Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

Two Eastside updates: Dino's Subs & Seafood opened this week on Morgan Square.  It reminds me of a somewhat more-expensive hybrid of Captain D's/Long John Silver's and WingStop/TNT Hot Wings.  Throw in some Miami Subs.

IMG-20140711-00515_zps7699cad1.jpg

The other news is that Fratello's Pizza, Pasta and Subs is locating in the former Mexico Lindo on Fernwood-Glendale.  No word yet on whether this is a second location or if they are moving out of their current Roebuck location.

IMG-20140712-00517_zps151ade89.jpg

Edited by cec0605

I rolled into Renato's last night wife the wife for a drink and it is amazing inside. The new bar area (16 seats) is really cool & fun and the bartenders really know what they are doing. I had a Manhattan and it was the best one I'd had in a long time. The Speakeasy is getting some stiff competition here. It was very crowded and everything we heard was positive. Its going to be a great addition to the Square.

• Like 2

Yes it was a Jack in the Box and for that reason I will have a hard time trying Deno's as JIB was a very unpleasant experience.

Deno's has been getting mixed reviews on the eastside Nextdoor sites. Some love it; others don't.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Texas Roadhouse is building a new location on the West side. It will go where the old El Dorado motel used to be,

if any of you remember where that fine establishment used to be ( Powel Mill Rd and W. Main St.)

Good news.  This property has been awaiting a quality development.  Thanks for passing this along!

The BBQ wars may be heating up even further. I heard today that Moe's BBQ (Alabama) may be interested in setting up shop in the old Hardees on Kennedy St. That would fill a long vacant building and bring another great BBQ joint (Pig Out being the other) to the eastside. Their Q is quality as I have been to the one in Asheville.

The BBQ wars may be heating up even further. I heard today that Moe's BBQ (Alabama) may be interested in setting up shop in the old Hardees on Kennedy St. That would fill a long vacant building and bring another great BBQ joint (Pig Out being the other) to the eastside. Their Q is quality as I have been to the one in Asheville.

Seems like a not-so-great location unless (1) the building is renovated and (2) some of the Nu-Way crowd heads over their for some "Q". :fun:

Lees has been in that location for well over 20 years. They are moving to the old frame shop on Henry Street.

IMG_1612_zps3b03896f.jpg

IMG_1611_zpsedb39048.jpg

I just found out today that the chicken restaurant at Henry Street will now be called Hub City Chicken & More.  Unsure if this will be a completely new or different concept or almost the same as Lee's with same management and staff (but separated from Lee's corporate).  I was told it should be open in the next two weeks.

• Like 1

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140826/ARTICLES/140829721

Captain D's is looking to reenter Spartanburg County and the rest of the Upstate.  It has been at least 20 years since Captain D's was last in Spartanburg (it was located where the westside Fuji now resides).  Shoney's was next door in the building that recently housed a Mexican restaurant and, before that, a consignment store.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1678_zps47fad249.jpg

K BBQ appears to be a restaurant and catering service that will open its doors soon on W. Main Street next to Church's Chicken and across from QT, just west of Downtown.  Check out their Facebook page for more information: https://www.facebook.com/KBBQSC. 

IMG_1655_zpsbfda96f3.jpg

Also, Marco's Pizza will open shop soon in the former Starbucks at Hillcrest.  

IMG_1657_zpscd662697.jpg

IMG_1658_zps15b52ed8.jpg

Finally, the Lee's Famous Recipe building at Hillcrest has been sold...but to who?

Edited by cec0605

• 2 weeks later...

Saw today that Uncle Ray's BBQ (Union Street by the dog park) is closing because they are partners in the new Hub City Chicken & More restaurant on Henry.

Also, Friends & Company (bistro and antiques) has opened on West Main, across the tracks, above Cohen's (HJ article, FB page).  Looks interesting.  I'll have to check it out some time.

• 4 months later...

The Growler Haus is going to start testing an offering of food each night. The food will be brought in and prepared from there. There is a rumor that Sobys is going to be "catering" for lack of a better word the food for Growler Haus. Soby's looks at it as dipping their toes into the water in Spartanburg to see if they'd want to put a restaurant here.

• Like 1