Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

• 2 months later...

Well that happens anywhere. I am concerned about filling that space though. Its a big place and it would suck if someone came in and only used the first floor since IMHO the second floor is the best part of the building. In these financial times, it might sit there for a while much like Abbys has.

According to today's paper, corporate Wild Wing already has another buyer lined up that is local and will crank operations up in the next few months.

On a more positive note I was in Verns last night and it is pretty amazing. It is in the new LaBaron's Plaza with Heavenly Ham, Cheese & Wine, and Yannis. It is a small lounge that is in what I think was the old bar when it was LaBarons. It has about 5-7 tables in the bar and a few right outside it. The seating, lights, and atmosphere are very well done and Sinatra was playing in the background. Its pretty upscale although there were 2 older gents in there with ball hats on, but they probably did not know any better. The service was quite good, the beer ice cold, and the food (small plates) was very good. In fact this may be my new favorite bar in town. On top of that, I could walk to it if I had to as its only a mile from my house.

I heard that the Four Seasons was good too. Not quite in that much detail mind you, but still I'm glad to hear good things about it.

I've been there three times, so far, and the food has been consistently good. Haven't tried the chicken, though, to see if it's good; I'm a steak person when I go out - I get enough chicken at home.

PKs blows Wades out of the water!!! IMO It is very small and run by a little ol grandma and it is great true southern home cookin' The homemade deserts are to die for. I was a little scared the first time I pulled up, because the building is rather small and not very fancy, but I'm so glad I went. Try it out and let us know what you think.

PK's is the effing bomb! I had a late lunch over there today (its on Union down from Duncan Park and by the fire station) and it was incredible. Cube steak (2 pieces w/ gravy), collards, creamed potatoes, cornbread, and awesome sweet tea. There were big portions and the food was piping hot. It was also fairly crowded which was good to see and they were very nice. I was the honk in the joint, but don't let that sway anybody. This place friggin rocks and I am gonna be a regular down there every week. Heck, I think its even better than the old Woodwards foodwise and its has more tables (2 tables/6 booths), and better parking. This is an "SC" secret now, but not for much longer.

Tried out Steak & Spirits yesterday. This, if you remember, is the former Steak & Ale whose debt-ridden corporate owners closed the entire chain (along with Bennigans) earlier this year.

In fact, the only thing that has changed is the name of the joint. The menu, service, decor, and prices, are the same.

For years Steak & Ale has prospered in spite of being in a hard to get to location. Their general manager (now owner) has done an excellent job maintaining great service, good food, and reasonable prices. I was very pleased with my meal!

Well pretty soon Steak and Spirits may be the only steakhouse left in the "SC". A buddy of mine that is a meat salesman told me his company had to drop Justines after 3 years as they could not keep up with the bills. According to this guy the business is good (in fact Spartanburg does more business than any of the other 3 Justines), he knows what he is doing as he is an old Outback VP, but he just can't pay the bills because he has such a crappy real estate deal. To put Justines there, he had to buy the building which is common downtown because none of the people who have holdings downtown like to lease the buildings. So right now Justines would appear to be on life support unless this guy can get a line of credit (unlikely) or get his note refinanced (possible).

I know we have the 4 seasons on the east side and for me, Jael, and a few others and that is great. But if we were to lose Justins (sorry about the earlier spelling), I think it would be a travesty. If you are a guest at the Marriot and have no Justin's, no Rock Water Tavern, no Abbys, etc., I mean is Miyako's gonna be the saving grace for the downtown restaurant scene (or lack there of)? I like Miyako's a lot, but to me it is not the anchor restaurant that downtown needs, it just isn't.

Wild Wings will have to find another owner. The locals who were going to take over discovered too much debt, back taxes and legal problems to go through with the deal and backed out. Lime Leaf is struggling as well as Justins in this recession. I hope everyone will take the opportunity to support these remaining restaurants when possible.

Wild Wings will have to find another owner. The locals who were going to take over discovered too much debt, back taxes and legal problems to go through with the deal and backed out. Lime Leaf is struggling as well as Justins in this recession. I hope everyone will take the opportunity to support these remaining restaurants when possible.

I haven't been to Justin's... I can cook a fine steak myself and don't like taking $30 risks.... I agree it is needed. However, I have been to Brassire Eccosee (spelling I know is incorrect) for apps and drinks and was bitterly disappointed. I ordered a salad and a Brie Foundue thing. THe lettuce was brown tinged at $7 . My mate ordered a rum and coke... they were out of rum. Hmmmmm The brie foundue was soooooooo salty. Regardless, the bill with tip was $47. Ridiculous for a place that is suppoused to be top notch. If they can't get a salad right, I won't ever try an entree.

On an econonomical note, the Nuway's lunch special runs M-Fri. Different sandwich everyday,fries, and drink for $6.56. It isn't very smokey during lunch. THe burgers are the BOMB and the special on Tues and Thurs....

• 2 weeks later...