Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

Thought I would mention a new and unique restaurant that has recently opened in Spartanburg, the Farmer's Table on Kennedy Street. The bright young owners serve only organic products (except for condiments, its a long story) and take pride and joy in doing this. R-S recently dined there and can vouch for the quality of the food.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I finally made it to Cribbs Kitchen. I thought that they were trying to be too much (nice restaurant, casual restaurant, bar/pub). I didn't understand the price disparity between the entrées and the sandwiches. I hate making this comparison to Charlotte, but if I were going to pay over $20 (base cost) for an entrée here, I'd expect the decor to be a smudge nicer (e.g.: no aluminum chairs). That being said, my food was fantastic. I had one of their specialty burgers and an RJ Rockers beer of some sort. I'll definitely be a repeat customer.

I finally made it to Cribbs Kitchen. I thought that they were trying to be too much (nice restaurant, casual restaurant, bar/pub). I didn't understand the price disparity between the entrées and the sandwiches. I hate making this comparison to Charlotte, but if I were going to pay over $20 (base cost) for an entrée here, I'd expect the decor to be a smudge nicer (e.g.: no aluminum chairs). That being said, my food was fantastic. I had one of their specialty burgers and an RJ Rockers beer of some sort. I'll definitely be a repeat customer.

A nice article in last Sunday's H-J about Cribbs and other young restaurant entrepreneurs setting up shop in Spartanburg. Regarding Cribbs, the article mentioned they "listen to the customer". Case in point, they installed sound deadening in the rear dining room at the request of some patrons. This change has definitely improved the noise level there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone on here who liked eating here, Steak Royale (formerly Steak & Ale) off Business I-85 has closed (I was in there the 2nd or 3rd week in March so I do not know when they closed exactly). They have came back from closure before when they were Steak & Ale and the chain permanently closed all (or most) of its restaurants excepting the one in Spartanburg. The Spartanburg one did close but came back as Steak and Spirits, then later Steak Royale. They kept some of their original cooks, wait staff, and perhaps management. I do not know if there are any plans to bring it back this time. I think the location and newer/younger people here not being aware of it is what ultimately killed this great, underrated place. I hope they bring it back again - but perhaps in a better location (it was on Charisma Drive between Hearon Circle and I-585/USC Upstate, which could be difficult to find if you don't get out there often, and even then, it was still a pain to get there).

If anyone has any inside information on this, I would love to hear it.

Yeah that place was in a terrible location. If they reopened somewhere else (I'm thinking Hillcrest area or Downtown) they would probably do better assuming the food was the same.

Access to this restaurant has always been tricky due to its location. However, I am surprised it closed because the product was essentially unchanged from it's Steak & Ale days.

• 5 weeks later...

Speaking of the old bank building, there's a NAI Earle Furman "For Lease" sign up, which I presume means that whatever was going to go there fell through.

But anyway, some good news is that the repair/renovation work at Delaney's is going full-bore now. I think they're hoping to reopen sometime in August.

Also, Hub Diggity Dogs is expanding into the neighboring space (which used to be an alterations shop). This will add 700 sq ft, which will have a 30-seat indoor dining area and restrooms, and will allow the current space to serve as an expanded kitchen. The expansion should be done in early July. (Herald-Journal article) I really think this place has been a great, sort of under-the-radar success story. If you haven't tried the lobster roll they serve on Fridays, do so. It is delicious.

Edited by westsider28

• 1 month later...

A couple of things on the eatery front. First, Spice of Life is closing, but the owners plan to reopen in the fall with a different concept ("southern inspired with a modern twist"). As has been mentioned before, that building is in an awful location. Until there's some new development nearby (Hub-City Co-op?), anything there will struggle.

Secondly, Converse Deli is opening a satellite location on Thursday in the Plaza on Main (old Bishop/Aug W Smith building) to serve the office lunch crowd who may be unable to make it to their main location. The article says this new location will be "downtown", as if their main one isn't. Semantics aside, this will likely do well. It will be nice to have something nearby for Denny's employees, I suppose.

