Would Charlotte support Modern Prefab Housing?

fulcrumsf

There was once a developer here called Summit that used modular housing that looked like a traditional house once completed. The process was they would build a foundation, then the sections would be brought in and bolted together. The only thing built on site was the roof, mustly by pre-designed trusses. They built a number of developments here in CLT in the early 80s which would put the houses mostly between CLT 4 and I-485, however I think they they have some houses over off Selwyn. (before it got expensive there)

There is a modular home company located in Denver, NC (west side of Lake Norman). They have a website where you can see the process. I believe they may have placed a few homes in NoDa, but I am not completely sure about that. In any case, it is a much less expensive way to build a house than by traditional methods, and as can be seen in that demonstration could go anywhere in CLT. (especially in close in neighborhoods) I would also say there is probably better quality control over what gets put in the house as well. If you don't mind a short drive up Hwy 16 to their HQ, they have a number of modular homes at their HQ where you can see what they look like. They might possibly be able to design something more modern looking.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a modular home company located in Denver, NC (west side of Lake Norman). They have a website where you can see the process. I believe they may have placed a few homes in NoDa, but I am not completely sure about that. In any case, it is a much less expensive way to build a house than by traditional methods, and as can be seen in that demonstration could go anywhere in CLT. (especially in close in neighborhoods) I would also say there is probably better quality control over what gets put in the house as well. If you don't mind a short drive up Hwy 16 to their HQ, they have a number of modular homes at their HQ where you can see what they look like. They might possibly be able to design something more modern looking.

This is the company who did my current home FYI. It is good quality and the same thing you would find if you were to stick build it on-site.

Archived