Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm the deal on Wild Wing as a buddy of mine that works for a local bank told me that they are providing the financing and the guy that is buying in (he's from Greer) is very financially stable.

In other restaurant news, Cafe on Morgan Square closed yesterday citing current economic conditions and less foot traffic downtown as the major reasons. To me this is no surprise. How these guys made it as long as they did is a miracle.

Also, some form of activity is taking place at Captain Tony's. All the outside furniture is gone and there is a POD sitting outside. I would guess whichever bank is holding this note might be selling off whatever assets there are to sell. The place had been totally redone, so if it were going to reopen, why would they be taking stuff out?

On a brighter note, I was down at the Brossierre last night for drinks and they had a pretty lively crowd between 6-8. They have a most excellent bar.

I am surprised the Cafe' on Morgan Square made it this long too. It was a fantastic location, but the food was crappy and very expensive. Not what is used to be. This would be a great time for a new sandwich shop to open. I just haven't been impressed with Groucho's. The food is decent, but I don't want a waitress for a sandwich. I don't have time to wait on my order to be taken, refills and then where's the bill in 30 minutes.

Great news on Wild Wings. I thought it would take a little longer to reopen as I heard the purchaser was waiting for the site to go into forclosure to buy it at a greater discount.

Captain Tony's has sublet to a mom and pop. These people are new to the business and I will be surprised if it makes it, but you never know.

I still haven't tried the B.E., I will try it out in the next few weeks.

99 South Church St. (the old Crossroads Coffee) has pushed its opening back to June. Renovations are taking longer than expected.

Still no work on the old Rock Water Tavern. It has had a leased sign up for a while. I also noticed the Ryan's on E. Main St. has been leased.

Groucho's service is just inconsistent. Sometimes its great, other times its not. IMO the layout is confusing. It looks like its supposed to be a deli where you go up to the counter and order, then they bring it to you. My only major complaint is that they are a restaurant out of Five Points, so they should have some better quality Gamecock paraphernalia.

Has anyone here been to the cigar bar at Church and Dunbar? I gather it has rather limited hours -- weekend evenings only? Do they have wine/beer/full bar? Coffee and dessert menu, perhaps?

C. Edwards cigar store is a pretty cool joint. Leather sofas, a couple of flat screens in discreet places, and an intimate outside area in the rear make for a good experience. I don't smoke but they have the best in high gravity brews as well as coffee and wine. Its open most every day, but we only hit it on weekends.

I have a bad feeling the old Ryans is gonna become a Golden Corral or in other words a trough for all the idiots that want 5000 calories per sitting for $8.

I also noticed that the Burger King on Fernwood Glendale has closed, even the sign is gone. Thats pretty amazing considering its been there at least 35 years and they rarely close. I can't imagine what fast food option is next here.

I also noticed that the Burger King on Fernwood Glendale has closed, even the sign is gone.

I saw that the other night just as I was about to turn in to pick up a hamburger. I hate that. It was quick, convenient and not chicken when I want something fast that I can eat in the car on my way somewhere. Do you know when it closed?

When I was at the Fresh Market Wednesday night, I noticed that Subway had opened, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I may already know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any good authentic Mexican food to be had within 10-15 miles of the "SC"? I am really craving it right now and Monterrey, Corona, & Broncho's don't cut it. Is there a nugget out there that I am missing (please)?

I think I may already know the answer to this question, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any good authentic Mexican food to be had within 10-15 miles of the "SC"? I am really craving it right now and Monterrey, Corona, & Broncho's don't cut it. Is there a nugget out there that I am missing (please)?

For "authentic" you better hop on a plane for the southwest 'cause you ain't going to find it in these parts (although I'm certain a Greenville poster will vehemently insist there's one there).

I'm not aware of any. They are all the basic crappy delicious mexican. One of my favorites was over in Duncan- El Mocajete on 290 just north of 85. I haven't been there in years though. The Bronco's on Union Street is pretty good. You can get less greasy options... of course thats a relative statement I suppose.

I still think that if someone would open a good restaurant that it would succeed because there are relatively few of them in town. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just needs to be tasty, and not overloaded with grease.

Non-national-chain Restaurants that fit into this category that come to mind are:

City Range

Justin's Steakhouse

Lime Leaf

Basserie Ecosse

Gerhard's Cafe

What am I missing?

For "authentic" you better hop on a plane for the southwest 'cause you ain't going to find it in these parts (although I'm certain a Greenville poster will vehemently insist there's one there).

