London, Ontario, Canada Pictures

BlackFlag

Some pictures I took of downtown London several weeks ago. If it looks quiet, it was- because the temperature was -20 that day, so I was the one of the only people foolish enough to be outside.

London: 330,000 in city, and approx. 450,000 metro. Located roughly midway between Detroit and Toronto.

Hyperlinks may not work where I am hosted, so here is the website just incase:

Skyline Photos

bell2.jpg

CityPlace Project (U/C) (twin 25s towers)

cityplace1.jpg

cityplace3.jpg

cityplacetowera.jpg

Colborne Centre (70's style boxes) (Two 26s towers, and one 25s)

colbornecentre3.jpg

Downtown from afar (atop a 6 level parkade)

skyline6.jpg

skyline8.jpg

The Delta

delta2.jpg

Downtown

downtown15.jpg

downtown14.jpg

downtown8.jpg

downtown9.jpg

The East

downtowneast2.jpg

downtowneast3.jpg

City Centre

dundasking1.jpg

dundasking3.jpg

JLC- recently completed sports complex; 10,000-12,000 capacity

jlc2.jpg

The Tallest- One London Place (112m)

onelondonplace1.jpg

onelondonplace3.jpg

Streetlevel

richmondnorth1.jpg

richmondst1.jpg

richmondst2.jpg

Talbot Centre twins (taken from a slumy looking area)

talbotcentre1.jpg

talbotcentre4.jpg

talbotdufferin.jpg

More City Centre (TD).

Tower A

tdtowera.jpg

Tower B (apporx. 92m)

tdtowerb.jpg

tdtowers1.jpg

Finally, Victoria Park

victoriapark1.jpg

victoriapark2.jpg

victoriapark4.jpg

victoriapark1.jpg

victoriapark5.jpg

victoriapark6.jpg

Next time I'll try to get some more varied pics...was just to cold to spend time outside.

Hope these work- if not, just visit www.skylinephotos.50megs.com

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love small cities, though I'm not sure that I'd consider 330,000 small, is that an amalgamated population?

I think I saw something on television recently about the Sports Centre. Did the recycle the facades of some older buildings into the Sports Centre. I wish I could remember what I was watching, something about virtual reality. Did they set up some VR centre so people could see what the building would look like?

Thanks for the welcome- its great to be here. I'm really enjoying this Forum....is it relatively new?

I figured London wasn't on many peoples radar from the US. Hell, it even gets significantly ignored here in Canada (Not to perpetuate the oxymoron, but London is Canada's 'biggest smallest city').

I love small cities, though I'm not sure that I'd consider 330,000 small, is that an amalgamated population?

I think I saw something on television recently about the Sports Centre. Did the recycle the facades of some older buildings into the Sports Centre. I wish I could remember what I was watching, something about virtual reality. Did they set up some VR centre so people could see what the building would look like?

Nope, 330,000 is the city proper, and the last annexation was many years ago, and it wasn't a very significant amount of land- and additionally, it was mostly farm land (barely changed the pop.).

The jump from 330,000 to 450,000 occurs primarily because a neighbor city, St. Thomas, which has around 30-40,000 (I think). Other than that, I really don't see much else around the city- there is a complete lack of suburbs, mainly because the city of London is physically huge- the city limits extend far beyond any built up areas.

The city has been a density lovers nightmare for years, as it has been sprawling, but recently many new initiatives have been taken to change this. As you can see from the pics (and others I will try to post later), there are several cranes denoting large projects going up downtown...its really starting to turn around.

Additionally, the downtown is now more vibrant. The JLC is just one new reason for this, as is a new central library and the Covent Gardens.

You are right Cotuit, the rear of the JLC looks like a typical street level downtown boutique strip, I believe the facades were recycled....its quite strange actually, makes it kinda hard to find the JLC if you don't know what to look for.

As for the VR centre, I'm not sure...I think I remember the website had a camera view that you could manipulate to explore the inside during construction- next door is the Covent Gardens, where the local television station is based (or has a kiosk), therefore they may have set up a VR centre...sounds like something the NewPL would do in thier attempt to be interactive.

Archived