Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

On 1/15/2023 at 9:45 PM, clemsonfn said:

Baskin-Robbins coming to 249 E Blackstock Rd, pending conditional use rezoning approval.

Also, site work has started next to Little Caesar’s on Reidville Rd. (future Shipley’s Donuts). And it looks like Crumbl Cookies on Blackstock is close to opening.

I also understand they are planning a BR for Boiling Springs plus a Starbucks in Cedar Springs (next to Hardee's).

Edited by SpartanBorn&Raised
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

Anybody have a clue why it is taking Dudley's so long to re-open or is it not going to re-open?

I don't see why something else can't open in there and just take Dudley's place as you have a built in customer base, a beautiful fully renovated restaurant, and a great east side location.

I haven't been to Dudley's since pre-pandemic but always enjoyed hanging out there.  My gut tells me the owners will probably cut their losses and shut it down.  The restaurant business is a grind even in good times.  But staffing  and high prices might be the final straw.  Also saw today that Bar 1884 downtown is also closing "temporarily" due to staffing.  

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

Anybody have a clue why it is taking Dudley's so long to re-open or is it not going to re-open?

I don't see why something else can't open in there and just take Dudley's place as you have a built in customer base, a beautiful fully renovated restaurant, and a great east side location.

As a restaurant owner I can tell you that costs and staffing issues are killing all of us. We're still hanging on, but it's becoming so dang hard. There are days when you just want to throw in the towel and quit. For us (my wife and I) it's been such a labor of love, that we can't imagine just throwing in the towel, but one of these days there will be a straw that breaks that back. It's sad really and I feel for all of the restaurant owners out there. 

• Sad 1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:12 PM, Spartanburg Dude said:

As a restaurant owner I can tell you that costs and staffing issues are killing all of us. We're still hanging on, but it's becoming so dang hard. There are days when you just want to throw in the towel and quit. For us (my wife and I) it's been such a labor of love, that we can't imagine just throwing in the towel, but one of these days there will be a straw that breaks that back. It's sad really and I feel for all of the restaurant owners out there. 

Could you tell me again the name of your restaurant and the hours? I haven’t been before and would like to try it.

Wild Wing Café has apparently permanently closed (so says a sign on their door).  I've noticed lately it hasn't been nearly as crowded as in the past. Not a huge loss, IMO. It's a great building that's been pretty recently renovated (exterior at least) in a prime location, so I'd expect the space to get filled relatively quickly (hopefully with a higher-quality restaurant tenant).

3 hours ago, westsider28 said:

Wild Wing Café has apparently permanently closed (so says a sign on their door).  I've noticed lately it hasn't been nearly as crowded as in the past. Not a huge loss, IMO. It's a great building that's been pretty recently renovated (exterior at least) in a prime location, so I'd expect the space to get filled relatively quickly (hopefully with a higher-quality restaurant tenant).

Maybe not a huge loss but what is it about the Wild Wing franchisee in Spartanburg?   Why is it that the Greenville and Anderson and Asheville franchisees remain viable but  the Spartanburg franchisee struggles?   

I don't eat at WW often (or in the last several months) but have never had a bad experience there.  Service was usually a B+ or better.  Food quality was typically an A or better.  However, looking at customer reviews it seems that overall quality had slipped recently.  

I would like to know what the problem is.  There is no reason why this kind of establishment can't thrive at this location.  

Edited by roads-scholar

23 hours ago, NotNotSanti said:

I know this is probably not "new" news to peeps here, but...

ISLA'S ON THE SQUARE coming to the former  GROWLER HAUS location, bringing us:

"COASTAL KITCHEN - COCKTAILS - OYSTER BAR"

That is all.

Isla.jpg

I have heard great things!  Can't wait to check them out when they open.

On 2/2/2023 at 6:11 PM, roads-scholar said:

Maybe not a huge loss but what is it about the Wild Wing franchisee in Spartanburg?   Why is it that the Greenville and Anderson and Asheville franchisees remain viable but  the Spartanburg franchisee struggles?   

I don't eat at WW often (or in the last several months) but have never had a bad experience there.  Service was usually a B+ or better.  Food quality was typically an A or better.  However, looking at customer reviews it seems that overall quality had slipped recently.  

I would like to know what the problem is.  There is no reason why this kind of establishment can't thrive at this location.  

Seemingly Spartanburg has been and probably always will be a fickle market. When my Dad was growing up here in the 50's, the NuWay was the only bar in town. When I was growing up in the 80's there were 2 bars, the NuWay & Clancy's. Ironically within a half mile of each other. Wild Wing lasted about 22 years here. Far longer than I would have expected but when it first got here it was the only game in town. Spartanburg was a dead town back in 2000.

