Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

Bad news, The Tap Room at RJ Rockers is closing on October 23. I'm pretty surprised by this. Every time I went by the place, it looked like it was packed with people. However, the article said that the owner had more money going out than coming in (70% of the Rock on the Dock events lost money, for example). Perhaps they spent too much money on bringing in (excellent) bands? I guess it doesn't help that they don't really serve food; just beer.

Herald-Journal article

On the bright side, the article mentions that the property owner is in the process of negotiating a deal with a full-service restaurant and bar for the space, so hopefully there won't be a void there for too long.

For those of you interested in wings, TNT Hot Wings appears to be on the verge of reopening in a new and what I think is a better location. There are TNT signs up at 456 Union St (between Alexander St and Marion Ave)ser to both downtown, Hampton & Converse Heights, and the rest of the east side. This will probably have no effect on downtown, but if you ever come off the rail trail hungry there is an answer close by.

This also comes at a good time as there is plenty of football season left to go.

For those of you interested in wings, TNT Hot Wings appears to be on the verge of reopening in a new and what I think is a better location. There are TNT signs up at 456 Union St (between Alexander St and Marion Ave)ser to both downtown, Hampton & Converse Heights, and the rest of the east side. This will probably have no effect on downtown, but if you ever come off the rail trail hungry there is an answer close by.

This also comes at a good time as there is plenty of football season left to go.

Thank you! I am definitely interested and now eagerly looking forward to those delicious wings again!

Yeah, I went downtown yesterday and saw the sign for Hub Diggity Dogs (which, I agree, is a cool name). It is on Dunbar Street just around the corner from Church St. The space is absolutely tiny. Though, it has a drive-thru-like sliding window, so maybe you'll just walk up and order? Here is a picture I took:

post-24605-070202900 1286900690_thumb.jp

Hub Diggity Dogs now has a website and an article in the Herald-Journal. Grand opening is next Monday, November 8th.

www.hubdiggitydogs.com

• 1 month later...

There will be a new restaurant coming to the Grain District. The owners of Main Street Pub have leased the old Tap Room with plans to bring a restaurant there. No details were given about what type, but they hope to open in the 1st quarter of 2011.

I hope it will be a success, because we need another good offering downtown. I also hope it offers lunch.

ARTICLE

Wow, that's disapointing if it is... You've got Brickhouse across the street, with Mellow Mushroom and Venus Pizzaeria downtown already. Can we get some variety please?

I still say downtown needs good, fresh Mexican. Seems like Taco Boy would have been a great fit. I guess they decided not to take a second look at Spartanburg.

• 2 weeks later...

An employee at Toys R Us told my wife that a Babies R Us would fill one of the spots in that shopping center. Currently, Haywood Rd in Greenville is the closest Babies R Us.

Confirmation in the SHJ: http://www.goupstate.com/article/20101218/ARTICLES/12181003/1086?Title=Toys-R-Us-moving-on-west-side-of-Spartanburg

I have heard some talk over the weekend that Mexican may be coming downtown just not in the form of Taco Boy. The word is a Mexican restaurant (not sure who at this point) is looking to sdet up shop in the old Linders Jewelers and the vacant alteration shop next door. This would be the last 2 buildings next to C.Edwards on Church and on the corner of Church and Dunbar. Right now, its just some loose talk, but its the first talk of Mexican coming downtown in the history of the "SC" (sparkle city).

This sorce also said it is a virtual slam dunk that it will be pizza in the old Tap Room.

Interesting. I'm all for Mexican downtown. That is unique and fun. Pizza? I think it's good to have competition, and I hope the market is there to support it. To that end, I haven't been to Venus Pie since Mellow Mushroom opened up as I usually go there or Sonny's if I'm feeling like pizza.

The funny thing is is that it is the guys that own Main St Pub are the ones that are doing the restaurant in the Tap Room. They know all about Sonny's and their business model and how it will be tough to compete especially now that Sonny's has upgraded (very nicely by the way). Thats what's hard to comprehend to me.

In other news I heard that one of the owner's of Billy D's relatives plans to open an upscale breakfast/lunch joint in the old Honey B's out on the east side across from Brunswick Lanes. He is going to totally redo the building (it needs it) and after the lunch hours are over with sell casseroles to the dinner crowd. This IMHO will be a boom for the east side as we will no longer have to worry about going to the Skillet or Simple Simon for breakfast. Since its going to be upscale he may get a liquor license and sell bloody marys (yum!!). That would be sweet.

Edited by Sparkleman

• 2 weeks later...

Tutti Frutti frozen yogurt has opened up in Boiling Springs on Hwy 9 across from the Ingles. I haven't tried it out yet, but it appeared to be busy on New Years Day when I was at Ingles.

It looks like a national chain, and this is only their second store in SC (Haywood Rd is the other): Tutti Frutti Yogurt

Tutti Frutti frozen yogurt has opened up in Boiling Springs on Hwy 9 across from the Ingles. I haven't tried it out yet, but it appeared to be busy on New Years Day when I was at Ingles.

It looks like a national chain, and this is only their second store in SC (Haywood Rd is the other): Tutti Frutti Yogurt

I thought they had a location in Columbia? Perhaps I confused the name with Fruiti Cup.