Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

Brickhouse Pizzeria and The Upstairs Bar are closing next month.  Their building sold, and they couldn't come to an agreement on rent.  However, the owner is planning a new venture in another location (targeting Spring 2020 opening).

Also, it appears the Domino's Pizza on N Church across from the Marriott is now open.

And interestingly, there was an application for alcohol sales for on-premises consumption at 150 West Henry, which would indicate a possible restaurant coming there.

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Babar-Rhyne had it's grand opening yesterday. 

The former Daily Basics space now an awesome Burger Joint from the owners of LeSpice!
The burgers are absolutely next level and the prices are great. If you love a good burger, check it out. They are also serving breakfast. 

He's got outside seating as well. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 12:54 PM, Spartanburg Dude said:

Babar-Rhyne had it's grand opening yesterday. 

The former Daily Basics space now an awesome Burger Joint from the owners of LeSpice!
The burgers are absolutely next level and the prices are great. If you love a good burger, check it out. They are also serving breakfast. 

He's got outside seating as well. 

I went yesterday for lunch and it was very good and crowded. Unless they really screw it up this place looks like it will stick.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 6:10 PM, Spartanburg Guy said:

The Montgomery Building Facebook page announced that Sidewall Pizza has opened.

Checked it out yesterday! Was very VERY good food and service wise. The layout, not so much. Feels overfilled with tables. No separation. Think school cafeteria with a wine bar. 

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, westsider28 said:

Mellow Mushroom just announced on Facebook that they are permanently closing November 24.  That's a shame.

With this, I think that entire Town Square shopping center will be vacant.  I would love to see it and the adjacent Village Inn redeveloped.

Yes please, tear that whole thing down and put up something nice!!!

• Like 1

Cant say that I will miss them. 20+ dollar pizza that you have to wait for over 30 minutes for when your the only people in the restraunt doesnt make for a great spot to grab food.  I thrid/and fourth the idea that they tear the whole place down and built something better. 

• Like 1

I thought their pizza and service was excellent.  But, of course, I haven't been there in several months.  

Losing The Peddler as an anchor tenant didn't help but the location, parking, and attached motel is not advantageous either. 

Edited by roads-scholar

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, drexel said:

The Standard has closed at Drayton Mills and will be replaced by Dray Bar and Grill.  Reported in today's H-J:  https://www.goupstate.com/news/20191126/dray-bar--grill-to-replace-standard-at-drayton-mills 

The news that The Standard was closing was a bit disturbing until I read the article.  it seems the new operator and his family have good experience and knowledge.  However, the name "Dray Bar and Grill" seems a little odd.  Oh well!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roads-scholar said:

The news that The Standard was closing was a bit disturbing until I read the article.  it seems the new operator and his family have good experience and knowledge.  However, the name "Dray Bar and Grill" seems a little odd.  Oh well!

Yea, The Standard, well didn't set any standards. It was pretty poor from service to inconsistent food. At least that was my experience. Glad to see something else take over the space, which I do love. As for the name, I agree 100%, it's uninspired. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ali Baba, a Greek/Middle-eastern restaurant (kabobs, gyros, etc), will open in the old Bahn Mi space on Wall Street in February.  The owner is new to the restaurant biz, so she's getting help from Nick Dhers of Le Spice (he's everywhere).  We don't have anything like this downtown, so it should fill a good niche.

• Like 1

I heard a couple of things around town this weekend. Nacho Taco (name may change) is moving into the old Mellow Mushroom.

Renato is moving out of downtown in September after his lease is up (there is a bigger story in Goupstate about rents downtown raising). His building owner is raising the rent 17% and Renato doesn't think that's fair. He has enough of a following to survive anywhere in Spartanburg so he will be fine. I vote for a move to the east side where he would be very well received.

Tate Meatworks is booming since the move to the stand alone location on the corner of Avant/ E Main. I was in there on Saturday and it was hopping. Grant says sales are up across the board since the move.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sparkleman said:

I heard a couple of things around town this weekend. Nacho Taco (name may change) is moving into the old Mellow Mushroom.

Renato is moving out of downtown in September after his lease is up (there is a bigger story in Goupstate about rents downtown raising). His building owner is raising the rent 17% and Renato doesn't think that's fair. He has enough of a following to survive anywhere in Spartanburg so he will be fine. I vote for a move to the east side where he would be very well received.

Tate Meatworks is booming since the move to the stand alone location on the corner of Avant/ E Main. I was in there on Saturday and it was hopping. Grant says sales are up across the board since the move.

Good to hear about Tate's.  That location sees a lot of traffic, has good visibility, and the parking seems more than adequate.  

The H-J article regarding the rents was a little disturbing.  The rates being asked may be "fair" but I'm sure not seeing a rush of tenants to fill the empty spots.  Right now it seems more like musical chairs.  You're correct about Renato, he could go anywhere and do well although he's helped anchor Morgan Square,  I'd hate to see him depart.  Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but some of these entrepreneurs need a chance to make some money.  

I sort of have mixed feelings about Nacho Taco relocating.  Their current spot is cozy and has character but can get awfully crowded and noisy at times.  The Mellow Mushroom location has always been popular especially with the outdoor seating area.  

Inman restaurateur Jeff Rigsby (who owns a lot of Bojangles) has purchased the former Hub City Co-op building and plans to open a restaurant there serving gourmet burgers, wings and locally brewed beer.

I'm glad to see the building filled.  It will be interesting to see how this restaurant does.  Kind of a generic concept, but it could be popular.