Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

I've never heard of a "poke" restaurant, but I'm excited about getting something unique.

I tried to go to Nacho Taco a few Fridays ago, and it was slammed. In fact, all of downtown was packed. We had to try 3 different restaurants before we were able to find a seat. As annoying as it was to get turned away due to lack of seating (or wait times over an hour), I'm really excited that there are so many people that want to be downtown. It's a good problem to have, and I think more restaurants will help spread out the crowds.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

19 hours ago, drexel said:

My wife and I ate at Nacho Taco tonight in the old Refuel Wine Bar location. Very disappointed and probably will not go back. Broncos and Monterrey's much better.  Great space but......  

To each their own, I guess. I think Nacho Taco is quite good -- much more authentic street-food style tacos than anything you get at Broncos and Monterrey. Not a big fan of those places to begin with, though, so, like I said, to each their own.

A couple of changes in existing spots: Baguette & Co is closing, but HenHouse Brunch will take its place.  The guy running it was previously the executive chef at the Greenville Marriott.  They'll serve dishes like eggs benedict, and fresh biscuits and croissants.  Should open in mid-November.

Also, Lemongrass Kitchen is coming to the dining area of Cafe Around the Corner.  Cafe Around the Corner will focus more on catering and a food trailer.  Lemongrass will serve authentic Vietnamese dishes including pho and bun.  The head chef is Vietnamese and used to run a kitchen in Chinatown in LA.  It should open later this month.

I'm really excited about the Vietnamese place.  Something totally new to Spartanburg.  Looking forward to trying the food there.

There's definitely a difference between "Mexican" food and the style of tex-mex/street food that is popular right now. In the trendy neighborhoods in Charlotte you can't find standard Mexican restaurants like Monterreys. There are only Willy Taco style restaurants.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

William Cribb and Raj Patel plan to open a dinner-only restaurant called "The Kennedy" this summer at 221 E. Kennedy St., the former home of Renato's.  It will feature seasonal dishes with fresh, local ingredients as well as wines, craft beers, and cocktails.  The atmosphere will be modeled after The Speakeasy.  They'll strip the existing building to the core and renovate it in an Art deco style. 

This sounds awesome.  The Cribb's guys are really elevating the Spartanburg dining scene.

H-J article     UBJ article     G-News article     (Take your pick, haha)

No one brought this one up so I'll do the honors as this looks (and probably tastes) like a slam dunk. Francina's Soul Food kitchen has opened next to Seller's seafood on west Henry St. This place reminds me of the old Woodward's Cafe that used to be about a mile away but burned down years ago. I personally have not been yet but several of my friends have. Awesome and "so good its time for a nap" are what I am hearing so far.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20170210/francinas-restaurant-brings-soul-food-to-highland

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 5:23 PM, drexel said:

Recently heard that Becky sold the NuWay. Also, that there will be a goodbye bash later this month. Does anyone have more information? Thanks.   

Recent article in the H-J confirmed the sale.  New owner has worked for Becky and knows the operation and the clientele. 

I'm not a NuWay patron but the place certainly has its fans.  Reading between the lines in the article I doubt they will see any substantive changes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last week, Council approved a rezoning for a new micro-brewery on Chester St (near the Main/Ezell split). This would be the third for Spartanburg (RJ Rockers and Cyclops being the other two).

http://www.cityofspartanburg.org/news/city-council-approves-rezoning-for-new-craft-brewery-along-western-downtown-gateway

• 1 month later...

I think calling Spartanburg a 'foodie' town is a bit of a stretch, but it's definitely improving in leaps in bounds. I didn't realize there were over 20 restaurants in downtown now, but they could be using a generous definition of what makes up downtown.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20170619/foodie-town-spartanburg-enjoys-restaurant-renaissance

• 3 weeks later...

I tried out Pokenori last week, and I have to say I was impressed. I didn't have any expectations since I wasn't sure what "poke" actually was... but now that I've been I love the concept, and I can't wait to go back.

