Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

Wait by 'SC' do you mean South Carolina or Spartanburg County?

SC = South Carolina

the link is http://www.foodnetwork.com/50-states-50-bu...kage/index.html

It is specifically the Redneck Burger.... pretty darn good IMO. :thumbsup:

On tues and thurs they have burger lunch specials: Burger, fries, drink for under $7.

I used to love the hot dogs... but have given too much thought about what is in a weiner...... kinda gross. Nonetheless the chili is delish..

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for that link. I've had my share of burgers in South Carolina and I never would have picked Nu Way as the best. Maybe the world-famous Beacon. I guess I need to get back to Nu Way.... it is the oldest bar in downtown Spartanburg after all. That has to say something.

While down at Folly Beach several weeks back we came across a simple but cool place called Taco Boy. We actually ate more Mexican at the beach than we did seafood as well as consuming the margaritas. If you check the menu, you will note that it is not expensive at all and all the ingrediants were very fresh. This is the kind of place that would work well downtown.

http://www.tacoboy.net/

Maybe the world-famous Beacon. I guess I need to get back to Nu Way.... it is the oldest bar in downtown Spartanburg after all. That has to say something.

Beacon burgers are pressed and frozen. Nu way has fresh ground beef... hand pattied.... I did have some onion rings from the Beacon which made me quite happy. I like the Beacon's hash.. heavy on the red. "Call IT!""

These new owners are pretty reputable folks so it should not be a problem.

Has anyone heard of a new burger joint opening behind Sonny's downtown called Sonny's on the Side Burgers? I get a coupon book in the mail called Coupon Clipper that I think everyone in town gets as most of my relatives get it as well. Anyway there was a coupon for Sonny's Pizzeria in there this month and a note that said to watch for Sonn'y on the Side Burgers opening soon. Could this be happening over on the back side of Sonny's on Ezell St?

Yeah, I think I heard somewhere that Sonny's owns that (since it all used to be Java Jive). At one point they were talking Oyster Bar, Jazz Club, and then Sports Bar. IMO a good burger joint/sports bar would be great. No offense to Wild Wings, but Spartanburg needs more Sports Bars.

QS 1 owns the building that Sonny's is in and all the newly updated vacant storefronts behind Sonny's. Sonny's was going to do an Oyster bar a couple of years ago, but I don't know why he didn't follow through with that, I think it would do good. A good burger joint in the form of a sports bar is also needed IMO. Its great that Wild Wings will be reopening soon, but another sports bar will only help downtown. I also heard that Downtown Blues will be opening in June in the former Crossroads Coffee location across from Wild Wings, demolition and remodeling has already began. The old Pizza Hut across from Starbucks on Pine St. will be torn down to make way for a new Waffle House. Rockers is making good progress with its location. Maybe by the middle of Summer Downtown Spartanburg will be hopping once again.

El Molchajete in Duncan is probably the best Mexican restaurant in the county. I've seen buses enroute from mexico to Charlotte stop there to let everyone aboard eat, although i'm sure that's in part becasue it's so close to the highway. Still, everything I've had there has been good -- especially the oysters.

Yes, there is a new Mexican restaurant on Asheville Highway, a block north of the old Harley dealership. I can't remember the name (it's Casa something) but it's in an old brick house that's been painted coral pink, you can't miss it. They serve traditional tamales in corn husks, among other things. But the one time I've been there, they were out of guacamole and all beers except Corona and Bud.

You might also try San Marcos at the intersection of New Cut and Fairforest. There was a seafood restaurant there for awhile. It's not much on decor, but most of the customers are Hispanic. In fact, even the staff speaks limited English. But the food is good. :-)

I rolled into San Marcos today for lunch as I was on that side of town. Its quite true that the decor is not much, in fact it sucks. The cleanliness factor might also come into play here as it was a little dicey in places. The staff was very nice, the food arrived in a timely manner, but it wasn't anything special from a taste standpoint. Think Monterrey's minus all the cheese. But the overiding factor was it just seemed like a dirty joint.

I intend to try the one on Asheville Highway next time I am over that way and hopefully the results will be better.

Hey man, its not your fault. I am willing to follow anyone's recommendation for a restaurant I have not tried.

The new burger joint that is coming is actually called Sonny's on the Side, but I do not have any further info as Sonny's website has not been updated recently.

The wife and I had Mexican on our minds last night so we headed out to La Casita on Asheville Hwy. We got there about 8:50 and it was closed. I am a little confused here as it was open for lunch on Thursday when I passed by and while 8:50 on a Saturday night is a little late for dinner, I would not think they would be closed. There was a sign on the door that said they were applying for a liquor license but there was no mention about their hours.

Does anyone have any input on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the HJ has been reading UP :)

Nu Way Burger

Now for something healthy. The hours are limited to Saturday. I assume these people work full-time jobs. I enjoy this food and hope to visit soon!!!

Valerie Ianuario and...

her husband lived in Germany for 5 years and became very accustomed to fresh foods and felt so much better... we have opened a D

The city is going to pitch in around 40,000 to help with renovations and upgrades to Wild Wings. I think they want to spend about 400,000 on total improvements. Late July opening.

Since that building was just renovated and new equipment installed, I don't see how they could spend $400,000. New furniture?

Is it going to be another franchise of WW?

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple of recent tidbits as the wife and I were out on the town both Friday & Saturday night.

1) Friday- Sonny's is a great place to go for a drink and Mellow Mushroom is still nice to sit outside even if its 95 as its shaded.

2) I had dinner at La Taverna at Westgate to celebrate my birthday. I know its not in the city limits but folks that go to Olive Garden/Renato vs here are missing the boat. The owner is from Naples, Italy and most of the food is authentic and fantastic. This would be a great addition to downtown if the guy would go for moving (wishful thinking here).

3) Downtown Saturday at 9 at night was like a ghost town. There was no one anywhere and you can really feel the loss of Abby's and the missing Wild Wing. Justins was almost empty as was the cigar bar and Delaneys. I know the recession is hurting things but it was pretty embarrasing.

4) It appears Rock Water Tavern may still be open. There were cars in the parking lot, lights on in and outside, and the for lease sign is down. I didn't go in, but something is going on over there.

5) The old Captain Tonys is being refurbished and apparently will be called Dudleys Restaurant as this is what one of the work permits says. It looks nice and it looks like it will open soon. I wish it luck.

Thanks for the updates!

I've also heard good things about La Taverna.

The Cuban restaurant (not sure what it's called) in the red brick house in Hillcrest is also pretty good from what I hear, and has reasonable prices. The owner is from Cuba and sounds like Rick Ricardo.

I'm glad that despite the recession and everything, Spartanburg is getting a wider variety of restaurants to choose from.