Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

Hi,

Which of these are completely non-smoking? I try to go with my family to non-smoking places. Although, I do admit that I will grab a burger or listen to music once in a while where smoking seems to be encouraged. Places that allow smoking and have a kid's menu really bug me.

I know that Papa's still has ashtrays on the tables, I am not sure about the others. I am a non-smoker, so it isn't something I look for. None of these places ask "Smoking or non-smoking" if I need a table.

Monsoon Noodle House

Venus Pie

Mellow Mushroom

Papa's Breakfast Nook

Bubba's BBQ

Holmes Hotdogs.

The Beacon

Wades

Of these restaurants, I'm pretty sure that Monsoon Noodle House, Wades, and Venus Pie are non smoking. Could be wrong about VP though. Maybe Bubba's too? It's been a while since I've been to some of these places.

Speaking of which, in the past couple of months, City Council looked at a smoking ban for Spartanburg. Does anyone know what came of that?

City Council brought up the possible smoking ordinance as just a discussion. I think they're going to do some research and have some meetings about the possibility. Nothing concrete yet; maybe later this year.

Here's the article about it from April 13:

Herald-Journal article

There is still nothing pending on it. I know The Spark covers city council meetings, and if I remember correctly they are in recess for the next week or so. It will be addressed eventually, and it should be interesting to see how it pans out.

Of these restaurants, I'm pretty sure that Monsoon Noodle House, Wades, and Venus Pie are non smoking. Could be wrong about VP though. Maybe Bubba's too? It's been a while since I've been to some of these places.

Speaking of which, in the past couple of months, City Council looked at a smoking ban for Spartanburg. Does anyone know what came of that?

Unless something has changed in the past couple of months...

Venus Pie allows smoking on the side near the kitchen (main dinning area)

Monsoon has a smoking section in the upper level on evenings.

Papa's allows smoking.

Wade's is completely non-smoking.

True. It varies though. I am thinking about places in Charleston and Myrtle Beach that have roof top terraces or patios that work really well. They don't add much to the street level activity but they are fun places to visit. I suppose the other thing to consider is putting this sort of rooftop deck on a taller building, so that there is a view (there won't be much of one at the old Meridian Bank location).

Well you would be able to look down on the Denny's plaza which is not a bad view and at night it would be cool just to be looking down on everything else. I did a little digging and the building is owned by Charles Habistreutinger. He is a younger guy and may be willing to lease for a resonable amount unlike many others downtown. There is a for lease sign on the building, so there may be hope for this location after all.

I also cruised down Magnolia St this weekend. I still think the old Baber Ryhne Drug building would be a viable location as well. Its 2 stories tall with an empty lot both behind it and beside it where a deck could go. I would assume you could also use the roof provided it is strong enough. This building was built in 1900 so who knows how strong the structure really is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is not downtown, but still good news. Cook-Out is opening their first restaurant in South Carolina in the old Dunkin' Donuts location at 1996 E Main St.

Herald-Journal article

I went to college at NC State in Raleigh, and Cook-Out is extremely popular up there in NC. Tasty burgers and shakes. Should be a great new fast food option for Spartanburg.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah that should do well. I'm personally not a fan, but every one that I've ever been to has always been packed. It's cool to have the first one in South Carolina in Spartanburg.

My niece spoke the manager of Cook Out yesterday, and he indicated that they've also bought property somewhere in the Dorman Center.

Edited by clemsonfn

Does anyone know what happened to TNT Hot Wings on John B. White Sr. Blvd? They had the best wings in Spartanburg, although their location was horrible.

There was a fire in the kitchen about 2 months ago and it destroyed the place. I have heard that the owner (Terrance Tyson) is planning on reopening either at the same location or a new one. The old location has been gutted and looks from the outside like it is ready for new construction. I go that way home most days and used to pick them up all the time. They were indeed the best wings in town and it wasn't even close. As for the location, thats exactly where I would expect the best wings in town to come from.

A new restaurant has opened downtown on Spring St called Cribbs Kitchen. It is on the part of Spring that runs parallel to Magnolia. Apparently it used to only cater but recently moved to serving lunch and brunch on weekends. I saw a menu somewhere on line but can't find it now. This is the only link I can find.

