Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

On November 8, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Spartan said:

According to the HJ, the owners of Delaneys now own 100% of the restaurant (formerly it was split between them and the Columbia Five Points location).  The modifications they're making sound basically like some internal spruce-ups - but the biggest change is that they're looking at outdoor seating. This is huge because outdoor seating really adds to the appearance of vibrancy in a walkable environment. I'm not sure how they're going to get 10 tables unless they spread out pretty far, but I'm glad they're looking into it.

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20171107/delaneys-owners-have-big-plans-for-downtown-staple

They are tearing up the parking spaces in front of Delaney's so I guess that is how they are going to expand their outdoor seating.

1 minute ago, hub-city said:

They are tearing up the parking spaces in front of Delaney's so I guess that is how they are going to expand their outdoor seating.

The H-J report is correct. 

The late owner, and a partner with the Columbia group, was a relative of mine.  The Columbia partners are now out of the picture.  The current owners are Spartanburg based and totally committed to their pub.  I had heard about the outdoor seating and think that's a swell idea. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/burrito-hub-will-bring-modern-mexican-fare-downtown-spartanburgs-dining-scene/

Another Burrito joint coming to Downtown!
Into the old McClellan’s Urban Eatery spot on Magnolia. 

I just know something like this will be successful!  Downtown Spartanburg could use more fast-casual and casual dining places (along with the higher-end spots, of course!)  I've always thought at one point Taco Dog could open a downtown location.

• Like 1

Confirmation that the Peddler is likely to move to downtown. 

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180213/peddler-steak-house-eyes-downtown-spartanburg-space

POKE Brothers, a new POKE place is coming to the West Side!

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180208/poke-bros-restaurant-coming-to-spartanburgs-west-side

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Confirmation that the Peddler is likely to move to downtown. 

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180213/peddler-steak-house-eyes-downtown-spartanburg-space

POKE Brothers, a new POKE place is coming to the West Side!

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180208/poke-bros-restaurant-coming-to-spartanburgs-west-side

When Bill Barnet (former mayor) purchased the former Abby's Grill building last year I knew that something substantial would eventually occupy this space. 

• Like 1

Big downtown restaurant news today:

The Peddler is officially coming to Morgan Square.  They finalized purchase of the former Abby's building.  They expect to open there by fall.

And Monster Subs is opening their 3rd location at 201 Wall St (former Henhouse space).  Their subs are excellent (and huge).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So we checked out The Kennedy last night, what a treat: 

We came late Monday at about 9:20pm, despite the fact that they close at 10, we were welcomed. The restaurant is intimate, designed to feel like a 1930’s/40’s Art Deco space with 50’s elements. A great design, fabulous execution and dimmed lighting give The Kennedy a upscale vibe. We were seated by a very pleasant lady. Here’s a small highlight for you... she accidentally dropped one of the menus... she apologized and went to get a new one, that’s right, she didn’t put a menu that was just on the floor onto the table. I was thoroughly impressed.

The service was awesome, our server was so well versed on every detail of the menu. He explained every dish in great detail and even the signature cocktail menu. Rock star! Shook my hand when he brought the check! Right on!

The food, divine. Unique small plates with some of the most sophisticated flavors. It’s hard to say what we liked the most, it was all absolutely delish and locally sourced.

I applaud the Cribb brothers with a huge win for Spartanburg’s growing food scene, they absolutely nailed it!

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2018 at 4:45 PM, Spartanburg Dude said:

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180212/bar-1884-opens-its-doors-to-customers-monday-night

Bar 1884 is open for business! Can't wait to check it out and I'm glad that they have a different menu than Miakos. As great as Miakos is, it's smart to make this another and different food venue. 

Checked out Bar 1884 Friday night and found the rooftop dining option delightful.  Not to appear plugging this establishment but the service, food, and ambiance was 1st rate.  For what its worth, 1884's sister restaurant Myako's was packed. 

Edited by roads-scholar
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The Flat Spartanburg and Burrito Hub have both recently opened on Magnolia Street (several blocks apart).

http://www.goupstate.com/news/20180627/flat-spartanburg-burrito-hub-open-on-magnolia-street

Magnolia Street is becoming quite the destination for dining!   Anyone have any ideas when the Wild Ace Pizza (the old C&S Bank Building) will  be occupied and by whom?

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I dropped into The Flat Saturday afternoon about 2:30 for a late lunch and hoping there was a TV for the soccer match. We got that and more as this place is everything that somewhere like Wild Wing is not. The Flat is ultra hip and cool (this coming from a 54 year old). It has a granite bar and all kinds of cool art on the walls that makes you stop and look at each individual picture or print or even album cover (Foreigner's Head Games for one). It also has about 7 flat screens strategically placed and inset where they don't stick out at you but provide great coverage.

The food and drink were beyond excellent as the menu is imaginative and somewhat daring. I never thought I would see poutine in the Burg but there it was as an appetizer. The Flat specializes in burgers and the one we split was excellent with a habanero sauce on it. The bar is expansive with lots of stuff you don't normally see in the Burg (Pappy anyone?).

All in all it was a great experience and I will be back soon, probably Wednesday for the next soccer match. As I mentioned above this place is everything Wild Wing is not. WW won't be pushed out of business because of it but I just can't see the younger crowd (or hip older crowd) going to eat average food in the same atmosphere at higher prices. WW could really use a makeover or renovation as I don't even consider it anymore even for wings as TNT has it beat by a mile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparkleman said:

My wife and I dropped into The Flat Saturday afternoon about 2:30 for a late lunch and hoping there was a TV for the soccer match. We got that and more as this place is everything that somewhere like Wild Wing is not. The Flat is ultra hip and cool (this coming from a 54 year old). It has a granite bar and all kinds of cool art on the walls that makes you stop and look at each individual picture or print or even album cover (Foreigner's Head Games for one). It also has about 7 flat screens strategically placed and inset where they don't stick out at you but provide great coverage.

The food and drink were beyond excellent as the menu is imaginative and somewhat daring. I never thought I would see poutine in the Burg but there it was as an appetizer. The Flat specializes in burgers and the one we split was excellent with a habanero sauce on it. The bar is expansive with lots of stuff you don't normally see in the Burg (Pappy anyone?).

All in all it was a great experience and I will be back soon, probably Wednesday for the next soccer match. As I mentioned above this place is everything Wild Wing is not. WW won't be pushed out of business because of it but I just can't see the younger crowd (or hip older crowd) going to eat average food in the same atmosphere at higher prices. WW could really use a makeover or renovation as I don't even consider it anymore even for wings as TNT has it beat by a mile.

My bride and I had dinner at The Flat last Friday evening and our burgers were top notch.  The service was a bit "flat" (no pun intended) but I'd attribute that to the fact the place had only been open for a few days.  We loved the decor and the unique menu choices. 

• 2 weeks later...