Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

The proximity to those two institutions isn't enough, IMO. College kids don't want upscale, and they are just out of sight of the CCC plaza, and thus out of mind to its patrons. Again, I really hope these guys succeed. I just think that doing so will require some reinvestment into that street and the parking area to make it more inviting.

Nope. The nearest Buffalo Wild Wings is on Woodruff Road in Greenville near the Shoppes at Greenridge. They've got a bold black & yellow color scheme going on. I've eaten at the one in the NASCAR HoF in Charlotte. They've got a good variety of wings' sauces as well as large burgers, but they're a tad on the expensive side.

I'm looking forward to more info about that possible restaurant in the Hub-Bub building.

Firehouse Subs will open a new store on Pine St. in Spartanburg soon. The signs are up and hiring should begin soon. It will be in the old Duncan Doughnut shop. This is kind of a downtown store, but I would like to see it on Morgan Square instead. I guess the available drive thru at this location is a huge draw for the site.

The think I keep hearing as far as the bottom of Hub Bub is a mid to upper scale Argentinian steakhouse. I am not sure how well this will fly but we will see.

I also heard the old "NGA's" formerly on St John is about to become a wing joint. Now that IMHO will fly if true as college kids love wings and they are cheap.

Nope. The nearest Buffalo Wild Wings is on Woodruff Road in Greenville near the Shoppes at Greenridge. They've got a bold black & yellow color scheme going on. I've eaten at the one in the NASCAR HoF in Charlotte. They've got a good variety of wings' sauces as well as large burgers, but they're a tad on the expensive side.

Ohhh, that place. Yeah their food sucks. It could not possibly be more generic and overpriced.

My wife and I had brunch on Sunday at the new Mon Amie restaurant on the corner of Webber and Main on Sunday and it was out of this world. The owner is one of the former owners of Billy D's and he has this place going in the right direction full steam ahead. The place in nicely decorated and has about 20-25 tables as well as a bar where you can watch the food being prepared ( watching the crepes being made was pretty cool). The only downer was the joint doesn't have a liquor license so there were no bloody marys, but I could see him adding that in the future.

This place should be a boon for the east side as it serves breakfast, brunch, and lunch. It closes at 4 so there is no dinner but they make casseroles to go. I can see scheduling some morning business meeting there in the future.

I heard there was a soft opening last night and it was packed. A buddy of mine went but only did a walk through due to the crowd. He said it was very nice and should do very well compared to the former Tap Room. I passed by yesterday and its pretty cool looking with all the outside tables and ceiling fans.

Looks like it is a hit right out of the box.

Cribbs

Grabbed a to-go menu yesterday. Can't see how the place won't be a hit. The menu had 12-15 "gourmet" burgers, assorted sandwichs and paninis, several intriquing salads (Crabcake Caeser Salad? Yes, please), and $15-$20 upscale entrees (steak, chicken, shrimp, fish). Looking forward to working my way through it. Most of the stuff on the menu are things I haven't seen in the upstate before.

I had lunch there yesterday and it was pretty rockin. I got a basic club called "kitchen club" and it exceeded expectations as it had pimento cheese cooked into it. The Parmesan fries were good also. The place has a very good vibe to it and it was pretty crowded for 11:30 am. A lot of folks I know went over the weekend and all had about the same experience.

I had lunch there yesterday and it was pretty rockin. I got a basic club called "kitchen club" and it exceeded expectations as it had pimento cheese cooked into it. The Parmesan fries were good also. The place has a very good vibe to it and it was pretty crowded for 11:30 am. A lot of folks I know went over the weekend and all had about the same experience.

I had dinner at Cribb's Kitchen Friday evening. Good food and a cool atmosphere. Service was a wee bit slow but that could have been due to the newness of the place and the crowd. What I really liked was the diversity of the menu. A plethora of choices you don't normally see in Spartanburg.

I'm convinced that if a product or service offered or sold downtown is good,really good, Spartanburg will support it. What we need now is for Monsoon to reopen, someone good to set up shop in the Hub Bub building, and a major presence in the old Ellis Bistro building. If that happens downtown Spartanburg could finally be on it's way to becoming a dining and entertainment destination to rival ???, at least on a modest scale.

Tried to order something to-go Saturday night and was told by the hostess (?) that "We're not doing to-go orders tonight" and she couldn't tell me when they would start.

I understand that it's a little hectic right now; hope it settles down soon and I can try the place out. Hard to get out of the house for a sit-down with three children under 5.

• 1 month later...

The Spice of Life has officially opened. I'm looking forward to some reviews. I hope this restaurant makes it, as I am still concerned the the location is less than desirable.

HJ Article

I wasn't living in Spartanburg during during the time the first iteration of the Spice of Life operated at the same location but understand it was successful. The new operator seems to have the right attitude, apparently is well capitalized, and has a proven track record at his west side Sahara restaurant. I've eaten once at Sahara and was not impressed although it was their Saturday lunch buffet and thought the selections were bland. I did meet the owner, who happens to be a Jordanian immigrant who has made Spartanburg his home.

The downtown restaurant scene is slowly improving. I'm anxious to see what moves into the Hub Bub building. Has anyone heard?

The Hub Bub building will be occupied by a multinational concept. It should open in about 2 months.

A new Fresh Market will be built on the East side. It will replace the store on Fernwood Dr. The new store will be a little larger and will have Main St. frontage a little closer to downtown.

I'd love to see Fresh Market move into the old Harris Teeter spot or at least anchor the Converse Corners shopping Center. This center remains attractive in spite of the loss of the aforementioned supermarket and the cinema. Do you have any idea where Fresh Market will relocate to?

had lunch at the Spice of Life. Didn't order off the menu. We just stuck with the buffet which was not bad. $7.50 without drink. it had ribs, chicken, tuna stuffed bell pepper, chicken salad, green beans, and pasta salad. Dessert was fresh berries or fruit cobbler. overall the food was pretty good for the price. Service needs some work. They were not very well trained. Hopefully that will improve. I did make some small talk with the owner and he now owns the building so he has a very vested interest in it's success.