Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

3 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Huge news that's blowing up social media right now: Starbucks is coming to the old Pink on Main spot (115 West Main).

Not sure how I feel about this.  Kind of a sign downtown has "arrived", but I worry about the impact to local businesses going forward.

I'm just sorry it's not a Dunkin Donuts.

6 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Just curious, what "impact" on local businesses worries you?   I'm not trying to be sarcastic just wanting to better understand your point.  THANK YOU!

I think this means that downtown HAS arrived!

Well, I'm not as crazed as some people online proclaiming this as the death of downtown as we know it, but I think we need to be cautious of "chain creep" in the long run.  Just ask most people about downtown Greenville and how the increase in national chains has started to push out local shops and restaurants.  I don't think we're nearly at that point.  And I think Starbucks will generally be positive, as it should bring some new people downtown, which should help other shops/restaurants.  And it fills a gap where other coffee shops aren't open (like Sundays).  But we need to keep supporting local businesses whenever possible and make sure we have a healthy mix of offerings downtown.

• Like 1

While I'm a fan of the coffee bar, I don't think having Starbucks come here is a bad thing for downtown.  It shows that chains are looking at the city, and at downtown, and realizing there's money to be made here.  I suspect this is related more to the new AC Hotel coming just down the street more than to any desire to take over downtown.  

I don't think a few regional or national chains downtown is a bad thing.  The variety is important.  But ultimately this is something that will be up to property owners and shoppers - there's not really anything from a regulatory point of view that the city can do to stop chains from coming in.  

• 2 weeks later...

FR8 Yard opened tonight, and it was PACKED!  I only drove by, but it was shoulder-to-shoulder full of people.  A few of my friends went and gave it rave reviews.  Definitely gotta try it.

The warm weather definitely brought people out.  Downtown as a whole was rocking.  Ice skating rink slam-packed, RJ Rockers much livelier than a usual Tuesday, bar at AC Hotel packed, people sitting outside at Wild Ace, and so on.  Great to see so much energy downtown!

Edited by westsider28

I'd heard rumors that Wild Ace Pizza won't be renewing their lease next year, and this Loopnet listing seems to confirm that.  It says that their current lease ends March 1.  That's kind of a bummer, but I'm sure the space will be leased quickly, as it's one of the best spots on Morgan Square (large building, highly visible, lots of outdoor seating, etc).  It will be interesting to see what ends up going in there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2018 at 11:09 PM, Historyguy said:

I've heard that about The Peddler moving to the old Abby's location as well.  Seemed like a pretty reliable story when I heard it a few weeks ago.  

Can anyone confirm this?

I think this is a great idea (if true) for the Peddler to attempt to stay relevant. The location now is tired. Heck it was tired when I worked there in the 80's and no updates have been made. A good steakhouse could make it at Abby's as that,s a primo location

The current location is not going to see any of the new traffic running around Main St or surrounding blocks.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 1:35 PM, Sparkleman said:

Nothing has ever succeeded here for long. Almost want a successful chain restaurant to give it a crack.

I think a full 5-year lease term is pretty successful.  I bet (especially with the Starbucks coming next door) that their rent was going to skyrocket, so that's why they didn't renew.

3 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

TGI Fridays!

Not gonna happen.  They don't do downtown locations.  If a chain, I wouldn't mind Carolina Ale House.  Wasn't there a rumor about them coming here a few years ago?  It would fit the space, and would be popular (if not necessarily unique or interesting).

5 hours ago, westsider28 said:

I think a full 5-year lease term is pretty successful.  I bet (especially with the Starbucks coming next door) that their rent was going to skyrocket, so that's why they didn't renew.

Not gonna happen.  They don't do downtown locations.  If a chain, I wouldn't mind Carolina Ale House.  Wasn't there a rumor about them coming here a few years ago?  It would fit the space, and would be popular (if not necessarily unique or interesting).

There are downtown T.G.I. friday’s but mostly in BIG cities (Midtown Manhattan, Chicago, Indy, etc) but none in small cities. Nevertheless, this location is prime and needs a well capitalized chain.  Ruth’s Chris?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

There are downtown T.G.I. friday’s but mostly in BIG cities (Midtown Manhattan, Chicago, Indy, etc) but none in small cities. Nevertheless, this location is prime and needs a well capitalized chain.  Ruth’s Chris?  

Ruth's Chris would be fantastic. Or maybe a Morton's!