1001 Woodward garage capabilities

wolverine

My friends and I went to the top of the 1001 Woodward garage on Thursday to snap pictures from the top. Since the garage was built using poured in place concrete, it obviously surpasses some structural capabilities of what a modular precast concrete structure would have. The caps of the columns on the top of the structure are absolutely huge.

Is the garage capable of supporting 6-10 story steel structure on top of it? It would really be awesome to see the canyon along Woodward rise just a bit higher, at least above Compuware.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any pictures off the columns? I'm having a hard time seeing exactly what you're talking about. Everything we were told up until construction was that it was going to be able to support 10-12 additional floors of office/residential space, but then everyone got quite. I tried emailing the architect, but have never gotten an answer back from them, and no one really seems to know anything about this thing besides the fact that it was built. lol

Sorry LMich, I didn't get any photos of the columns, but I should have to see if anyone might know judging by their size. From an awful picture my friend took of himself in the stairwell, I can see part of one of the columns in the background, it's about 36 by 20 inches I think

If you guys would like I will see if i can get a picture of the columns tonite while im downtown wandering after the Spartys Wolverines hockey game. It looks like you got some interesting pictures from up there Wolverine so I figured Id check it out.

Maybe we can put Detroit's most posh and upscale restaurant there? Errr, wait...;)

The only reliable source I talked to mentioned that there were no plans to add to the top of the garage. I specifically asked because I think it was once mentioned in the newspapers or something. He acted as if he knew nothing about it, but then again the way in which he answered might have sounded like he didn't want to say too much. hmmm...

The more I think about it, the more I think that the talk of retrofitting the garage was in anticipation that the 1001 condos would all be bought out very fast. I think they may have over-reached. If I remember right, the first proposal called for adding residential space to the top of the garage, then a little later they scaled back and said premium office space, and now the talks have seemed to all but dry up.

Who knows, but the good thing is that when demand gets high enough, this structure can go higher. I applaud 1001 Woodward for giving it the capabilities to be something more than just a parking garage in the future.

Speaking of which, has anyone been inside the tower lobby on a weekday to check out the office showing the condo spaces? I meant to go in there to snap photos but completely forgot. Last time I was there it was a weekend and they were closed.

Well, after taking a class that dealt specifically with concrete and steel capabilities, this ramp should be able to support 5-10 level steel structure.

I'm going to assume that yes.. .this ramp can go higher, but not for parking because.....

I looked up structural capabilties for poured concrete structures with concrete caisson foundations for buildings over 10 levels that endure live loads...aka parking structure.

Because early articles had implied that this ramp was going to eventually support habitable space. As mentioned, that never happened.

I could be wrong, after all, I'm not an engineer. But I don't see why it couldn't go higher.

But, again, if they did that the deck probably wouldn't be strong enough to support more future floors. There is a difference between poured-in-place and prefab, I believe, in terms of strength which would point even more towards this structure being able to hold a small building on top of it.

But, again, if they did that the deck probably wouldn't be strong enough to support more future floors. There is a difference between poured-in-place and prefab, I believe, in terms of strength which would point even more towards this structure being able to hold a small building on top of it.

I was actually commenting on how well they built the structure rather than taking the shortcut with the pre-made beams. This structure can most certainly take on more floors. I hope it becomes a reality. Of course, they'll have to find more parking for the extra tennants........

The 1001 garage is way overbuilt. They know people from some of these other loft projects - like 1201 Woodward, the RH Traver Building, & the Fowler Building - will be using the garage. It's got like 500 or 550 spaces - more than 1001 Woodward will ever need, especially now that a big chunk of it is being converted into condos.

That's what I was thinking. I'm thinking that even if they do build another 5 or so floors above the garage that they'll still have room in the deck for any future tenants.

Kind of subject, but does anyone else think that any future development on the Woodward Block across the corner may include more parking along the back of the site? I've never been in the Hudson's Garage (or whatever they call) it, but I've heard that it's only a floor deep meaning not a lot of parking space, even for a site like that.

Archived