Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

I heard through the grapevine (aka Facebook) that Magnolia Street Pub has been sold, and plans are to reopen it under that same name and a similar vibe.  Anyone else hear more details?  I suspect some serious renovation would be needed after being closed all these years.

Edit: speak of the devil, H-J article (not much more info)

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hub-city said:

The owners of Delaney’s have leased this space and plan a new restaurant concept.

H-J article claims they want to keep the vibe of the Growler Haus, while adding cocktails, wine, and more food (via a larger kitchen).  It should open in 3-4 months. 

Perhaps even more interesting, the article says that Delaney's ownership has formed a restaurant group (Morgan Square Hospitality Group) and plans to open two additional restaurants in the downtown area over the next few years.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, westsider28 said:

I heard through the grapevine (aka Facebook) that Magnolia Street Pub has been sold, and plans are to reopen it under that same name and a similar vibe.  Anyone else hear more details?  I suspect some serious renovation would be needed after being closed all these years.

I discovered that 263, 261 (Magnolia St Pub), and 253 Magnolia Street (Burrito Hub), that were all owned by the previous Mag St Pub owner, were sold to 253 Magnolia, LLC.  That LLC is registered to Matthew Gourley, who owns Brass Monkey in Greenville.  Not sure whether this concept will be similar or not.  Brass Monkey has had some issues with rowdy patrons, so hopefully that can be avoided here. 

And hopefully Burrito Hub remains open.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, westsider28 said:

I discovered that 263, 261 (Magnolia St Pub), and 253 Magnolia Street (Burrito Hub), that were all owned by the previous Mag St Pub owner, were sold to 253 Magnolia, LLC.  That LLC is registered to Matthew Gourley, who owns Brass Monkey in Greenville.  Not sure whether this concept will be similar or not.  Brass Monkey has had some issues with rowdy patrons, so hopefully that can be avoided here. 

And hopefully Burrito Hub remains open.

I heard somewhere, can't remember where, that he's planning to reopen the Magnolia Street Pub as Magnolia Street Pub. Live music venue / bar. 

5 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

I heard somewhere, can't remember where, that he's planning to reopen the Magnolia Street Pub as Magnolia Street Pub. Live music venue / bar. 

Well, yes, I mentioned it in this thread previously:

On 2/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, westsider28 said:

I just didn't know it was this particular person until now.  He certainly has experience in the live music / bar area, but hopefully we don't have the issues his Greenville venture has had.

• Like 1

Per Tim Brayden Sherman:

Crumbl Cookies coming to 117 E Blackstock Rd. (between Massage Envy and Verizon across from Lowe's).

Also (per me), the construction on the Wendy’s next to QT at 101 and 85 is coming along nicely, maybe about 6 weeks from opening. There’s a sign up for Zaxby’s coming soon about 1/4 mile down the road (surprising, as they already have a location about 3 miles away on 290). I work at an office park between both, and it will be nice to have some new options. It’s been pretty slim pickings over there for a long time.

Edited by clemsonfn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Per Tim Brayden Sherman yet again:

“The Habit Burger Grill will be opening it's first Upstate SC location in Spartanburg, according to construction bid records.

The restaurant will be opening at 1409 W. O. Ezell Blvd, in the parking lot of Barnes and Noble/Guitar Center.

The construction bid listed the estimated start date for construction as Feb. 2022, which has possibly been delayed.”

Hard for me to conceptualize how parking and traffic flow is going to not be a problem, unless Barnes and Noble is moving sometime soon. I believe the building is coming up on 30 years old?
A2EB7B30-517F-4BE2-AFAC-D242946610DE.thumb.jpeg.226b8eb2204c4b5e2164a4c66600f16c.jpeg

Edited by clemsonfn

According to a poster of a Facebook group that I’m in:

- Whataburger to the old Walgreens on WO Ezell

- Whataburger to the old Ruby Tuesday on East Main

- Free standing Whataburgers in Boiling Springs and Duncan

- A new donut shop will be built next to Little Caesar’s on Reidville Rd.

