Arts oriented space envisioned for site next to Riverplace

vicupstate

Building in West End being looked at for arts-centered development

This is a great idea and an ideal location for something like this. I hope this comes about. Charleston has been so successful in its revitialization in no small part due to the arts (Spoleto, just for starters). This would not only help with redevelopment of the West End, it would help in creating a better environment to build the 'creative class', that too often avoids the area as a permanent place to live.

I would certainly like to contribute toward making this a reality.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hat's off to Tommy Wyche, Erwin Maddrey, Genevieve Sakas, and the others that have the vision and have taken the initiative to get the ball rolling on this. I'm certain that, as a community, we can come up with some creative ways to subsidize the space and attract talented people to create and showcase their work. This could potentially be another one of those draws that brings people from far away into Downtown Greenville. It could definitely be an attractive piece of the overall downtown package at the very least.

I don't have one on hand, but it is the dark building across River Street from the Innovate building. There is a large parking lot next to it which will eventually become phase III of RiverPlace. Behind the building is the Academy Street bridge, and on the other side of that will soon rise the Camperdown Condominiums. Hope this helps a little at least. :thumbsup:

My hat's off to Tommy Wyche, Erwin Maddrey, Genevieve Sakas, and the others that have the vision and have taken the initiative to get the ball rolling on this. I'm certain that, as a community, we can come up with some creative ways to subsidize the space and attract talented people to create and showcase their work. This could potentially be another one of those draws that brings people from far away into Downtown Greenville. It could definitely be an attractive piece of the overall downtown package at the very least.

I love this idea of this, but if possible I think we should avoid subsidizing projects of this sort with public money. The article mentioned the idea of having some commercial space in the project to help endow the rest of the project, I think that is a better idea than public susidizing. That source of revenue should be a last resort.

Keep in mind that my use of "subsidize" here doesn't necessarily mean that it would be with tax payer or public money. I thought the same thing at first and then, as I re-read the article, I came to realize that they were using the term "subsidize" as a generality, so I took my cue on the use of the word from the article. Any subsidy can come from other sources: retail space in the same building, as the article mentioned; public fund raising; a small admission fee; endowments of various kinds for various kinds of visual art; etc.

Here are a few pictures of the building as it appears today...

This angle is looking across the River Street bridge over the Reedy River.

IMGA0268.jpg

This angle is also from the River Street bridge, but this time you can see the Academy Street bridge behind the building. Also notice the height of the back portion of the structure.

IMGA0272.jpg

This angle is from Reedy View Drive, and clearly shows the building's relation to RiverPlace phases one and two. You can also see the Innovate building (red brick) across the street.

IMGA0265.jpg

This angle is from the corner of the Innovate building, looking down River Street. To the right is RiverPlace phases one and two, to the left of the street will be RiverPlace phase three (the "massive" mixed-use tower development). The downtown skyline is just off the right edge of the shot.

IMGA0276.jpg

Here's the skyline as seen from the same angle as the last picture. Notice the RiverPlace construction site in the foreground. This view will be eliminated in another year or two. :thumbsup:

IMGA0284.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived