Smoke Free Cities in SC

Greenville

Up here in Massachusetts, it's completely banned everywhere, to my knowledge. Big deal, because it only took me a month of buying smokes for $6 a pack to realize that I was f**king stupid. I've long since quit, and I feel better about myself. That said, I agree with the ban to an extent, for places that serve mostly food. Barleys upstairs is a bar area, and smoking should not be banned there. Same can be said about Wild Wings, Sharkeys, Dougals, etc. Don't ban smoking in bars, but in restaurants, I have no problem with the ban.

There's my two cents.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats GVille. :thumbsup: I was at a restaurant today ordering takeout at the bar and someone came in (mind you its 3pm) and lit up a huge cigar. At first I figured it would be okay, but about 10sec later I started catching to second hand. It was really bad, I started caughing as a result. :sick: The bartender came by to check on the patrons and then said she had to step away...she said "I've smelled cigaretes, but that cigar is just horrible." After that she left the area for a while. Eventually I couldn't take it any longer and decided to wait at a table near the kitchen. With one cigar one customer and the sections main employee were turned off. I never thought about how much smoke affects the employees of an establishment. They have to put up with second hand on a regular, constantly putting their health in jeopardy.

Honestly I cant understand why one needs to smoke while they eat or drink or drive for that matter. To be honest I can't understand the point of smoking at all. :huh: I hope the State Gov./Columbia area Gov. gets it together and does its citizens a favor and save a few lives and add years to all of our exsistance!

Congrats GVille. :thumbsup: I was at a restaurant today ordering takeout at the bar and someone came in (mind you its 3pm) and lit up a huge cigar. At first I figured it would be okay, but about 10sec later I started catching to second hand. It was really bad, I started caughing as a result. :sick: The bartender came by to check on the patrons and then said she had to step away...she said "I've smelled cigaretes, but that cigar is just horrible." After that she left the area for a while. Eventually I couldn't take it any longer and decided to wait at a table near the kitchen. With one cigar one customer and the sections main employee were turned off. I never thought about how much smoke affects the employees of an establishment. They have to put up with second hand on a regular, constantly putting their health in jeopardy.

Honestly I cant understand why one needs to smoke while they eat or drink or drive for that matter. To be honest I can't understand the point of smoking at all. :huh: I hope the State Gov./Columbia area Gov. gets it together and does its citizens a favor and save a few lives and add years to all of our exsistance!

Right on. :thumbsup: I applaud Greenville's efforts. Too bad the city limits are so small and many resturants will be left out of this one. I wonder if the county would ever take this issue up.

Right on. :thumbsup: I applaud Greenville's efforts. Too bad the city limits are so small and many resturants will be left out of this one. I wonder if the county would ever take this issue up.

Places like Chiefs, on Congaree, are now going to be the most popular places in town. I would think that any bar owner just ouside the city would fight annexation tooth and nail. And I would not be suprised if we now see commercial developments on the border of the city limits turn down annexation because this law may limit their potential clientel.

IMO, banning a legal activity in a private business=descrimination. I am not a smoker, but I hate see the public's ability to make a choice taken away.

I think that this will not affect business that much. People will still go out to eat, and they will just smoke before they go in or after the are done. Thats what all of the smokers I know do now, so its not a major lifestyle change for them.

I was listening to WORD this morning, and you'd think that the world was ending because of this smoking ban. But Russ Cassell tends to be a bit more extreme on his viewpoints than most people on that station.

I think that this will not affect business that much. People will still go out to eat, and they will just smoke before they go in or after the are done. Thats what all of the smokers I know do now, so its not a major lifestyle change for them.

I was listening to WORD this morning, and you'd think that the world was ending because of this smoking ban. But Russ Cassell tends to be a bit more extreme on his viewpoints than most people on that station.

When going out for dinner, you are correct. However, for a night out on the town, in February, it most certainly will make a difference in where people choose to go.

IMO, banning a legal activity in a private business=descrimination. I am not a smoker, but I hate see the public's ability to make a choice taken away.

But Is it right to infringe on anothers right to breath air not filled with smoke? Is it right for someone to suffer the affects of a drunk driver? Is it right for someone to suffer the affects of someone shooting a gun radomly into a crowd? :huh:

If you worked in direct contact with someone who always had a nausiatingly unpleasant oder, would you ask them to do something about it...is it right for you to suffer?

Is it right for "the big companies" to continue to raise gas prices making everyone suffer for the benefit of a few?

The concept of voting in a democratic society is exactly what the publics ability to make a choice is about! :thumbsup:

Maybe a Tyranny would be better... :whistling:

How many downtown restaurants already don't allow smokers? I think its quite a few. I'd be surprised if this significantly affects anyone besides the bars.

I would think bars would feel the greatest punch on this, though I gather the city has been wanting to strictly regulate bar growth for some time (see the move to stop Jillian's in favor of Mast on Main), or the move to cut off alcohol serving on evenings so not to disturb the growing downtown residential population.

But Is it right to infringe on anothers right to breath air not filled with smoke? Is it right for someone to suffer the affects of a drunk driver? Is it right for someone to suffer the affects of someone shooting a gun radomly into a crowd? :huh:

If you worked in direct contact with someone who always had a nausiatingly unpleasant oder, would you ask them to do something about it...is it right for you to suffer?

Is it right for "the big companies" to continue to raise gas prices making everyone suffer for the benefit of a few?

The concept of voting in a democratic society is exactly what the publics ability to make a choice is about! :thumbsup:

Maybe a Tyranny would be better... :whistling:

Non-smoking workers and patrons had many choices when it came to a smoke-free environment in the downtown bar and restaurant scene. Now, except for a bar with outdoor seating, the city has taken that choice away for everyone. A drunk driver is on a public road, not in a private business, and, like firing a weapon into a crowd, DUI is not a legal activity. Smoking is.

If an employer (or fellow employees) does not like the actions of an employee (bad smell), they have the ability to make a choice in how to deal with the situation. Should personal hygene be regulated by city council? Or would that be government going a step too far? :whistling:

I would love to vote on a referendum on this. As is stands, though, I only had the ability to go to city council meetings and express my opinions. But the decision had already been made by the time those meetings were scheduled, and my opinion did not matter.

IMO, this is less of a public health issue, and more of a control issue, and the City is firmly in control. Small business owners had a large hand in making downtown Greenville a desirable place to be. I hope upon hope that no small business owner, one that took on an incredible risk (not to mention an enormous loan) to follow a dream, is crushed by this. But my guess is that we will see a couple watering holes shut down in the new year. But that's OK, because their bankruptcy doesn't affect you, the majority.

There is one point that all of you should remember my friends... this is a democracy. Do not complain about the judgements that the council made, because you, the majority, picked them to be there. If they have upset you sooo much PLEASE vote against them in the next election. And if you don't live within the city limits of Cola, G-vegas, or Sullivan's Island, don't complain about that city council's decisions... ie should we here in SC complain about the decisions made in New Hampshire or somewhere else in the world and act like we have a a say in them? Move to the city and then start complaining, until then... the majority has won and this IS a democracy rooted in the majority winning

There is one point that all of you should remember my friends... this is a democracy. Do not complain about the judgements that the council made, because you, the majority, picked them to be there. If they have upset you sooo much PLEASE vote against them in the next election. And if you don't live within the city limits of Cola, G-vegas, or Sullivan's Island, don't complain about that city council's decisions... ie should we here in SC complain about the decisions made in New Hampshire or somewhere else in the world and act like we have a a say in them? Move to the city and then start complaining, until then... the majority has won and this IS a democracy rooted in the majority winning

:thumbsup:

With that said, I voted AGAINST the ban because this isn't about whether or not I like smoke... it's about whether or not business owners should be allowed to run their businesses as they see fit. I think a bar owner should have the choice of whether or not they can allow smoking (which last I checked was a legal activity) in their establishments. If people don't like smoking they can vote with their dollars and simply not patronize smoking establishments. If it's bad for employees they can simply work somewhere else. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head telling them that they have to go to smoky bars.

