probably going to make the Suntrust cluster uglier, but everything is densely packed in the same areas. The same photos taken today will capture it all, because its all along the 1-4 corridor.

Orlando can be photogenic. The view from Lake Eola will be better when all the towers are done.

Our neighbour city has a very photogenic skyline but the downtown is dead.

Dowtown Orlando is far from dead. Just cant wait to go to downtown to watch a movie.

Just a forecast, once the theatre open, people that go to movie in downtown will start complaing about the parking fees. It happended in Daytona.

Suitt Construction Co. will build JetBlue's new $75 million training center at Orlando International Airport.

The Greenville, S.C.-based company's Orlando office has been awarded the design-build contract for the project, which JetBlue announced last year.

Pursuant to the contract, Suit will manage the design and construction of the 100,000-square-foot building. Initially, the building will house eight pilot flight training simulators. JetBlue will have the capacity to expand that operation in phases to accommodate between 12 and 16 simulators.

Other facility features will include two cabin training simulators, an auditorium and multiple classrooms.

Construction is set for completion in spring 2005.

Canadian developer snaps up land near convention center

An international resort developer is now sitting on the doorstep of the Orange County Convention Center, on property once destined to be expansion space for Universal Orlando.

The 29.5-acre tract was purchased recently by a subsidiary of Intrawest Corp., a Vancouver, British Columbia-based company that calls itself the world's leading operator and developer of village-centered resorts. The property is on Universal Boulevard, near the convention center's north entrance.

Intrawest officials could not be reached for comment, but convention center officials say the move bodes well for the area.

"This could be perfect for us," said Tom Ackert, convention center executive director. "The north concourse is kind of isolated. This could complement the civic center with additional accommodations."

Intrawest, founded in the late 1970s, develops and operates resorts with extensive amenities and village centers with condominiums, shops and restaurants.

The company's operations include several widely known ski resorts such as Whistler Blackcomb, north of Vancouver, and Squaw Valley near Lake Tahoe in northern California.

Intrawest also is involved in warm-weather resorts, including a major beach and golf resort under development at Sandestin in the Florida Panhandle.

Real estate experts familiar with Intrawest's operations predict the company's local plans will include a condominium/hotel resort complex, with shops and restaurants.

Frank Herring, president of St. Joe Commercial Co., a subsidiary of real estate giant St. Joe Co., is familiar with Intrawest's Panhandle development and several other of its properties.

"They do a first-class job," Herring said. "You can expect a very high-quality development."

No plans for the property have been filed yet with Orange County.

The 29.5 acres bought by Intrawest are part of what remains of 2,280 acres Universal Orlando bought from Lockheed Martin Corp. in 1998. Universal sold off several parcels and eventually decided against expansion.

Last year, the company sold the remaining 1,780 acres to Atlanta developer Stan Thomas and his Orlando partner Marc Watson.

Thomas has been involved in several developments around the southeast, including a $60 million shopping center in Birmingham, Ala. He and Watson bought Universal City Property Management III LLC, the holding company for the former Lockheed Martin land.

Watson, who said he has "a very small" equity position in the venture, was overseeing planning of the property for Universal when it was put up for sale. He previously participated in the development of Islands of Adventure.

Watson said the sales contract with Intrawest calls for the resort developer to build a high-end mixed-use village much like the Sandestin Panhandle property. Thomas and Watson, though not partners with Intrawest, will do a retail component of the Intrawest project.

The Intrawest village will help "create lodging places the convention center needs," while still being attractive for visiting families, Watson said.

Planning is still under way for the rest of the former Lockheed Martin acreage.

Still in the works is the lengthy cleanup of industrial polution left by the defense contractor. The new owners bought what remains of the pollution cleanup liability when they bought the Universal holding company. It could take another seven to 10 years before the effort is complete, Watson said.

The property Intrawest bought fronts Universal Boulevard, an artery that parallels International Drive on the east and connects Interstate 4 on the north with the Bee Line Expressway on the south.

Real estate experts expect an explosion of development along the highway.

But don't look for a replica of the tackier stretches of I-Drive, even on stretches not part of the former Lockheed Martin block.

"That property is going to be very high priced," said Susan Lawrence, president of Real Estate Strategies Inc., an Orlando commercial real estate brokerage. "That, and the county's goal of a nice appearance around the civic center, should ensure a higher level of development than much of I-Drive."

Intrawest paid $19.55 million for the 29.51 acres. That's more than $662,000 an acre.

Universal is still peripherally involved in the property through a lawsuit fighting Orange County's attempt to strip the property of its agriculture exemption for 2002 property taxes. Universal claimed it was using the acreage as a tree farm.

_________________________________________________________--

Another project for Orlando

• 2 weeks later...

Archived