My how the times have changed!

Greenville

This shot was probably taken from the old Ivy's building, next to the Hyatt.

161618358_3f2b74d140_o.jpg

I remember the old Fox Theater. I didn't ever see anything there, but I seem to remember the marquis being there until the late 70's. Whether or not it was open then, I don't know.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I like showing the differences between the two versions of the Cauble building, where Resturante Bergamo is now, are the trees lining Main St.

Little realised I guess is that there are more trees in South Carolina in 2006 than there were in the 1910's.

Clear cutting for shopping centers or housing was absolutely nothing compared to the clear cutting that existed for farms, urban centers, etc.

That's one area in which life has improved. I've noticed on the Main St. shots how desolate the place looks without the trees which we have come to know as the canopy of the present street.

This shot was probably taken from the old Ivy's building, next to the Hyatt.

161618358_3f2b74d140_o.jpg

I remember the old Fox Theater. I didn't ever see anything there, but I seem to remember the marquis being there until the late 70's. Whether or not it was open then, I don't know.

Really love this nightime shot Beowulf! :wub:

Does anybody know how many theaters were downtown? Which one was the most "grand"?

I don't know about "grand", but here are two others that were downtown...

161618488_495fe2c8b5_o.jpg

161618425_c0d525cbaf_o.jpg

At the Rivoli, note that Tarzan is spelled out with actual light bulbs. This wasn't just a one weekend engagement, but that movie was going to be around for awhile.

Thanks for the Rivoli pic. Wonder how many months Tarzan ran? :D

I was aksing about the "grand" one and the Rivoli looks like it would have been. I grew up in B'ham, and we had the Alabama Theater.....simply gorgeous....showed movies and had a stage. My mom would take my sister and I to the matinee as kids, get us popcorn and get us seated, then walk next door to shop at Lovemans....one of the old downtown dept. stores. So much fun. Later in high school, I got involved and helped save the Alabama. I have a fondness for old, downtown theaters. Here's a link to the Alabama. The website isn't great, but take the visual tour on the website.....the theater itself is a masterpiece! :thumbsup:

http://www.alabamatheatre.com/about.aspx?rn=1&rb=1&lr=1

Here's another early view. I think this is looking south, but I'm not sure.

Once again, the lack of tree canopy makes the streets look very stark.

161618362_a706b7e2cc_o.jpg

I hope those are two different signs on the building on the right. If not, someone was promoting furniture for the kidneys!

Looking at these photos makes me even more proud of today's downtown Greenville. The vibrancy is here. The indescribable charm is here. The residents are here and more coming. More entertainment is coming. Downtown is great and getting better every year. :shades:

Archived