Smoke Free Cities in SC

Greenville

So then... tell me, where are all of these smoke-free restaraunts that those against this ban keep speaking of? Here in Cola, I can think of 1 or 2. So, are those the only places that I should be able to eat since I really don't want to have deal with the horrible stench of someone else's cigarette? Since when does their right to smoke rank over my right to breath clean air and... well... live.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So then... tell me, where are all of these smoke-free restaraunts that those against this ban keep speaking of? Here in Cola, I can think of 1 or 2. So, are those the only places that I should be able to eat since I really don't want to have deal with the horrible stench of someone else's cigarette? Since when does their right to smoke rank over my right to breath clean air and... well... live.

Exactly. Why should the majority of people stop patronizing all restaurants because a minority of people choose to smoke?

Its not hard to smoke before you go in. Thats what my friends do.

Exactly. Why should the majority of people stop patronizing all restaurants because a minority of people choose to smoke?

Its not hard to smoke before you go in. Thats what my friends do.

This is still America gentlemen. If a business wants your business and it is beneficial to them to ban smoking, they will. Non-smoking/anti-smoker folks would then have the opportunity, as they do now to speak with their wallets.

The question for me still is, whats next on the agenda for banning? As I stated before Alcohol kills more people passively than cigarettes. Why not ban it?

Unless the person is drinking and driving (which is illegal), their consumption of alcohol does not harm the people around him. Everyone knows that one person smoking in a bar or restaurant will affect everyone in that establishment. No one is outlawing smoking, just restricting it. So those who smoke can continue to kill themselves if they so choose to, without harming others. There are already many laws pertaining to the use of alcohol. You can't drink and drive, can't have an open container in your vehicle, can't drink in public, can't buy it on sundays, etc...

This is still America gentlemen. If a business wants your business and it is beneficial to them to ban smoking, they will. Non-smoking/anti-smoker folks would then have the opportunity, as they do now to speak with their wallets.

I am usually all for the free market working things out. However, given the health concerns of those in public in the presence of smokers, the government was right to step in now. The government never said that people can't smoke, but rather that they can't smoke in enclosed buildings where smoke is sure to harm others (smokers and non-smokers alike). I don't understand why someone's right to smoke should run roughshod over the rights of others. Breathing in second-hand smoke just once paralyzes the cilia in the respiratory tract for weeks. As I am sure you know, those cilia are responsible for clearing the bronchi of foreign particles and preventing harmful irritants and germs from gaining access to the lungs.

The question for me still is, whats next on the agenda for banning? As I stated before Alcohol kills more people passively than cigarettes. Why not ban it?

I will take the bait and offer one reason why it shouldn't be. Studies have shown that alcohol, in moderation, is beneficial for one's health. That is a far, far cry from tobacco, which has been shown to be harmful (carcinogenic, etc.).

Spartanburg may become the 3rd large city in SC to consider a smoking ban. Nothing is being officially discussed yet. Mayor Barnet said it would be considered, but that they City would wait to see how the ban plays out in other cities in the state.

Greenville is the only one of SC's big 3 to actually pass the smoking ban, right? Columbia is considering it though, yes?

I'm confused a little bit though. What kind of ban are we talking here. A total ban of all smoking in restaurants and bars, or just in places where people under 18 are allowed (which is what they did in Georgia--though Columbia County has a total smoking ban)? Just curious. I think it should be banned and I'm a smoker. I've never felt comfortable smoking in restaurants.

I remember one time I went to Wild Wing's in Hilton Head and we asked the server if we could sit in the smoking section. Her reply was "There isn't one." I was like, Okay, this is cool. I sat down and there was an ashtray there and I asked her again and she said "Oh, what I meant is that we don't have a non-smoking section." At the time we were surrounded by other smokers and I didn't feel bad, but then they sat this family right next to us (complete with a kid). I put mine out but no one else did. Strange.

Love the concept of a total ban...i hate being around smokers and then later i am completely congested and have to caugh up phlem all night :sick: ...sorry for the graphic detail, but thats my suffering so that some people can smoke. :cry: and i have even gotten nautious after being in a smoke filled club in five points...but hey my health isnt important to anyone else...i mean those that smoke. :blush:

Greenville News article today about Greenville not likely to exclude bars from smoking ban like Columbia:

City won't budge on smoking ban

I like the firm stance on the issue. It shows that the City of Greenville isn't chasing revenue, but looking to do what is in the best interest (health wise) for its citizens. :thumbsup:

I definitely agree with you. Good job, Greenville!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived