Smoke Free Cities in SC

Greenville

It's amazing that an "ultra-conservative" city like Greenville would ban smoking in all restaurants and bars before a "liberal" county like Richland even considers it. ;)

Ok, but those are different levels of government. Greenville County hasn't proposed it either, infact I don't think any County has. The City of Columbia was considering the ordinance at the time that the City of Greenville's was passed.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it conservative to let people smoke were they want? It seems more constrictive to block people from smoking in public places even though I'm for it

It is not completely illegal to smoke in "public places," just the vast majority of buildings themselves. Smoking outdoors is still okay. At first, I was not wholeheartedly behind the City in their efforts to achieve a complete ban, but I have since moved a little closer to total agreement with them. It is a potentially serious health issue many people do not want to be forced to deal with. I personally do not have a problem breathing second-hand smoke, but many do, and they should be able to eat and drink at any restaurant or bar they choose without being subjected to the threat. Again, there are a few limitations to this "complete ban" in the City of Greenville. The outdoors is one of them, along with a few special "smoking clubs."

Skyliner, I think you hit a key point there. Its not really a left versus right issue, its just an issue of the masses. Only 18% of Americans smoke, and most people are not going to outwardly oppose this type of law because it doesnt effect them (it really benefits them). I was initially opposed to this concept as well, but I have since come to realize it is ok for the reasons I just stated.

Okay, not sure how much credence to lend this but a friend of mine who owns a bar downtown said that a couple of local downtown bar owners had gotten together and hired an attorney and after a brief meeting with the city that everyone was in agreement that the city could not make this law stand.

Not sure of the details, but the way it was explained to me was that no city ordinance can be stronger than a state law.

Once again, no idea if this is correct just passing along what I heard.

Anyone else heard about this.

Okay, not sure how much credence to lend this but a friend of mine who owns a bar downtown said that a couple of local downtown bar owners had gotten together and hired an attorney and after a brief meeting with the city that everyone was in agreement that the city could not make this law stand.

Not sure of the details, but the way it was explained to me was that no city ordinance can be stronger than a state law.

Once again, no idea if this is correct just passing along what I heard.

Anyone else heard about this.

Interesting. Well, if they want to let their customers smoke, then don't let them sell alcohol on Sunday. If city rules are so bad, then do away with them and bring back blue laws. :whistling:

There was a panel discussion tonight in Charleston about a potential smoking ban. A few of my friends attended, and they said it was really sad because there were 4-5 panelists and no more than 8-10 people in attendance. Is this perhaps an indication of the lack of importance people place on a Charleston smoking ban?

I found an aritcle from the Greenville News print edition that says Beaufort County is considering a smoking ban as well. It has already recieved preliminary approval on a 9-1 vote in favor. That would make them the first County to pass such an ordinance.

Hilton Head is considering a ban too, but town council has said they will vote against it. Perhaps if the County passes it, then that may encourage them to do it too.

So far Sullivan's Island, Greenville, and Columbia are the only cities in SC to pass this ban.

Interesting. Well, if they want to let their customers smoke, then don't let them sell alcohol on Sunday. If city rules are so bad, then do away with them and bring back blue laws. :whistling:

http://www.greenvillenews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...348/1004/NEWS01

Here is the article that references the lawsuit. I expect a request for an injunction will be filed.

There is a difference in the way the state laws are written. The law regarding alcohol sales specifically states that it can be modified by local ordinance. According to the lawsuit, the law regarding tobacco use specifically states that it can't be modified by local ordinance.

There is a difference in the way the state laws are written. The law regarding alcohol sales specifically states that it can be modified by local ordinance. According to the lawsuit, the law regarding tobacco use specifically states that it can't be modified by local ordinance.

I would be very surprised if the city of Greenville (or any city, for that matter) passed a smoking ban law without first doing their homework on the current laws. They have people in place who do the legal research and make sure that all details are covered before such a law is even considered. Thus, the local retailers who are suing the city of Greenville probably don't have much of a case. What they do have, though, is the "poor me, I am going to lose my business and my children will starve" angle.

Greenville just unveilled a marketing campaign for the smoke free status of establishments in the city. I'm not sure how this will be used, but it sound like a good idea

3 sayings go like this all focusing on breathing easier:

Breathe Easy, you're in the city

thanks Greenville, I can Breathe Easy

Breathe Easy, it's good for business

• 3 weeks later...

First friday night in Greenville with the smoking ban in place and it was pretty dead late night. The rain probably played a factor as well but it was definitely not a usual friday night from what I'm used to.

One thing I noticed is that many more people hung around outside the bars (and not inside buying drinks like they would normally do). The people that smoke go outside to smoke and their friends go outside too to hang out with their group. Just seems like this aspect will hurt the amount of money that these business normally take in.

That is all.

First friday night in Greenville with the smoking ban in place and it was pretty dead late night. The rain probably played a factor as well but it was definitely not a usual friday night from what I'm used to.

One thing I noticed is that many more people hung around outside the bars (and not inside buying drinks like they would normally do). The people that smoke go outside to smoke and their friends go outside too to hang out with their group. Just seems like this aspect will hurt the amount of money that these business normally take in.

That is all.

I'd like to see how a perfect weather friday night would be. Tonight was really nice, I wonder what the situation was...? Anyone know?

I can't imagine this really taking away from business THAT much. It's a change, but one that we'll get used to before long. Downtown's atmosphere and options are going to keep people coming, I think. And as for the rest of the city, if it's convienient or you like the establishment in the first place, then you'll be there. Crowds should increase on Sundays with the new alcohol sales, anyway. It should even out somewhat. I'd like to see a report on this in about 6 months.

There is a restaurant/bar in Spartanburg called Gerhards Cafe that has no smoking indoors, but you can smoke in the outdoor portion. Its one of the more popular bars in town for the nightscene. I really enjoy the non-smoking part myself.

Having a choice is nice. Both as a customer and a business owner.

Most of the discussion in here has been about restaurants. A smoke free restaurant is much more pleasant place to eat, there is no doubt about that. However, how many people choose to eat their dinner at Connoly's, or Sharky's, or City Tavern? These establishments are bars that serve food, not restaurants that serve alcohol. These business owners will catch the brunt of this law.

BTW, how does the growing population of downtown Greenville feel about the increased number of revelers on the street, rather than indoors? Weren't they the driving force behind the city changing closing times from 5 am to 2 am in order to reduce the number of people on the street at night?

I would expect that they shoudl be fine with it, given that they chose to live downtown, and urban settings tend to have more noise than the suburbs.

On a separate note, Charleston passed a smoking ban that takes effect in July (first reading). It would ban all smoking in businesses with at least one employee, and reduce the number of smoking rooms in hotels to 25%

article.

I'd like to see how a perfect weather friday night would be. Tonight was really nice, I wonder what the situation was...? Anyone know?

I can't imagine this really taking away from business THAT much. It's a change, but one that we'll get used to before long. Downtown's atmosphere and options are going to keep people coming, I think. And as for the rest of the city, if it's convienient or you like the establishment in the first place, then you'll be there. Crowds should increase on Sundays with the new alcohol sales, anyway. It should even out somewhat. I'd like to see a report on this in about 6 months.

Washington State initiated a smoking ban over a year ago. There had already been some smaller cities that had bans. After a year of the statewide ban, reports were that it causes less harm to business revenue than the city bans, because it removes the ability for people to go to restaurants or bars in the county to avoid it.

Stats have shown that these bans cause some initial grief to business owners as smokers react emotionally, but that business picks up again after a while.

There's my one-and-a-half-cents!

Archived