spotlights on the rencen

haydenth

Looking out my windows towards downtown today (I live in midtown - moved in yesterday), I noticed they were testing spotlights on top of each of the individual towers of the Ren Cen (except the tallest middle one). Really bright and looked really damn cool. I can't wait until next weekend, I'm going to get some really great pictures of the skyline all lit up.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will never light that thing. If they wont do it for Super Bowl then they never will. Ive said it once and ill say it again, if the top of that thing was ever lit it would instantly become the focal point of the entire skyline at night. Its too nice of a design to just sit there dark at night.

One of the nicest designs in the state, and probably the nicest Post Modern design in the city, or in the country in the year that it was built, and it sits there unlit. I can't believe it. Even from a marketing standpoint it would pay (literally) to make your building more visible. Sometimes, it's little things like that that pushes a potential tenant over the tipping point to move their offices to a particular location.

It would be different if this was individually owner by a single person, or small group, but this tower is owned by one of the largest real estate companies in the country. They could more than afford the lighting.

One of the nicest designs in the state, and probably the nicest Post Modern design in the city, or in the country in the year that it was built, and it sits there unlit.

It would be different if this was individually owner by a single person, or small group, but this tower is owned by one of the largest real estate companies in the country. They could more than afford the lighting.

The building is actually modernist if I'm not mistaken. You may not want to tick off some of the post modernist fans that deeply reject it and have completely opposing principles, LOL.

I was surpised, then not surprised about the lighting. Hines needs to light up a few other buildings downtown a bit brighter.

The RenCen was lit up like crazy when I was down there last Thursday. We drove past it and nearly every floor had its lights on, it was amazing.

WOW. I thought the Ren Cen just had spotlights on it to light up the sky and itself. Its actually projecting colors and things onto the buildings lining Jefferson. I will defintiely be getting pictures of that while im down there tonite. Looks like Comerica may be lit afterall.

Yeah, the colors on my apartment walls were changing - one of the spot lights occasionally shines directly into my window. Makes a cool effect inside my apartment.

I noticed they also turned on some new spotlights over at Cobo, turned towards the rencen.

The skyline looks great. I wish I had a really sensitive digital camera to get good pictures.

It was nice to see all the spotlights downtown last night. The Renaissance Center wasn't any too lit up though. The logo wasn't lit, and most of the floors were dark. The only thing that was on was the two spotlights on the smaller towers. It was 3:00am though, so that maybe had something to do with it.

The building is actually modernist if I'm not mistaken. You may not want to tick off some of the post modernist fans that deeply reject it and have completely opposing principles, LOL.

I was surpised, then not surprised about the lighting. Hines needs to light up a few other buildings downtown a bit brighter.

The RenCen was lit up like crazy when I was down there last Thursday. We drove past it and nearly every floor had its lights on, it was amazing.

Nope, it's most definitely a Post-Modern design as it recalls classic, gothic elements such as the entrances, and especially the decorative top with gothic-style cornices. PoMo is inspired by classical elements of the past, right? Modernist designs don't pull much, if at all, from the past, and are usually more inspired by geometric shapes, and are usually much more plain and boxy. (i.e. RenCen Towers 100-600)

I don't know; I think it looks kind of tacky to outline a skyline (i.e. Dallas) lol

I totally agree... its very cheap looking especially when one of the lights inevitably goes out. Now, if you want to use some fiber optic technology, I'm all ears.

Personally, I like simple old-time lighting. And by that I mean simply lighting prominent crowns, roofs, and setbacks, and then the historic-neon signs.

The only way you can get away with outlining buildings is if they are modern, geometrically-inspired towers. And even that's iffy, IMO. A historic skylines like Detroit would look very tacky outlined in lights.

Archived