Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

The Longhorn Steakhouse Building will be demolished and Bojangles will be building

Oh no, the Eastside may come to resemble the Westside's Fast food infestation before long. Just don't let them tear down spartan high and build a Wal-mart. LOL

I drove by the taco bell that is being built and it does look pretty good for a Chain. Nice colors and design and it is small.

PK's is the effing bomb! I had a late lunch over there today (its on Union down from Duncan Park and by the fire station) and it was incredible. Cube steak (2 pieces w/ gravy), collards, creamed potatoes, cornbread, and awesome sweet tea. There were big portions and the food was piping hot. It was also fairly crowded which was good to see and they were very nice. I was the honk in the joint, but don't let that sway anybody. This place friggin rocks and I am gonna be a regular down there every week. Heck, I think its even better than the old Woodwards foodwise and its has more tables (2 tables/6 booths), and better parking. This is an "SC" secret now, but not for much longer.

How about another plug for PK's? I was there at lunch today and the place was packed. Fried white fish, creamed potatoes with gravy, blackeyed peas, and cornbread. I am pretty sure they taught the Beacon how to make tea but the Beacon did not listen. Anyway the next time you go for meat and 2, skip Wades and hit this place instead. Note its also open until 7 and on weekends.

I picked up a cup of Joe at the Starbucks on the east side this morning and was told that they are indeed closing that store in early March. She said that they had originally dodged the axe but when Starbucks announced they were closing an another 350 stores (in addition to the first 900) that was the final straw. I have no idea what will work in this particular building but I am pretty sure it will become another fast food joint before it is over with.

• 3 weeks later...

With Wild Wing closed (and chances for it reopening not good in this economy), I am struggling to think of where I can go next weekend to watch the ACC/SEC conference tournaments and drain a brew or 2. Delaneys, Mellow Mushroom, and the Nu Way's TV situations stink. Never has the "place to watch a game" situation been so dire. Hickory Tavern is a pretty good place but they do not open until 4 and that won't work because SC plays at 3:15. Does anyone have any ideas on this most pressing subject?

I am not sure where you could go in Spartanburg, but a couple places you might enjoy are Quaker Steak & Lube (usually VERY crowded) and Indigo Joe's (nice national sports pub chain), both near Woodruff Road / I-85. These are just suggestions if you can't find something closer to home. There are lots of additional options in Greenville if you need more. If you are a Gamecock fan, you should go to Rondezvous Cafe on Pelham Road, near I-85. It has been a local "headquarters" for SC fans for over 4 years now. :thumbsup:

Edited by Skyliner

Well, I will watch at home before I contribute to the Greenville economy and have to watch the game in Tiger territory (kudos to Wake Forest yesterday). I watched at Chiefs last year and the service as well as the smokey atmosphere sucked.

A buddy of mine actually reminded me of the Cellar Club this weekend and noted that they open at 3. Usually its smokey in here as well, but I have to figure it will not be very crowded at 3:30 on a Friday so I'll manage. Its sad that there are so few places to go see a game. I guess there is always Ikes if the Cellar falls through.

Well, I will watch at home before I contribute to the Greenville economy and have to watch the game in Tiger territory (kudos to Wake Forest yesterday).

As a Greenvillian, I'll return the favor in kind and make sure I don't stop in Spartanburg County for gas or fast food on trips to Charlotte. :lol:

As a Greenvillian, I'll return the favor in kind and make sure I don't stop in Spartanburg County for gas or fast food on trips to Charlotte. :lol:

Nobody else does, why should you? Just joking of course, but isn't it insane that you have to think about where to go watch a game in Spartanburg? In Greenville, its kind of "I'll meet you at the Corner Pocket, or Dixie's Tavern, or Sharkey's, or Meatheads or 5 other places to watch the game". We also have to have this kind of discussion here in the "SC" about where to go out to eat at night. Once you name 5-7 places, you are pretty much done.

Ha anyone been in Club 299? I was in there several months ago during the day. It is quite nice and would be a great place to support. Also, since it is a Marriott, they do not allow any smoking on their properties.

speaking of support....My wife and I had a great time for a short getaway at the Hapmton Inn at Riverplace, and a wonderful meal at Larkin's. (as well as a cool lunch at Trio Grill.

Edited by hub-city

Nobody else does, why should you? Just joking of course, but isn't it insane that you have to think about where to go watch a game in Spartanburg? In Greenville, its kind of "I'll meet you at the Corner Pocket, or Dixie's Tavern, or Sharkey's, or Meatheads or 5 other places to watch the game". We also have to have this kind of discussion here in the "SC" about where to go out to eat at night. Once you name 5-7 places, you are pretty much done.

Yeah, I was just teasing you. I actually always take out of town guest to Spartanburg to Beacon. I do my share for the Spartanburg economy.

About game watching and "Tiger" territory, I must say that Quaker Steak does a very balanced job. They have two special booths....one has a garnet ceiling with Gamecock logo and the walls have all USC photos, trophies, etc. They have another booth that has an orange ceiling with Tiger paw and the walls have all Clemson photos, trophics, etc. Of course, neither do me any good, as I'm a Bama grad and diehard Bama fan. :lol:

Yeah, I was just teasing you. I actually always take out of town guest to Spartanburg to Beacon. I do my share for the Spartanburg economy.

About game watching and "Tiger" territory, I must say that Quaker Steak does a very balanced job. They have two special booths....one has a garnet ceiling with Gamecock logo and the walls have all USC photos, trophies, etc. They have another booth that has an orange ceiling with Tiger paw and the walls have all Clemson photos, trophics, etc. Of course, neither do me any good, as I'm a Bama grad and diehard Bama fan. :lol:

Trophies? Us Gamecocks have trophies? Wow, someone must have stolen the womens indoor NCAA track trophy out of the case in Cola and moved it over to Quaker Steak. I wonder if George Roger's Heisman is there as well? Those are the only 2 USC trophies I can think of. I'll have to check that place out next time I am in Greenville.

Edited by Sparkleman

Trophies? Us Gamecocks have trophies? Wow, someone must have stolen the womens indoor NCAA track trophy out of the case in Cola and moved it over to Quaker Steak. I wonder if George Roger's Heisman is there as well? Those are the only 2 USC trophies I can think of. I'll have to check that place out next time I am in Greenville.

Dude, I appreciate your cynicism, but there more trophies than that.

Well, I will watch at home before I contribute to the Greenville economy and have to watch the game in Tiger territory (kudos to Wake Forest yesterday)...
Well, does Spartanburg (apparently aka "Gamecock Territory") have a restaurant/bar like Rendezvous Cafe which prides itself on being a well-known home for Gamecock fans in the Upstate? You favorably mentioned the former Spartanburg Wild Wing Cafe earlier, yet neglected to consider the fact that it was likely the most Clemson-oriented restaurant/bar in the city. The 'Tiger Tailgate Show' was hosted by that restaurant several times during football road games.

I ate at Justin's a couple of times last week (once for lunch and once for dinner). The food is very good and the prices, especially for lunch, are not that high. I try to eat at all of the downtown restaurants as much as I can, just to do my small part plus the food is awesome. Even Delaney's has a good lunch menu although still a little smoky for me.

I hope Justin's can hold on downtown and someone hurries up and gets Wild Wings back going. I miss the wing bar.