No idea on his credibility, but he is a real estate agent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 9:50 AM, clemsonfn said:

According to a poster of a Facebook group that I’m in:

- Whataburger to the old Walgreens on WO Ezell

- Whataburger to the old Ruby Tuesday on East Main

- Free standing Whataburgers in Boiling Springs and Duncan

- A new donut shop will be built next to Little Caesar’s on Reidville Rd.

No idea on his credibility, but he is a real estate agent.

The donut shop may be a Shipley's Do-Nuts location.  Their first in the Upstate (and SC) is in Greenwood (believe it or not) and their expansion will start with Spartanburg according to a recent article.

https://www.bakemag.com/articles/15477-shipley-do-nuts-opens-first-south-carolina-location

Edited by SpartanBorn&Raised
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's too bad B&N is closing, but I'm not surprised. I went in there over the holidays and it had way fewer books and way more gifts (aka: junk) than it used to. Definitely used to go hang out at that Starbucks with friends back in the day when it was the only coffee place in town. (RIP Java Jive)

That said, I would much rather Hub City Books stay a float than a chain store. This burger place is a great example of how the City is great at attracting businesses to reuse these vacant commercial buildings.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Hidden Bean is officially open on the West Side, under Burgers & Bakery (shameless plug). ;)

Stop by for a authentic Cuban coffee, Gourmet hot teas, pastry and a variety of coffee! 

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/local/2022/05/20/burgers-bakery-opens-speakeasy-inspired-coffee-shop-spartanburg-hidden-bean/9792734002/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It is. I thought it was the same El Paso that can be found in different spots of NC, but someone mentioned it was another El Paso named restaurant from GA that will be opening a second location here. 

Wishing them all the best! With Mezcal, Nacho Burrito, Bronco's, Matas, Burrito Hub, and maybe another I'm forgetting, I wish we could be getting some more variety - maybe even a full time mediterranean or Indian restaurant. I haven't tried Ali Baba, but it's open during limited hours. 

3 minutes ago, Santi said:

It is. I thought it was the same El Paso that can be found in different spots of NC, but someone mentioned it was another El Paso named restaurant from GA that will be opening a second location here. 

Wishing them all the best! With Mezcal, Nacho Burrito, Bronco's, Matas, Burrito Hub, and maybe another I'm forgetting, I wish we could be getting some more variety - maybe even a full time mediterranean or Indian restaurant. I haven't tried Ali Baba, but it's open during limited hours. 

We have had several Indian restaurants and the always close down because of lack of business.

Now that you mention it, I remember the one where Willy Taco used to be. Don't remember others. Still, it wasn't so much the specific type, Indian in this case, but a desire for more variety specifically in the downtown area. Not that it's awful; I just couldn't get too much excited about another Mexican option - and I love Mexican!

Still, I think it's a good sign that the building didn't end up vacant for too long. Hoping they succeed. 

• 1 month later...

Saw a social media post by One Spartanburg about an event at Main Street Pub where they're going to show expansion plans for that business.  Palmetto Belk LLC, who owns the whole block, bought the small former law office next door to MSP over a year ago, and I suspected it would be used for a MSP expansion.  That seems to be confirmed now.

msp.thumb.jpg.490e292cedcf7caab6d0e62bd451e5d8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/22/2022 at 1:48 PM, westsider28 said:

Saw a social media post by One Spartanburg about an event at Main Street Pub where they're going to show expansion plans for that business.  Palmetto Belk LLC, who owns the whole block, bought the small former law office next door to MSP over a year ago, and I suspected it would be used for a MSP expansion.  That seems to be confirmed now.

msp.thumb.jpg.490e292cedcf7caab6d0e62bd451e5d8.jpg

Herald-Journal has a story about the expansion.  

https://www.goupstate.com/story/news/2022/08/08/main-street-pub-downtown-spartanburg-restaurant-expands-new-menu/10183875002/

Details include - new built up stage area where bands can perform.  Larger bathrooms.  Larger kitchen.  Increase seating by about 80 percent.  Perhaps sliding or garage doors on the new space so diners outside can hear.  More outdoor seating.  Overall growth from 2500 to 4500 square feet.  

• Like 3