These days there is way more competition and their wings have fallen off mightily. Main St Pub's wings or TNT are kings in the wing market. Plus I am sure some of this is pandemic related. I know I am rambling here but times change and habits don't last like they used to. People used to flock to Hardees but go by at Hillcrest and look at the parking lot. Empty all the time except at breakfast . Chick Fil A has quite simply eaten their lunch. In addition to Wild Wing, we couldn't keep a Hooters open, but Greenville and Anderson remain viable (I use that term loosely).

I pray the time has come for Mast General to make an appearance in the Burg as that would be the perfect building, but I am pretty sure this will remain a dream.

• Like 1

I pray the time has come for Mast General to make an appearance in the Burg as that would be the perfect building, but I am pretty sure this will remain a dream.

Mast went into DT Columbia when it was still pretty dead.  Of course it got a lot of financial incentives from the city.  

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Sparkleman said:

Seemingly Spartanburg has been and probably always will be a fickle market. When my Dad was growing up here in the 50's, the NuWay was the only bar in town. When I was growing up in the 80's there were 2 bars, the NuWay & Clancy's. Ironically within a half mile of each other. Wild Wing lasted about 22 years here. Far longer than I would have expected but when it first got here it was the only game in town. Spartanburg was a dead town back in 2000.

These days there is way more competition and their wings have fallen off mightily. Main St Pub's wings or TNT are kings in the wing market. Plus I am sure some of this is pandemic related. I know I am rambling here but times change and habits don't last like they used to. People used to flock to Hardees but go by at Hillcrest and look at the parking lot. Empty all the time except at breakfast . Chick Fil A has quite simply eaten their lunch. In addition to Wild Wing, we couldn't keep a Hooters open, but Greenville and Anderson remain viable (I use that term loosely).

Agree on your "fickle market" comment but restaurant franchisees, generally speaking, must have a sufficient amount of unencumbered capital, a track record of business success, and no outstanding liens against them.  This franchisee seems as unreliable as a leaky boat.  

No disrespect, but I don't see Mast General Store as a savior or destination retailer, at least in Spartanburg.  I've personally dealt with their management and buyers and discovered they do a great job bamboozling their clientele with  so-called authentic" Made in America merchandise and rustic down home atmosphere.  Its a carefully crafted  ruse.  I'd rather support our local outfitter who is committed to Spartanburg. 

Financial incentives to lure Mast General?  No way.  

The owners of the Mast Stores are personally known to me.  They are not far off franchisers. They are neighbors from small town North Carolina who have a deep sensitivity to carefully curated products and fairness for employees. I can't imagine that "bamboozling" is in their business strategy. The Coopers are genuinely good people. I would hope that the local outfitter and Mast could coexist peacefully, just as Belk's and Aug Smith did for years.

Edited by BorninSparkleCity
word omitted
  • Like 1

If Mast came downtown and put Local Hiker out of business, I for one would not have a problem with that. It's call capitalism. Have any of you actually seen the low level of stock LH carries? It's embarrasing and I refuse to shop there because I can't find anything that I want due to the selection being so limited. 

On 2/1/2023 at 6:12 PM, Spartanburg Guy said:

Could you tell me again the name of your restaurant and the hours? I haven’t been before and would like to try it.

It's Burgers & Bakery and The Hidden Bean 
8881 Warren H Abernathy Hwy (where LeSpice West Side used to be). 
B&B open Wed - Sat 11am to 7pm and Sun 10:30am to 3pm
THB open Wed - Sat 9am to 7pm and Sun 9am to 3pm

Stop in say hi sometime! :)

• Like 1

Been watching the transformation of the former God's Favor restaurant... and now we know.... Zen Ramen Sushi Burrito. They have an Anderson and Greenville Location. Checked out the menu. Looks good. Lot's of Ramen and Poke options including Burritos and Bowls. A Ramen Poke place on the East Side is A-OK in my book! 

Edited by Spartanburg Dude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Milltown Coffee Co. Coming soon to Webber Square (2601 E. Main Street, Ste 1). 
Gourmet, Locally Roasted Coffee. Gourmet Loose Leaf Teas, Awesome Drink Concoctions, Beer & Wine and Nosh! 

Indoor and private outdoor patio! 

Early Spring Opening is anticipated. 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090852912469

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spartanburg Dude said:

Milltown Coffee Co. Coming soon to Webber Square (2601 E. Main Street, Ste 1). 
Gourmet, Locally Roasted Coffee. Gourmet Loose Leaf Teas, Awesome Drink Concoctions, Beer & Wine and Nosh! 

Indoor and private outdoor patio! 

Early Spring Opening is anticipated. 

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090852912469

Now that you posted this here, I may or may not have told a few people about it... 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...