Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

Was just walking back from Monsoon and saw a coming soon sign at the International Bijou for 'Sabor a Mexico". Underneath it said mexican food, but I don't know if it is a restaurant or a market. Either way, it is good to see a tenant coming to that property. Hopefully more will follow.

Edited by hub-city

I took this picture the other day. I think its pretty self explanatory, but its still exciting to me:

DSC00488.jpg

Its in the Bijou Market, which I did not realize was an arcade-style structure. It goes waaay back, and the spot to to right of Sabor is for lease.

• 1 month later...

Best Italian was Stefano's, hands down

Are you kidding me... I'm italian and i thought that Stephanos was pretty average and overpriced... The two italian restaurants that I think are KILLER are:

Renatos... A bit high end... but worth the money

Dantes... The dude in there is typically drunk... The place looks like a dump from the outside... BUT... I've NEVER had a bad meal there...

Now... for my forte... I grew up in Sunny Cali... I KNOW good Mexican food. Hands DOWN... there is NOTHING in Spartanburg in the league of Mexico Lindo! Some of my favorites there:

Carne Asada Tacos

Grouper Diabla (ohhhhh)

Mahi Mahi Tacos

Anything Mariscos

Blue Corn Nachos are AWESOME!

Blue Corn Enchiladas... I had them for the first time this past week...

Moster Burrito or Fajita Burrito

However, I think my absolute favorite might me this new thing they are doing with pineapple. It is Steak, Chicken, Mexican Sausage, and I think Shrimp on top of pineapple with all the rest of the mexican tastes... If you have not tried this... better get there quick... This is just on the menu until pineapple season goes away... SOON.

Man... I've gotta go... I'm so HUNGRY!!! :D

Ahhh... almost forgot...

I'm not sure of the location... But... Olive Garden IS Definitley coming... I got an email looking for construction bids!!!

Holmes Lunch aka Holmes Hotdogs is just up from Westgate Mall in Arcadia. It's been around for years and years and years. The original owner's daughter and son-in-law now operate it, I believe.

I had lunch there about three years ago and, to be candid with you, wasn't all that impressed. Ike's Corner Grill is much better for this sort of fare. That said, throngs of working men and women eat lunch at Holmes every day That alone tells you something!

Souper Salad is also a favorite of mine

Hickory Tavern isnt to bad either

Anyone tried the Carolina Cafe? Its right behind downtown Chesnee where the old Petes use to be.. Not a bad place to eat. I believe the gentleman that owns it, ran JJR's in Spartanburg.. Very good prices on steaks.

Edited by TheSpur06

The story isn't online yet, but the HJ is reporting that Olive Garden sealed the rumored deal to build on the Friendship Baptist church site on Ezell blvd. right beside Golden Corral. it will have 7,400 sq. ft and seat 247. It will be in their new "Tuscan Farm House" design. Construction is set to begin in August with a late winter '07 opening.

The story isn't online yet, but the HJ is reporting that Olive Garden sealed the rumored deal to build on the Friendship Baptist church site on Ezell blvd. right beside Golden Corral. it will have 7,400 sq. ft and seat 247. It will be in their new "Tuscan Farm House" design. Construction is set to begin in August with a late winter '07 opening.

Here you go: http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../607060401/1026

While the new Olive Garden is exciting, lets not forget about Pranza, our newest italian restaurant. The Journal had an article about them last week. The owner also owns the Hub City Grille. In it the owner mentions plans for a westside locaiton, and a new upscale location downtown. He also mentioned what the new cultural center will bring to the area.... my guess is that he will create the new upscale restaurant near the CAC.

Too bad that Pranza is really not that good, now Renato's now that is good local Italian! I love to support local, be geez gotta have good food and service.

While the new Olive Garden is exciting, lets not forget about Pranza, our newest italian restaurant. The Journal had an article about them last week. The owner also owns the Hub City Grille. In it the owner mentions plans for a westside locaiton, and a new upscale location downtown. He also mentioned what the new cultural center will bring to the area.... my guess is that he will create the new upscale restaurant near the CAC.

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I've not had a chance to go myself. You're the first person I've had tell me that it wasn't that good.

Let me be the second, I'm afraid. We've gone there twice with people from out of town and were disappointed by the service and quality of food. Who knows, maybe it's gotten better, but it was very underwhelming.

Let me be the second, I'm afraid. We've gone there twice with people from out of town and were disappointed by the service and quality of food. Who knows, maybe it's gotten better, but it was very underwhelming.

Welcome to the forum Renazai!

It sucks that people are not liking this place. Its weird becuase Hub City Grill is pretty tastey. I guess italian is not this guy's fort