I won't post vehemently..... ;) ......but.......actually there is an "authentic" Mexican home cooking restaurant in Greenville. Just a short drive from anyone in Spartanburg.

Fonda Rosalinda's. Rosie and her family moved here from Mexico. It is true Mexican home cooking. Fresh produce is brought in daily and all is cooked fresh. You won't get cheese on anything even if you asked....cheese is a bit of a no-no. True home recipes she grew up with. Margarita's made with fresh squeezed limes, no syrup mix. An excellent restaurant for a true taste of Mexico. Simple interior with simple curtains and Nancy Sinatra / Jazz playing....no typical Tex-Mex wall art or Mariachi music. A solid place. It's been written up in magazines in Atlanta as part of suggested weekend trips to Greenville.

http://www.upstatefoodie.com/restaurants/d...s-greenville-sc

There are a few authentic-looking Mexican restaurants in the Berea area as well, but I haven't tried any of them yet. One thing I've noticed is that the only people usually eating there are Hispanic. That's got to count for something, especially since I don't recall seeing any Hispanics eating at the generic places like Monterrey and Corona.

There are a few authentic-looking Mexican restaurants in the Berea area as well, but I haven't tried any of them yet. One thing I've noticed is that the only people usually eating there are Hispanic. That's got to count for something, especially since I don't recall seeing any Hispanics eating at the generic places like Monterrey and Corona.

Its interesting that you say that. I usually base my decisions on Mexican restaurants based on how many natives are eating at them. That said, I've seen them at a few locations around town- specifically Mexico Lindo East on Fernwood-Glendale Rd and Bronco's on Union St.

Most of these restaurants are run by Hispanics, but I the key difference that you mentioned is the fresh ingredients. I went to a restaurant that uses fresh ingredients down in Charleston, and it is BY FAR the best Mexican food I've ever had. Once you've had it, it makes you think more seriously about the merits of the slow food/eat local/organic food movement.

I've heard there is a new Mexican Place up on Asheville Hwy near Valley Falls Rd (in the Hispanic part of town) that is good and frequented by Hispanics, but I've not been yet so I can't speak to the ingredients.

El Molchajete in Duncan is probably the best Mexican restaurant in the county. I've seen buses enroute from mexico to Charlotte stop there to let everyone aboard eat, although i'm sure that's in part becasue it's so close to the highway. Still, everything I've had there has been good -- especially the oysters.

Yes, there is a new Mexican restaurant on Asheville Highway, a block north of the old Harley dealership. I can't remember the name (it's Casa something) but it's in an old brick house that's been painted coral pink, you can't miss it. They serve traditional tamales in corn husks, among other things. But the one time I've been there, they were out of guacamole and all beers except Corona and Bud.

You might also try San Marcos at the intersection of New Cut and Fairforest. There was a seafood restaurant there for awhile. It's not much on decor, but most of the customers are Hispanic. In fact, even the staff speaks limited English. But the food is good. :-)

I still think that if someone would open a good restaurant that it would succeed because there are relatively few of them in town. It doesn't have to be fancy, it just needs to be tasty, and not overloaded with grease.

Non-national-chain Restaurants that fit into this category that come to mind are:

City Range

Justin's Steakhouse

Lime Leaf

Basserie Ecosse

Gerhard's Cafe

What am I missing?

Thai Taste

Miyako's Sushi

Five Spices (Indian)

Broadway Bagels (no dinner)

Nu Way for the greasy burger..... just voted best burger in SC by FOOD NETWork...

The Converse Deli has been getting good reviews from the locals.

City Range

Justin's Steakhouse

Lime Leaf

Basserie Ecosse

Gerhard's Cafe

What am I missing?

Thai Taste

Miyako's Sushi

Five Spices (Indian)

Broadway Bagels (no dinner)

Nu Way for the greasy burger..... just voted best burger in SC by FOOD NETWork...

The Converse Deli has been getting good reviews from the locals.

I'd like to plug Bangkok in Converse Plaza. I've been eating there for years and haven't found a better Thai restaurant. The owner is a native of Thailand who immigrated with his family to Spartanburg.

I usually dine at the Nu-Way about once a month. The burgers are as good as the Spice plus you can get a brew. The last time I was in Ikes, the tab for a 2 dogs, fries, and a tea was close to $8. Thats a little much for lunch and was out of line compared to Holmes where you get the same thing for $6.35 and its a better dog. I know the amount by heart as I dine at Holmes like 4-5 times a month.