I also noticed the Lemongrass restaurant for the first time, and then started thinking about how many restaurants downtown really has. I had never thought about how there are five asian places until now... 

• Lemongrass = Vietnamese
  • Lime Leaf = Thai
  • Pokenori = Japanese
  • Miyako = Japanese
  • Monsoon = Pan Asian

That's impressive considering the modest size of downtown as a whole.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/2/2006 at 11:38 AM, emo said:

firehouse subs is really good. i eat at the one in anderson all the time. I think that a stadium seat theater would work well in either the old harris teeter location or build it on top of the carmike theater at hillcrest. there's way too much parking lot in that shopping center anyway.

This seems like a great move for The Farmer's Table.  The Kennedy Street spot is too small and not visible from the street.  And, with the real estate office going in adjacent this should be a win-win-win.

• 2 weeks later...

Mezcal was quite full during Jazz on the Square tonight, but I think it's still in the "soft opening" phase, technically.  Here's their website.  Their focus is on tapas and small portion dishes.  (H-J article from a few weeks ago)

If you've been to RJ Rockers in the last several months, you've seen the construction, and they've finally announced what it's for.  The Silo at RJ Rockers will be a restaurant addition/expansion to the brewery in the space sort of behind Cribbs.  The main entrance will be near the silo in the Cribbs parking lot.  Sounds like another great addition!

Edit: UBJ article w/more info on The Silo

Edited by westsider28
Added article

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:05 PM, westsider28 said:

Mezcal was quite full during Jazz on the Square tonight, but I think it's still in the "soft opening" phase, technically.  Here's their website.  Their focus is on tapas and small portion dishes.  (H-J article from a few weeks ago)

If you've been to RJ Rockers in the last several months, you've seen the construction, and they've finally announced what it's for.  The Silo at RJ Rockers will be a restaurant addition/expansion to the brewery in the space sort of behind Cribbs.  The main entrance will be near the silo in the Cribbs parking lot.  Sounds like another great addition!

Edit: UBJ article w/more info on The Silo

Was in Mezcal last night and it is most excellent! Great upscale atmosphere (totally different from Willy Taco) without the upscale prices and great service. The owner likes to welcome everyone but is not overbearing. The food is mostly tapas but there are a few large plates. I can't wait to try the entire menu. Oh and the Margaritas... off the charts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

Was in Mezcal last night and it is most excellent! Great upscale atmosphere (totally different from Willy Taco) without the upscale prices and great service. The owner likes to welcome everyone but is not overbearing. The food is mostly tapas but there are a few large plates. I can't wait to try the entire menu. Oh and the Margaritas... off the charts.

2 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

Glad to know you liked Mexcal and gave it an "excellent" review.  This type of Mexican restaurant ups the ante in Spartanburg's ethnic offerings. 

• 1 month later...

According to the HJ, the owners of Delaneys now own 100% of the restaurant (formerly it was split between them and the Columbia Five Points location).  The modifications they're making sound basically like some internal spruce-ups - but the biggest change is that they're looking at outdoor seating. This is huge because outdoor seating really adds to the appearance of vibrancy in a walkable environment. I'm not sure how they're going to get 10 tables unless they spread out pretty far, but I'm glad they're looking into it.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171107/delaneys-owners-have-big-plans-for-downtown-staple

On 11/8/2017 at 1:18 PM, Spartan said:

According to the HJ, the owners of Delaneys now own 100% of the restaurant (formerly it was split between them and the Columbia Five Points location).  The modifications they're making sound basically like some internal spruce-ups - but the biggest change is that they're looking at outdoor seating. This is huge because outdoor seating really adds to the appearance of vibrancy in a walkable environment. I'm not sure how they're going to get 10 tables unless they spread out pretty far, but I'm glad they're looking into it.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171107/delaneys-owners-have-big-plans-for-downtown-staple

Never been to Delaneys. Not really a pub / sports bar kind of guy, but if they put outdoor seating, they may win me over! At the very least, we'll try it. 

• 4 weeks later...