I agree one hundred percent. I think that the free market should decide weather places are smoke free.

A while back I remember hearing with regards to this issue that bars like smoking becuase nocotine blocks the absorbtion of alchol to some degree meaning patrons who smoke tend to drink more.

From a logic standpoint I understand banning smoke from any place that derives most of its revenue from food.

I dont understand why they intend on making bar owners comply with this law. Not only comply with it, but they turn them into the cops which is even a bigger problem.

Actually in SC, there really arn't bars, some places call themselves a bar, but they are really considered a restaurant by the state. To get a alcohol permit you have to be able to serve a hot meal to 44 people at a time a derive the majority of your revenue from food. I am not saying that all places follow those rules, and I know there are some exemptions. But, SC does not have public bars like they have in other states.

Columbia or Sullivan's Island don't seem to be suffering from being smoke free. Last I remember downtown Cola is still pretty vibrant, so I don't think it will hurt Greenville. I think it will help it. I hate dirty, smelly smoke. I think cigarettes should be outlawed. They stink and so do most that smoke them. Sorry if I offended anyone. :shades:

Places like Chiefs, on Congaree, are now going to be the most popular places in town. I would think that any bar owner just ouside the city would fight annexation tooth and nail. And I would not be suprised if we now see commercial developments on the border of the city limits turn down annexation because this law may limit their potential clientel.

Chief's had planned to be annexed, but has put those plans on hold because of this ban. click here

I see y'all have the same issue that we had here in Dekalb County, GA. Our CEO (Commission Chair) vetoed a measure to ban smoking that was passed by the Board of Commissioners a few days ago.

I don't like the idea of banning smoking because I have a choice to patronize the facilities of my choice. It will be interesting to see what G'ville decides.

Here is what's really interesting.... in Greenville County you can't sell alcohol on Sundays... but in the City you can. So when midnight comes and the county bars will close up will people just go home? Or will the come to the city? I'm not sure if Cheifs stays open that late or not, but that could be an odd situation for them to be in.

Scoop-

Greenville (city) has already made the decision to ban smoking.

Columbia is still debating it.

--

I think the facts are that most people support the ban because most people don't smoke. Obviously smokers would be more outspoken against this since they are being targeted.

Yeah, I have to agree I still don't understand the purpose of smoking. :blink: I visited another restaurant today, and sat in the non-smoking area thinking I'd enjoy a late lunch with some friends. The smoking section located directly next to the non smoking section was partitioned off by doors, however one of the employees I imagine, opened the doors and let all of the smoke that had filled the smoking area eminate into the non smoking area. It was horrible. :sick: Several people complained about having their meals disturbed by the event. The party with whom I was dining opted to be moved to a section further away. I can not understand the design concept within this restaurant. The location of the smoking area directly next to a large non smoking area only separated by a pair of french doors is not sufficient in ensuring a pleasant dining experience for all. I have nothing against those who smoke, but I do not feel tha tI should be subject to the fumes produced by those who smoke. -_-

and whats worse is why should I have to be subjected to fumes that could possibly kill me later on

I mean, are construction companies still allowed to use asbestos since it was proven to cause cancer? No. And why not? Because the gov't stepped in and said that it was no longer safe to the public at large even though the private sector was still using it as often as they could...

And has anyone ever seen that Truth commercial where they liken the ingredients in asbestos to those in cigarettes, just makes you think.

and whats worse is why should I have to be subjected to fumes that could possibly kill me later on

I mean, are construction companies still allowed to use asbestos since it was proven to cause cancer? No. And why not? Because the gov't stepped in and said that it was no longer safe to the public at large even though the private sector was still using it as often as they could...

And has anyone ever seen that Truth commercial where they liken the ingredients in asbestos to those in cigarettes, just makes you think.

I don't smoke but I think that the law is bad because we have a choice to make relative to eateries. If we object to the smoke, then we shouldn't patronize the ones that allow it. This is America!

What will be the next thing that the government bans, our choice of personal fragrance? Alcohol kill far more people that smoke fumes but it is still legal.

MHO

Archived