Cribbs

From the picture on their Facebook page, it looks like Cribbs is in the building where Delightful Bitefuls used to be located. The food looks good, based on the pictures on the Facebook page. I'll have to stop by and check this place out. It's always good to have a new restaurant downtown.

I found a link to the menu, also.

Cribbs Kitchen menu

My wife and I had lunch at Cribbs today. Yes, it is in the building where Delightful Bitefuls used to be. The food was excellent! Possibly the best Panini sandwich I have had in Spartanburg! We will definitely be back!

Warning: The place is tiny (7 tables). This is not a problem for us since we did an early lunch (11:00am), however if you wait until 11:45 or later, you will most likely have a wait!

From the picture on their Facebook page, it looks like Cribbs is in the building where Delightful Bitefuls used to be located. The food looks good, based on the pictures on the Facebook page. I'll have to stop by and check this place out. It's always good to have a new restaurant downtown.

I found a link to the menu, also.

Cribbs Kitchen menu

• 2 weeks later...

Longhorn steakhouse is coming back to Spartanburg. While I'm thrilled that they are coming back, I'm a little shocked at their site choice. they are going into the westgate village shopping center in the old Pier 1 location. now while I'm all for re-use of big boxes, i'm just a little surprises that they would choose that one since circuit city is no longer there, and the only other stores are dollar general and office depot. the article says that it will be based on their new "modern" style. they have a lot of work to do to make that place look modern, but more power to 'em.

ARTICLE

Longhorn steakhouse is coming back to Spartanburg. While I'm thrilled that they are coming back, I'm a little shocked at their site choice. they are going into the westgate village shopping center in the old Pier 1 location. now while I'm all for re-use of big boxes, i'm just a little surprises that they would choose that one since circuit city is no longer there, and the only other stores are dollar general and office depot. the article says that it will be based on their new "modern" style. they have a lot of work to do to make that place look modern, but more power to 'em.

ARTICLE

Surprised as well. That entire complex needs to be bull-dozed and rebuilt from the ground up.

I was hopeful that would happen with only Office Max/Depot and the Dollar Tree still there. Perhaps Longhorn can bring an anchor in, but I'm not betting on it.

I'd still love to see a Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Earthfare/Fresh Market where CC was.

[

Surprised as well. That entire complex needs to be bull-dozed and rebuilt from the ground up.

I was hopeful that would happen with only Office Max/Depot and the Dollar Tree still there. Perhaps Longhorn can bring an anchor in, but I'm not betting on it.

I'd still love to see a Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Earthfare/Fresh Market where CC was.

An employee at Toys R Us told my wife that a Babies R Us would fill one of the spots in that shopping center. Currently, Haywood Rd in Greenville is the closest Babies R Us.

Since TNT was not available for wings for the USC opener we went to the Beacon for the Thursday special rib plate. 4-5 meaty pork ribs on the rack, hushpuppies, & 2 sides (slaw and fries/rings) all for $8.50. What a deal and tasty as heck. It made for a sweet at home tailgate as we got them to go.

This is a deal worth exploring if you don't get to the Beacon on a regular basis.

• 1 month later...

I was walking down Dunbar St Saturday morning with my dogs and saw a sign in a window of a building that is down from the old Belks but not quite to Church St. It was a sign for a new restaurant coming called Hub Diggity Dog (pretty cool name). I wonder if this is in any way related to the guy that wanted to open the hot dog stand on Main St a while back.

Yeah, I went downtown yesterday and saw the sign for Hub Diggity Dogs (which, I agree, is a cool name). It is on Dunbar Street just around the corner from Church St. The space is absolutely tiny. Though, it has a drive-thru-like sliding window, so maybe you'll just walk up and order? Here is a picture I took:

post-24605-070202900 1286900690_thumb.jp

A walk up order place would be awesome. Actually, that place will be great regardless, especially if they stay open late on weekends. Looks like there's also room for a few tables out front too.

I used to like going to the other hot dog place back in the day that used to be where Imagination Station is now.