The Annie Lytle Elementary School/Public School Number Four

timkin

Demoltion  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Its a named historic landmark and should be saved no matter the cost?

• Very definitely no matter the cost
    • If there is a practical way
    • There is no way
    • Have no position
  2. 2. Does the Idea of a Community Center sound like a good Idea for the Building if Restored?

• Sure
    • maybe
    • no
    • Have no position

I would like to hear view points and suggestions as to a reuse for this building should it NOT get the wrecking ball , and be turned into a retirement facility. Time is running out and a decision on its destiny will be made very soon. Thanks for reading...

Timkin :thumbsup:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is a community center exactly...sounds like a poor district food stamp handout place :( . I voted maybe on that, and then the most important thing going in around there is the new interchange, and so if that requires wrecking the building, then so be it because the interchange is def. a priority. Is that building really that stunning anyway, it's in an architectural style (neo-classical/georgian?) that even modern developers can imitate and do.

What is a community center exactly...sounds like a poor district food stamp handout place :( . I voted maybe on that, and then the most important thing going in around there is the new interchange, and so if that requires wrecking the building, then so be it because the interchange is def. a priority. Is that building really that stunning anyway, it's in an architectural style (neo-classical/georgian?) that even modern developers can imitate and do.

The interchange is going in as we speak and definitely closer than ever before. I do not discount the need for the expressway. but the impending demolition request is sought by a developer who is wanting to place a retirement facility on the site where the building is now. Part of naming a historic landmark is protection of it from such demolitions. If it were a question of the expressway easement, I doubt seriously there would be a building there now. Stunning? To some, YES. It has detail inside and out, that shines through decades of decay. And theres no question that it probably can be torn down and some modern facility with a similar footprint put there. But if that is what to do then all Historic Landmarks are endangered. With regard to the Community center, I wasnt speaking of some food stamp handout place, but rather a center that does attract people in some aspect. It is within walking distance of another Historical area, that it once, adjoined which was Riverside Park, and 5 points. I Appreciate your input. Thank you for participating . :)

I voted 'yes' for a community center and have suggested it myself in the past.

By a community Center, I mean the 'indoor' portion of a city park. There would be rooms for classes such as Yoga, aerobics, pottery, photography, senior citizen stuff, teenage interests, etc. The Auditorium could become a gym/basketball court.

The reason I don't think lofts will work is the noise from the highway would prevent anyone from investing that kind of money. No one would be trying to sleep in a Community Center, so the 'hum' of traffic from the highway would not be that disturbing.

Lastly, the school already adjoins a city, Riverside Park, so a Community Center would be a natural extention, dispite the highway inbetween. [the highway is elevated, so you can walk between the two easily as I remember]

I posted the following in a different thread:

I don't know if anyone has seen it, but Foundation Corporate Holdings IV's appeal of HPC's demolition denial is being heard by the Land Use and Zoning Committee at the Tuesday 7 Feb. meeting:

52. 2006-24

RESO-Q Concerning the Appeal of Final Order of the Jax Historic Preservation Comm denying application for COA-05-792 filed by Foundation Holding IV, Inc., seeking demolition of the Annie Lytle School property at 1011 Gilmore St, Pursuant to Sec 307.204, Ord Code; Adopting recommended findings & conclusions. (Dist 9-Fullwood) (Scheffer) (LUZ) (2 Ltrs of Opposition on File)

LUZ PH - 02/07/06 at 4:15 P.M.

1. 1/10/2006 CO Introduced: LUZ

1/18/2006 LUZ Read 2nd & Rerefer

2. 1/24/2006 CO Read 2nd & Rereferred; LUZ

I posted the following in a different thread:

Appreciate the input and vote. Was speaking with a person today who is with the Historic preservation section of the Mayors office. He indicated what will really help to stop this demolition is to appear at the city council meeting ( large numbers of people, that is.) I really hope there will be a tremendous turnout, because this building really doesnt deserve that fate. That is the best hope the Building has at this point. I thought the Community center was a great idea myself, although I think if Lofts were priced right, theyd likely sell. Condos I doubt. too much money. Wish I had the money to buy it . Thanks again for the input and vote.

:D timkin

Is there anyway to make the school some kind of museum (historical or otherwise) I don't know if anyone's been to the MOSH lately, but it seems to be lacking in comparison to larger cities. Maybe a nice (and large) natural history museum.

Or some kind of office space? Tearing it down doesn't seem to be in the cards, but I just can't see anyone wanting to live there, even at a substantially reduced price.

Is there anyway to make the school some kind of museum (historical or otherwise) I don't know if anyone's been to the MOSH lately, but it seems to be lacking in comparison to larger cities. Maybe a nice (and large) natural history museum.

Or some kind of office space? Tearing it down doesn't seem to be in the cards, but I just can't see anyone wanting to live there, even at a substantially reduced price.

Thanks for the input, Captain. Hmmm.. The National Trust for Historic Preservation Interveined huh? hehe I wonder who made them aware of the situation? ( no comment here :whistling: ) I like both ideas. The retirement facility thing just doesnt fit. I like the Museum Idea , alot actually. The School needs to remain just as it was intended origonally for... for public service in some aspect.