A couple of things on the eatery front. First, Spice of Life is closing, but the owners plan to reopen in the fall with a different concept ("southern inspired with a modern twist"). As has been mentioned before, that building is in an awful location. Until there's some new development nearby (Hub-City Co-op?), anything there will struggle.

You know, I never made it to the Spice of Life but, frankly, am surprised it couldn't make it. In spite of it's redoubt-like location, there's a lot of good synergy with the CCC, The George, Advance America, etc. nearby. I was also impressed with the owner whom I met a couple of years ago before he committed to this venture.

Secondly, Converse Deli is opening a satellite location on Thursday in the Plaza on Main (old Bishop/Aug W Smith building) to serve the office lunch crowd who may be unable to make it to their main location. The article says this new location will be "downtown", as if their main one isn't. Semantics aside, this will likely do well. It will be nice to have something nearby for Denny's employees, I suppose.

It's a good location geographically, but not accessibility and visibility-wise. And it doesn't help that there's no way to cross St. John Street at Liberty Street from The George and CCC other than just sprinting across traffic like a game of Frogger. But anyway, I hope the owner's new concept turns out to be more successful.

I try my best to support our downtown restaurants and not bash them while they are still open. However, since it is closed, the Spice of Life's food was not that good and the service was awful. I'm usually very understanding and went several times but things never changed.

I hope the new restaurant concept will be great and I will be one of the first ones to give it a shot. I also hope that the co-op next door will help and they can go together to create a great area around the two buildings.

Edited by hub-city

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had dinner at the newly renovated Delaney's Sunday evening. Overall a good experience. Prices are reasonable, wait staff attentive, and the food good. Parking was plentiful on the square.

Delaney's seems to have a loyal following. Patrons and the bar / wait staff seemed familiar with each other. Said this before but I think more Spartans ought to give Delaney's and other downtown establishments a try before heading to the familiar chains OR to some other city nearby. Delaney's, I believe is open seven days and one of the few downtown options open all day on Sunday.

Edited by roads-scholar

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a rumor from a well placed source that Cribbs Kitchen is going to open a Mexican restaurant across the street from the existing place in the vacant lot that is currently there. If this is true, I have no doubt it will be a slam dunk and will be the type Mexican a lot of us are looking for (fresh ingredients, not greasy, not topped with tons of cheese). If we can't have a Taco Boy, this will be a good substitute.

I also heard Taco Sushi is looking at putting a joint in Spartanburg, but I do not know where. Usually when you don't know where, it means the west side.

I heard a rumor from a well placed source that Cribbs Kitchen is going to open a Mexican restaurant across the street from the existing place in the vacant lot that is currently there. If this is true, I have no doubt it will be a slam dunk and will be the type Mexican a lot of us are looking for (fresh ingredients, not greasy, not topped with tons of cheese). If we can't have a Taco Boy, this will be a good substitute.

I also heard Taco Sushi is looking at putting a joint in Spartanburg, but I do not know where. Usually when you don't know where, it means the west side.

Sparkleman, you're always digging up juicy nuggets for us! Thanks

Are you saying across West Main (the grassy lot next to Event Rentals)? Are they going to build a whole new building just for the restaurant? How big will it be? I hope it's not just a small 1-story, single-use building. That lot deserves something much larger (4+ stories, mixed-use). Why not just fill one of the MANY vacant buildings already in the Morgan Square area?

Are you saying across West Main (the grassy lot next to Event Rentals)? Are they going to build a whole new building just for the restaurant? How big will it be? I hope it's not just a small 1-story, single-use building. That lot deserves something much larger (4+ stories, mixed-use). Why not just fill one of the MANY vacant buildings already in the Morgan Square area?

Yeah, thats where I'm talking about Mr.Negativity. I really don't care if the building is the size of a phone booth and only has outside tables (ever been to Salsa's in Asheville?). Yes, the lot deserves bigger, but they could always add on. Again REAL mexican may be coming and all you care about is the size of the building.

As for the vacant building issue, go try to rent one downtown. All the old douche bags that own them don't want you to rent them, they want you to buy them then fix them up after you have paid the arm/leg it takes to buy them. Do you not read the paper westsider? There have been several articles over the years as to this being one of the main problems with the Burg's vacant buildings.