Jonestown Road

Tre 4

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to say it but that's pretty much the fate of any auto-oriented sprawl development. A couple decades of prosperity and then inevitable decline. There's nothing to keep people and business around when the Next Big Thing is on the horizon. (literally and figuratively). Now sometimes areas can be retrofitted and redeveloped at a higher density to attract more clients/residents. But I'm not sure I can see this happening here.

Well, being at the end of Hanes Mall Blvd hasn't brought any help. It probably has helped to keep people away thanks to additional traffic at that interchange. There is development there, the new Flow Lexus dealership and Shopping Center that will replace Jonestown Baptist Church(even though I am miffed they aren't going to move the cemetary, I have a aunt and uncle buried there and now they'll get to spend eternity in the parking lot of a shopping center :angry: !)

Well, being at the end of Hanes Mall Blvd hasn't brought any help. It probably has helped to keep people away thanks to additional traffic at that interchange. There is development there, the new Flow Lexus dealership and Shopping Center that will replace Jonestown Baptist Church(even though I am miffed they aren't going to move the cemetary, I have a aunt and uncle buried there and now they'll get to spend eternity in the parking lot of a shopping center :angry: !)

The Lexus dealership won't be on the church site but it will be further down near the bowling alley near I-40.

Here's an article about that whole deal

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone fell like I new store will replace the old Harris Teeter on Jonestown and what would it be, also when will construction start on the new Lexus dealership on Jonestown the grass has already being to grow back?

:whistling:

Some of the owners of the shopping center envision another grocery store like Fresh Market or Whole Foods. Some others say a store like TJMaxx would go in there just fine. The fact is that the old H-T needs a major renovation badly for any type of store to go in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, that a Whole Foods or a Fresh Market could do well in the former Kroger/Harris Teeter on Jonestown. It seems that corridor has kind of developed into small niche shops and the mainline stores are either at Harper Hill or on Hanes Mall Blvd. Took some pics out on Jonestown the other day.

Jonestown Baptist, soon to be more shopping!

I am not going discuss my being extremely disgusted at this development!!! Read previous posts.

Westchester Plaza

This used to have a Food Lion and a CVS?? The 89 tornado did a lot of damage, but nothing has ever been very successful here.

Old(newer) Health Club

Not sure why this fairly recent addition is now a ghost.

Strip Mall, niche shoppes

Successful retail on Jonestown does include a lot of "niche" shopping. Catering to crafters, scrapbookers, etc.

Another Strip Mall, more niche shoppes

see above

Same Strip Mall, more niche shoppes

see above

Old Kroger/Harris Teeter.

I think a Whole Foods/Fresh Market type store would work well here!

Rest of the Kroger/Harris Teeter Shopping Center

The rest of the center needs help, very poor traffic for a Saturday.

Abandoned Video Store

Moved to Harper Hill Commons

Newer mixed office/retail

Newer development

Shugart Headquarters

Newer development

Shoppes

Newer development

^im shocked that it is legal for a developer to build on top of a graveyard. even if they decide to move the graves, its still wrong. talk about disrespect.

Well, just to clarify, the graves are not to be moved and the cemetary is "somehow" supposed to be beautified and will be tastefully worked into the development. ??????? I guess they'll make it a park like setting in the parking lot???? Don't let me go ANY further...

:angry:

• 5 months later...

Anyone know what's going on in the old Kroger/Harris Teeter on Jonestown at Centre Stage?? They have asked rezoning and on the plans it says "proposed family entertainment center" Just curious....

Link to WS Planning Board case on Centre Stage Shopping Center

I don't know but I would guess it would be something like an indoor put-put center or a go-cart area.

is this the same shopping center that a Charlotte developer just bought?

Yes it is.

I used to go there quite often when the Harris Teeter store was located there and I still take my dry cleaning there but other than that, there is not much to attract me. They have resurfaced the parking lot and road and updated the roof recently but I think it will suffer the fate of other abandoned strip malls when a major tenant leaves for a new development.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived