Roanoke Streetcars

weill

So Roanoke has been thinking about putting Streetcars on Jefferson Street and other parts of downtown all the way to the 20 story Carilion in South Roanoke at the base of Mill Mountain...do you think it will happen? Also what are they building on south jefferson, right now it is 5 story frame, i dont know when they gon stop....biomedical park?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, but parking is horrible...

Call me crazy, but I think changing the traffic patterns in the Market area really messed up the parking. When I was in over Christmas, it took me forever to find a spot one evening, yet hardly anyone was actually out!

well the City of Roanoke paid a agency to do a survey and make up renderings. So it might come true...did you see the trolley car renderings in The Roanoke Times awhile back? They talked about there is a good chance that these will be built, if city council votes and agrees on it.

That epuld mean that City Council would actually have to make a descision. ;) Oh well, our grandkids will get to enjoy the streetcars if they get approved. LOL

Seriously, despite my initial doubts I think the project has legs, but the funding would be a challenge. I would like to see it. The renderings in the paper were very cool.

I think both proposals would work, though I like the idea of an interior food court in the Market Building better. It just needs a renovation. that interior hasn't beeen touched in decades and it shows.

There's already a lot of storefront retail in that area, and the Market Building has several outward facing shops. Why mess up what works?

Archived