Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

HJ article about Sophia's moving into the former Le Spice space.  It will be a less fancy, more approachable Italian restaurant.  They plan both sit-down, waiter service in the back, as well as lunch counter ordering and take-out in the front (for downtown workers, for example).  They plan to open in August.  Sounds good.  Look forward to trying it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Saw a beer/wine/liquor application for 121 West Main (former Renato's) in the paper this morning.  Tulip Tree LLC was the applicant, which is registered to Tammie Burrell, who is an office manager at East Coast Underwriters (which is on an upper floor in that same building).  It appears that a restaurant called The Tulip Tree is coming soon.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The former Co-op has finally been purchased, and Rigsby's Smoked Burgers, Wings & Grill is planned to open there by next April.  They already have a location in Greer (looks like solid reviews) and one opening soon in Boiling Springs.  It will be interesting to see what they do with such a large space.  I think this is a "safe" concept that will probably be pretty successful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 12:29 PM, westsider28 said:

Official announcement of The Tulip Tree restaurant going in the old Renato's space on Morgan Square.  It will be a farm-to-table restaurant featuring "creative takes on southern cuisine".  It's supposed to open this fall.

The Tulip Tree is now open.  Also, Mata's Mexican Bar and Grill has opened in the former Mellow Mushroom location.

Unfortunately, The Crepe Factory will close at the end of the year due to the effects of COVID and rising rent.  The owner plans to open a new concept in a new location.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, westsider28 said:

The Tulip Tree is now open.  Also, Mata's Mexican Bar and Grill has opened in the former Mellow Mushroom location.

Unfortunately, The Crepe Factory will close at the end of the year due to the effects of COVID and rising rent.  The owner plans to open a new concept in a new location.

I'm struggling to understand why a downtown landlord would increase rent in today's retail environment - an environment where many retailers are struggling for survival.  Not just in Spartanburg but everywhere.  

I see a lot of FOR RENT signs all over town.  

Having said that, are some retailers using rents as an excuse to move on to other locations?  I don't know.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, roads-scholar said:

I'm struggling to understand why a downtown landlord would increase rent in today's retail environment - an environment where many retailers are struggling for survival.  Not just in Spartanburg but everywhere.  

I see a lot of FOR RENT signs all over town.  

Having said that, are some retailers using rents as an excuse to move on to other locations?  I don't know.  

As a local restaurant owner, I'll put in my 2 cents. I can't speak for downtown rents... but if the landlords are doubling, tripling rents, then yea, that'll hurt. But from what I'm seeing a lot of the restaurants that have shut down or are shutting down... it's less about rent and more about really bad business decisions, lack of marketing, a complete disconnect from the marketplace (what people want) and so on. We opened ours just 3 weeks before covid hit, yes it was hard, yes my rent is high, yes we made it because we ran lean, very conservative with spending and so on. I'm honestly not surprised that restaurants that worked odd hours or very few hours (crepe factory) or restaurants that didn't bother to reopen dine in after it was okayed (Herb & Eats) etc... failed. Covid sucks, A LOT, but you can't keep blaming it on your own bad decisions. I feel for the restaurants who closed... I do, I'd love to see Spartanburg become a foodie destination, and prior to all this, I think we were close to getting there. Here's to 2021 and less of this crap. Hopefully!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

As a local restaurant owner, I'll put in my 2 cents. I can't speak for downtown rents... but if the landlords are doubling, tripling rents, then yea, that'll hurt. But from what I'm seeing a lot of the restaurants that have shut down or are shutting down... it's less about rent and more about really bad business decisions, lack of marketing, a complete disconnect from the marketplace (what people want) and so on. We opened ours just 3 weeks before covid hit, yes it was hard, yes my rent is high, yes we made it because we ran lean, very conservative with spending and so on. I'm honestly not surprised that restaurants that worked odd hours or very few hours (crepe factory) or restaurants that didn't bother to reopen dine in after it was okayed (Herb & Eats) etc... failed. Covid sucks, A LOT, but you can't keep blaming it on your own bad decisions. I feel for the restaurants who closed... I do, I'd love to see Spartanburg become a foodie destination, and prior to all this, I think we were close to getting there. Here's to 2021 and less of this crap. Hopefully!

Thanks for publishing this.  Well said.  Give me a hint on where your place is and I'll check it out.  Maybe I've already been there.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Thank you!  I've been meaning to check you out.  

We're open Wed-Sat 11a-7p, Sun 10:30a-3p. We'll have some odd hours in the coming two weeks with the holidays so follow us on FB or Insta just to be in the loop on hours. ;) Come check us out! 

https://www.facebook.com/burgersnbakery

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 5:40 PM, westsider28 said:

HJ article about Sophia's moving into the former Le Spice space.  It will be a less fancy, more approachable Italian restaurant.  They plan both sit-down, waiter service in the back, as well as lunch counter ordering and take-out in the front (for downtown workers, for example).  They plan to open in August.  Sounds good.  Look forward to trying it.

Sophia's is the real deal especially when sitting outside now that the weather is cooler. The service is outstanding and the menu is very approachable and reasonable in cost. It's everything Renato's was not.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big restaurant update for the greater Spartanburg area.  Coming soon are:

Blue Moon bodega - mentioned in the DT Dev thread; it will be in addition to their current location; will focus on wholesale biz + new bodega concept

Cribbs Kitchen 2nd location - in Moore/Duncan/Reidville (near Publix at Reidville and 290)

Cooper's restaurant - near Reidville and Nazareth Church Rd intersection

Popeye's - 2 locations: westside near Brusters and eastside next to Sonic

Starbucks - next door to westside Popeye's

Dunkin' Donuts - WO Ezell in former Captain D's (hopefully takes pressure off Reidville Rd location which routinely backs up into the road)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just curious why this is but why do Asheville, Greenville, Hendersonville and even Anderson continue to keep adding new breweries and we remain stuck at 4? These are the same 4 for the last 3 years. Those other towns add at least 1-2 per year or more and nothing ever changes here. On top of that some competition would be welcome as for the most part our breweries are horrible.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I have wondered this...I think we have five breweries (counting the two in Boiling Springs).  Is it a case of NIMBYism in the county perhaps?  I suspect Downtown and the City will add more overtime.  

I even believe growing small towns like Landrum, Inman, Woodruff, Duncan/Moore and even Lyman, Reidville and Startex will each add one (the last three because of redevelopment of old buildings/mills and new development going on in the latter three).  Plus one or two in Clifton/Converse when that area develops.  I've heard speculation around at least some of this as well.  Maybe one in Wellford at 29/85 if the Gibbs  retail/restaurant development materializes (across from Upward Star Center)?

Edited by SpartanBorn&Raised