Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

I heard a couple of things last night at dinner with friends.

1) Someone said that Wild Wing will be moving down to the old Flying Aces Pizza building. Apparently they are not happy with the condition of the one they currently occupy. Seems strange to me as this would be a considerable downsizing and limit their capacity for live music. However with all the other competition downtown they may have decided to get out of the live music  biz and focus on food

2) Rick Irwin fired all the current chefs in the Standard kitchen and is bringing in ones from all the other locations to help save the Standard. This confirms the thought that I always believed we were getting a "budget" Rick Irwin style restaurant. Whether it can be saved at this point remains to be seen. I drove past last night at 10:00 and the parking lot was almost empty. Not a good sign if no one is there to even drink on a Saturday night as the bar is the best part of that place.

18 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

I heard a couple of things last night at dinner with friends.

1) Someone said that Wild Wing will be moving down to the old Flying Aces Pizza building. Apparently they are not happy with the condition of the one they currently occupy. Seems strange to me as this would be a considerable downsizing and limit their capacity for live music. However with all the other competition downtown they may have decided to get out of the live music  biz and focus on food

2) Rick Irwin fired all the current chefs in the Standard kitchen and is bringing in ones from all the other locations to help save the Standard. This confirms the thought that I always believed we were getting a "budget" Rick Irwin style restaurant. Whether it can be saved at this point remains to be seen. I drove past last night at 10:00 and the parking lot was almost empty. Not a good sign if no one is there to even drink on a Saturday night as the bar is the best part of that place.

I dined at The Stsndand Saturday night.  Arrived at 6, left at 8.  The restaurant was not packed but busy.  Patrons all seemed pleased.   Wait staff seemed chipper.  Food was prepared as I ordered.   

Carolina Ale House is pretty similar to Wild Wing but they just have more beer. The last time I was in there in Greenville it actually reminded me of being in a Wild Wing.

Wild Wing may have run its course in Spartanburg. I think its been here since 2000 and has really gone down hill in the last 3-4 years. It has not been an option of mine in like 5 years even for a mid day soccer game as the service is atrocious.

I think that unless a restaurant is going to pay more than minimum wage for service, you are going to get bad service resulting in fewer customers. Spartanburg just isn't big enough to have a surplus of good restaurant employees.

Was in Downtown yesterday and saw that Abbott's has closed. Anyone know if they're moving elsewhere in town or did they just pull the plug?

On another note, also saw that the "Available" sign has come down off of the former Flying Aces building... so maybe WW is moving there? Hmmm.... and I saw an "Available" sign go up on the Shell that is next door to the Lime Leaf. 

Edited by Spartanburg Dude
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: This story has been taken down from the HJ website.  Not sure if they posted it too early or had bad info or what.  Strange.  I wish I had screenshot the article.

Well, a "Wild Wing" is coming to the old Wild Ace Pizza spot (C&S Bank building), but not that Wild Wing [Cafe]. 

Rather, Buffalo Wild Wings will apparently be opening there in May 2019. 

That's a pretty big national chain.  And interestingly, they have very few locations in downtowns. In the Carolinas, it looks like only Charlotte has one downtown.  As the HJ article states, it's unclear whether they are moving from the west side or if this will be an additional location.  Seems unlikely we'd have two (Greenville only has one), so I'm betting they're moving.  The current west side location has terrible visibility (behind Olive Garden and Golden Corral) and accessibility (due to traffic).

Edited by westsider28
  • Confused 1

I'd been hearing for a while from downtown sources that Wild Wings was going to move down the square to the old Wild Ace-C&S Bank building, so that story surprised me.  I was never sure if it was speculation, informed speculation, or sure-fire gonna happen.  So that HJ story surprised me a bit.  I saw it go up on a Facebook group but didn't get a chance to read it before it disappeared.  Does make you wonder if they made a huge blunder and just deleted it rather than amend it.  

• Confused 1

Though I'm not a fan of large chains, I think a Buffalo Wild Wings, or something similar is needed in Downtown to just draw in a broader audience. 
The more people in downtown the more meaningful business we'll see opening and filling the empty buildings/store fronts.

As for Wild Wing... even though it would create another empty building... time for them to just fade away.

Wild Wing Cafe's building owner did just spend a lot of money to finally legitimately fix the exterior wall facing Church Street that they had just been patching for years, which could suggest they want the building to look good to attract a new tenant (if Wild Wing Cafe does move).  Wild Wing Cafe is kind of trashy and I personally wouldn't miss them, but they are very popular with people who maybe otherwise wouldn't come downtown.  And they seem to support live music / local bands quite a bit, which is nice. 

So who knows what's going on.  Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out.

15 hours ago, Historyguy said:

Too bad, would have liked something, anything other than Wild Wing in that space. Oh well. Such is life. 

On 12/3/2018 at 7:26 PM, westsider28 said:

EDIT: This story has been taken down from the HJ website.  Not sure if they posted it too early or had bad info or what.  Strange.  I wish I had screenshot the article.

Well, a "Wild Wing" is coming to the old Wild Ace Pizza spot (C&S Bank building), but not that Wild Wing [Cafe]. 

Rather, Buffalo Wild Wings will apparently be opening there in May 2019. 

That's a pretty big national chain.  And interestingly, they have very few locations in downtowns. In the Carolinas, it looks like only Charlotte has one downtown.  As the HJ article states, it's unclear whether they are moving from the west side or if this will be an additional location.  Seems unlikely we'd have two (Greenville only has one), so I'm betting they're moving.  The current west side location has terrible visibility (behind Olive Garden and Golden Corral) and accessibility (due to traffic).

I'm willing to bet that someone at the HJ confused Buffalo Wild Wings with Wild Wing Cafe. That happens quite a bit in markets with both chains.

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving through downtown late yesterday and noticed some work trucks outside the old Palmetto Grill above Coan's Closeouts. They have put a new name on the top of the building. Grand Central Sports Bar & Restaurant is apparently going to make a go of it down there. It'll be interesting to see if that concept can play down there.

Edited by Sparkleman
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sparkleman said:

I was driving through downtown late yesterday and noticed some work trucks outside the old Palmetto Grill above Coan's Closeouts. They have put a new name on the top of the building. Grand Central Sports Bat & Restaurant is apparently going to make a go of it down there. It'll be interesting to see if that concept can play down there.

I mistakenly thought the Palmetto Grill had decent chance of making it down there.  I hope Grand Central is successful but they'll need to dress the place up, both inside and out to attract patrons. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I still haven't been to Lemongrass... but Banh Mi Baby is decent.

Lemongrass has a larger menu and is delicious. Must try his Pho, Shaking Beef and his egg rolls are insane. 

18 hours ago, hub-city said:

Watching the "Walk Ons" Independance bowl and remembered that Drew Brees wants to bring that restaurant to Spartanburg.  The Wild Wings building could have that New Orleans look.  Thoughts?

Bring it on!