Roanoke Photo of the Day

weill

Thats whats known in the industry (retail, and associated services) as a "soft opening." A chance to shake out the bugs before all hell breaks loose on Grand Opening day.

And yes on the TJ Maxx thing, although it took forever to nail that down. First it was Kohl's, then Kroger was going to switch sides at the mall, then it was going to be carved into 4 retail spaces (this one was exactly one week before the TJ Maxx rumor, and both were from the management at Tanglewood), and finally - the real answer of TJ Maxx.

Yet still unrented space abounds inside, and lets not forget the massive building that is "The Sleep Zone" tucked way back there.. dead empty.

The Slate Hill project is alleged to be a "high-end, upscale retail area" with the promise of stores, a hotel, restaurants.. the whole 9. All they are constructing are the access points, roads, and the concrete pads for the nonexistant lease-holders.

It's called Spec Building. It's dangerous, it backfires all too easily, but if it works - the payoff is huge.

The Sleep Zone is the building right behind Red China and the movie theatre. Tucked wayyy in the back, but right next to 220.

What really kills me is the back wall of the food court, that used to be outlets - and you can still see where the counters were - but they tried to cover it with frescos.

I heard something about the Slate Hill project now that i think of it, I think they wanted to put a HOSPITAL there. Also did I hear about the Atlanta Bread Compant wanting to build something here in Roanoke. Im guessing that the area around Prominade Park at North Cross School is becoming a Affluent shopping area, correct?

Atlanta bread is going directly across from Prominade where the big Finks is now. Atl B Co. 5 Brothers Burgers, and a couple of others - John Norman I think is one..

A hospital on Slate Hill? Sounds like a bad movie starring Vincent Price to me... lol

First Ive heard about that though, but no - no such public benefit will come of Slate Hill.

Well im glad we have the possibilty of getting Atl B Co. Everytime I go to the Atlanta Airport I have to eat at one of the lounges. I dont see how people can afford stuff from Finks and John Norman. Do you know how many house/apartments/townhouses/condos that Slate Hill will have? How about a finish date?

Thats whats known in the industry (retail, and associated services) as a "soft opening." A chance to shake out the bugs before all hell breaks loose on Grand Opening day.

And yes on the TJ Maxx thing, although it took forever to nail that down. First it was Kohl's, then Kroger was going to switch sides at the mall, then it was going to be carved into 4 retail spaces (this one was exactly one week before the TJ Maxx rumor, and both were from the management at Tanglewood), and finally - the real answer of TJ Maxx.

Yet still unrented space abounds inside, and lets not forget the massive building that is "The Sleep Zone" tucked way back there.. dead empty.

Expect an article on A.C. Moore next week in Retail Therapy. :)

I really thought it was going to be Kohl's. Out of all the rumors floating about, that was the most plausible. My understanding is that the anchor stores in Tanglewood Mall have veto power and blocked Kohl's from coming to the mall. There is a definite lack of desirable available retail sites in town, and if the anchors at Tanglewood did block Kohl

tanglewood is depressing, i mean there is a whole wall that used to be stores all boarded up.

I lost interest in Tanglewood when they closed up the 'French Quarter' section. A recent visit (my first in about 7-8 years) didn't do anything to reverse that loss of interest.

I lost interest in Tanglewood when they closed up the 'French Quarter' section. A recent visit (my first in about 7-8 years) didn't do anything to reverse that loss of interest.
Man, you haven't been there in a while ;)

well thanks for explaing steven, i saw your article today in the IO about the shoes, nice
There's more about the shoes online. We coudn't fit everything in the print version due to an last-minute ad change.