I would imagine by now, the owners and developers arent very happy with me. I have written ANYONE I thought would listen and take action on this matter.I feel it would be important, to get it registed on the National Register of Historic Places. I will be at the Council meeting 7 Feb at 4:15 pm. would request that ANYONE who has even a remote interest to see this place remain, BE THERE and speak up. Because I dont think either the owner OR developer are interested in saving it, they say many times it has been attempted. I dont know what amount constitutes many times, but only once in the last 35 years have I personally seen any advertisement on it regarding Condo development and that was in 2000. And I guess in just 6 short years it became unfeasible and impractical to save,even though its been vacant and hasnt event been attempted anything done to it other than board it up and paint over the grafitti that vandals paint on it. Im sure over that period of time, they probably have put out enough money to advertise several hundred thousand times over to lease it for offices. Yet ive never seen it offered for lease ever in my lifetime, and Im 42. Its sad that Historic Landmarks like this one fall to a wrecking ball , in the name of the almighty dollar all the time. Jacksonville has lost too many already. This needs to stop.

A little history for you. This current structure , built in 1917 replaced the Origonal Public School Four on the same site. that building was made of wood, added on to a few times. Eventually as the population grew , and following the Fire of 1901 that destroyed the majority of downtown Jacksonville, 15 new schools were built, including this one. I guess it was considered a good idea to build the current facility of more durable and fire-resistant materials. Sure enough this school has survived at least one fire that Im aware of. And structurally speaking, Id dare say it could sit there another hundred years, provided a wrecking ball doesnt take it out, and be just as sound. The Auditorium area is in the worst shape, needing an entire Roof and ceiling replacement , as the origonal has collapsed to the floor.

I thank you for your input and vote. much appreciated. Hope to see you at the City Council meeting on 7 Feb.

:blink: timkin

Thanks for the input, Captain. Hmmm.. The National Trust for Historic Preservation Interveined huh? hehe I wonder who made them aware of the situation? ( no comment here :whistling: ) I like both ideas. The retirement facility thing just doesnt fit. I like the Museum Idea , alot actually. The School needs to remain just as it was intended origonally for... for public service in some aspect.

I would imagine by now, the owners and developers arent very happy with me. I have written ANYONE I thought would listen and take action on this matter.I feel it would be important, to get it registed on the National Register of Historic Places. I will be at the Council meeting 7 Feb at 4:15 pm. would request that ANYONE who has even a remote interest to see this place remain, BE THERE and speak up. Because I dont think either the owner OR developer are interested in saving it, they say many times it has been attempted. I dont know what amount constitutes many times, but only once in the last 35 years have I personally seen any advertisement on it regarding Condo development and that was in 2000. And I guess in just 6 short years it became unfeasible and impractical to save,even though its been vacant and hasnt event been attempted anything done to it other than board it up and paint over the grafitti that vandals paint on it. Im sure over that period of time, they probably have put out enough money to advertise several hundred thousand times over to lease it for offices. Yet ive never seen it offered for lease ever in my lifetime, and Im 42. Its sad that Historic Landmarks like this one fall to a wrecking ball , in the name of the almighty dollar all the time. Jacksonville has lost too many already. This needs to stop.

A little history for you. This current structure , built in 1917 replaced the Origonal Public School Four on the same site. that building was made of wood, added on to a few times. Eventually as the population grew , and following the Fire of 1901 that destroyed the majority of downtown Jacksonville, 15 new schools were built, including this one. I guess it was considered a good idea to build the current facility of more durable and fire-resistant materials. Sure enough this school has survived at least one fire that Im aware of. And structurally speaking, Id dare say it could sit there another hundred years, provided a wrecking ball doesnt take it out, and be just as sound. The Auditorium area is in the worst shape, needing an entire Roof and ceiling replacement , as the origonal has collapsed to the floor.

I thank you for your input and vote. much appreciated. Hope to see you at the City Council meeting on 7 Feb.

:blink: timkin

Per the findings of LUZ/Partial Council meeting of 7 February, Demolition (with provision of saving the FACAD --Front wall, capital,pillars , Public School Number Four Stones,etc if it is feasible)was GRANTED to the developer . Recommendation to the full council will be presented at a full council session on 14 February.

That is the latest, and unfortunately appears to be the demise of this building.

:( Timkin

It disheartens me that historical landmarks and old buildings are demolished with no thought for their significance. Here's to allowing another building to be demolished, and for not saying "No" to sporadic development. :alc: *sarcasm*

If you live in St. Johns county, you'll know why I'm not happy with the crazy development fever...

I hope their is an appeal, but it doesnt look like the school will be there much longer at this rate.

• 2 years later...

And in April of 2008 the School Building still stands and so does plans for the 55 and up Facility. Only now it appears that the School House will be preserved as part of a larger Structure.

A cleanup effort to the School Property is in progress.

• 2 years later...

Hello, Im only 16 years old & a residents of jacksonville Fl. I might be young but I believe Annie Lytle Elementary School (School Four) Should be saved, not because im a kid & i wanna go inside it to see "ghost" that arnt there. Its a Historic landmark that has been here longer than most of any generation besides the Great Grandparents. It shouldnt be torn down to be replaced with buildings we see everyday, same design, & nothing unique about it. School Four is a unique design! Its special to this city because its from the past! If its torn down & replaced, then why teach us kids about history & historic events,place.& all? Ive been told that historic landmarks are protected from being destoryed. If that is a lie then what will happen to the next historic landmarks that people wanna get ride of to put something "useful" in its place? or the next, or the next? If this one goes then it will only be the beginning of historic landmarks disappearing from our country. So I say N.O to getting ride of school four. huh.gif

Archived