Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

As you would expect there were huge crowds at Willy Taco both at lunch & dinner last night. When I drove by at 6:30 last night the parking lot was packed and so was the one at Bell Hill across the street. Parking could be an issue (you really don't want to walk across 4 lanes of Main St. traffic after a couple of margaritas) but I am sure they will work something out.

The menu looks good but as with most of William Cribb destinations, its heavy (and yummy) on the alcohol side of things.

http://willytaco.com/

My wife and I decided to say the heck with the crowds and hit Willy Taco last night. Man am I ever glad we made that decision as it was AWESOME. I know I have been calling for fresh mex on these boards for what seems like forever (3-4 years) and Willy Taco really delivers the goods. The place itself is really hip in colors and designs with a heated porch, bar area where the windows open fully to the outside, and a regular seating area. We sat outside last night and while temps were in the high 40's, we were quite comfortable. Lots of good Mexican draught, big can, & bottled beer. My wife got a regular Margarita and it was very tasty while I had a beer off the tap (dos equis if anyone is interested). We had a quessadia app followed by 2 tacos a piece. The worst taco was still eons better than anything else currently available here in town. In other words they were all great. The service also was very professional. As with Cribbs (Williams other establishment besides the Speakeasy), these folks have been trained and trained well.

All in all it was very good and Spartanburg is lucky that this was done the correct way instead of a cheaper lower fare way. It also gives this section of town a huge lift as its cool to be down there. The biggest compliment I can give it is that folks from Greenville and surrounding areas that like fresh mex will be coming here as it blows away what they currently have and I would know.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Renato is coming to downtown and will be next to Delaneys. I walked in for a pint today and the glass is marked so its in the can. Not sure when they open, but they are indeed making the move as we suspected.

This is good for downtown.  Now we need someone to fill the old Abby's Grill location.

My wife and I decided to say the heck with the crowds and hit Willy Taco last night. Man am I ever glad we made that decision as it was AWESOME. I know I have been calling for fresh mex on these boards for what seems like forever (3-4 years) and Willy Taco really delivers the goods. The place itself is really hip in colors and designs with a heated porch, bar area where the windows open fully to the outside, and a regular seating area. We sat outside last night and while temps were in the high 40's, we were quite comfortable. Lots of good Mexican draught, big can, & bottled beer. My wife got a regular Margarita and it was very tasty while I had a beer off the tap (dos equis if anyone is interested). We had a quessadia app followed by 2 tacos a piece. The worst taco was still eons better than anything else currently available here in town. In other words they were all great. The service also was very professional. As with Cribbs (Williams other establishment besides the Speakeasy), these folks have been trained and trained well.

All in all it was very good and Spartanburg is lucky that this was done the correct way instead of a cheaper lower fare way. It also gives this section of town a huge lift as its cool to be down there. The biggest compliment I can give it is that folks from Greenville and surrounding areas that like fresh mex will be coming here as it blows away what they currently have and I would know.

I haven't tried Willy Taco yet but the place was pretty busy at 9pm New Years Eve.

Not downtown but does anyone know what is going in the old Picadilly near Acadamy and Sam's?

I'm sorry to report, but Spencer/Hines web site says that this site was sold to Regional Health Services. This is a real shame, Spartanburg needs quality dining

options and hotels along this corridor, not another medical facility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Renato's has a sign up on the door saying that they're hiring.  They've been taking longer than I expected, but this should mean that they're getting very close to opening.  Before the end of the month, hopefully?

Also, there is a health food restaurant called Cafe Around the Corner that should open in mid- to late-July at 121 Dunbar (just past Hub Diggity Dogs).

The number of food/drink options on or near the Square continues to grow.

Speaking of Hub Diggity Dog. A couple of weeks ago I heard the owner (believe his name is Bob) tell a customer he was moving the business to Boiling Springs. Then I was told this weekend that a restaurant was moving into the Hub Diggity Dog space, and now Bob is looking at vacant buildings between Spring Street and the old Abby's space. It is my understanding that one of the Main Street Challenge winners Tirado’s Empanadas and More is moving to the corner of Dunbar and Church. (facing Church) This will definitely increase foot traffic in that area and should help Growler Haus. Maybe one of you guys has more information.   

