My how the times have changed!

Greenville

Out of touch? With what, the past? Certainly not the present. Are you old enough to remember the 1950's, if not, then you really don't know what you are talking about, do you? Actually, Greeenville is sort of playing catchup, but in a thoughtful and well-planned way.

So the only people with a valid opinion are those who were around in the 1950's?!? Yeah, that makes sense. :wacko:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you, Skyliner. I think more modern office space was needed, and it was cheaper to tear down the building and start over rather than remodel it. Too bad as older office buildings in places such as NYC are often renovated and are brought up to Class A standards.

I agree with you, Skyliner. I think more modern office space was needed, and it was cheaper to tear down the building and start over rather than remodel it. Too bad as older office buildings in places such as NYC are often renovated and are brought up to Class A standards.

That is what I would have preferred for the old Woodside Building in Greenville. Look at the old Chamber of Commerce building (Liberty Building), the old County Courthouse (offices and destination health spa), and the Westin Poinsett Hotel. These have become real gems since their reincarnation. It is very fortunate we have these to remind us of the early days in Greenville, and use as catalysts for further revitalization.

Greenville has had a bad reputation for ripping down 19th and 20th century structures. I think attitudes have changes somewhat.

How nice it would have been to have kept the original Robert Mill's designed court house that stood near where the Vardry McBee statue is now.

And I really wish the old main, bell tower building on the old Furman campus could have been saved in the early 60's.

I imagine a lot of old time Furman alum's see county square a bit sadly.

Greenville has had a bad reputation for ripping down 19th and 20th century structures. I think attitudes have changes somewhat.

I think in the 70's when most of these structures were ripped down, Greenville was not alone. All Southern cities were doing the same. Is was a sad era. I lived in Birmingham and they demolished one of the largest and grandest railroad terminals in the South for an expressway. :sick:

In all, for Greenville's size, once the city woke up out of the 70's mindset, I'd say a lot has been saved. The Westin, Chamber of Commerce, County Courthouse, Wyche Pavillion, West End Market, Wachovia Securities Building, multiple retail stores along Main, and of course all the multiple mills that are finding rebirth as lofts.

Back when I was teaching, I had my students do research on historic parts of Greenville. One of their favorite activities was a now-and-then photographic comparison. One of the parents worked for the now-defunct Graham Photo, and he came across a large group of old photos he passed along to me. I'll post one every now and then.

I don't know his original source, and I'm not sure what copyright issues might be involved. If any of these are a problem, just send my a private message and I'll remove it.

This first is a view of Main Street, looking toward the Reedy River:

161618377_8525b85acf_o.jpg

I think the building between City Hall and the Court House was the old Mansion House Hotel, forerunner to the Poinsett. Across the street from the Court House you can still see the Old Record Building, designed by Robert Mills. I believe it was demolished in 1928, so that would give you a time frame for the photo.

I agree. That was the only building tall enough at the time for that type of shot.

I remember that old building. It was the SCN building then.

...and, no, I wasn't around in the 1920's!

OK, here's an easy one. Guess this location:

161618342_4edd8d8f8c_o.jpg

I agree. That was the only building tall enough at the time for that type of shot.

I remember that old building. It was the SCN building then.

...and, no, I wasn't around in the 1920's!

OK, here's an easy one. Guess this location:

161618342_4edd8d8f8c_o.jpg

I was hoping that Jason Greer, another local Flickr photographer, was on UP and would post this image. I guess he's not, so I'll take the liberty of posting his shot...

103971152_5751389de8_d.jpg

This shot was taken January 18, 2005. It is amazing how little the building has changed, including the rails above Coffee Underground.

Archived