1- I agree. They could at least arrange a take-out service with some of the other places on the Square. 

2- I finally made it to Willy Taco. That place is pretty solid, and it reminds me of several places here in Charlotte in terms of quality and variety. The only thing that would make it better is if it were downtown. I think a place that popular would be a huge boon to the Square.

Yeah, I wish Willy Taco was downtown, too.  It would be nice if that area of East Main could grow more urban in time, but there are severe challenges (small area, parking issues, heavily traveled road, river behind, etc).

There was an update on Hub Diggity Dogs in the paper a few days ago.  Drexel, you were right that they are moving.  They will close at the end of this week, and they hope to reopen in another downtown location (in the area you mentioned) in the fall with an expanded menu and more hours of operation.  Hope they find the right spot.

I actually like it that Willy Taco is not on the square. I mean everything can't be down there and if you'll note Billy Cribb (1 of 5 partners in WT) always picks places where leases aren't going to be out of sight as they are on the square.

Having Willy Taco where it is makes it convenient to a lot more folks in its target market.

• Like 2

I was driving down Fernwood Glendale last night and noticed an empty parking lot and lights out at the 4 Seasons restaurant.

I inquired with a Greek friend of mine and he said they shuttered it about 2 weeks ago. I asked him why and all he said was that it went downhill. Anybody else know anything?

• Like 1

I was driving down Fernwood Glendale last night and noticed an empty parking lot and lights out at the 4 Seasons restaurant.

I inquired with a Greek friend of mine and he said they shuttered it about 2 weeks ago. I asked him why and all he said was that it went downhill. Anybody else know anything?

S-man I had lunch at Four Seasons about a month ago and it was, to say the least, an underwhelming experience. 

From today's SHJ:

In other business, David Garson, who plans to open a new “creative American” cuisine restaurant on the westside, introduced himself to council. Garson said his restaurant, “Friends and Company Bistro and Emporium” will open in about six weeks and will offer jazz music. Garson said he will open his 13,000-square-foot restaurant at 307 West Main St.

“We want it to be an extension of your living room,” Garson said. “Somewhere you can come three times a week and not break your bank.”

Cohen's Closeouts is in the "basement" of that building.  The restaurant is going to be at street level.  I'm concerned by the lack of web presence.  I haven't been able to find a website or Facebook page.  It's super important to have at least some information out there to build buzz / awareness, especially with their location being off-the-beaten-path.

Speaking of web presence, Renato's posted on Facebook yesterday that they're closing their current location this Saturday.  The new location on the Square will open the week after July 4th.  Can't wait!  This restaurant will be a great addition to the Square!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Several options for dining and drinking will soon open on Spartanburg's east and west sides and in Downtown.  I spoke with a reliable source from Motte & Sons Bootlegging, and she said that they had some challenges from the city, but hoped to be open by the Fourth of July.  It will be located on Daniel Morgan Avenue behind the Marriott.

Motte_and_Sons_1.jpg

Motte_and_Sons_2.jpg

BBQ fan favorite Pig-Out, which has been located on New Cut Road for almost 15 years, will open a second location on Drayton Road on August 1 (in the old Spanky's).

Pig_Out_Number_2.jpg

Speaking of BBQ, Little Pigs BBQ will open in the former Baskin-Robbins/Dunkin' Donuts on W.O. Ezell Blvd later this summer.

Little_Pigs_BBQ_Westside.jpg

And finally...the Westside will have a third location for Starbucks lovers to get their coffee fix...and its first stand-alone store.  It will locate in a newly-built strip, called the Shops at Blackstock, in a parcel which formerly served as locations for Brewmeister's, Hooters, and Hardee's.  Other tenants in the strip will include Men's Warehouse and Sleep Number.  It will also open later this summer.

Starbucks_Westgate.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has Motte & Son's opened yet?  They haven't been updating their website or Facebook page.

It looked like Renato's had a soft opening on Tuesday night when I drove by.  And it looked like they opened to the public tonight.  Can't wait to check out the new location!  (I've actually never eaten at the old location either. I know it's quite pricey, but I've heard the food is very good.)