The Stone Pony | NJ Off-Topic Discussion

Cotuit

NJ-OffTopic-StonePony.jpg

This is a place where you can feel free to discuss things that don't specifically have to do with the urban issues we focus on here at UP. Also new members who feel they don't really have something specific to contribute can introduce themselves here, or ask questions if they don't feel like they have enough to start a new thread about.

As always though, please feel free to start new topical threads too.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few things on my mind that are off topic/domestic and ought to spur up some discussion and/or new topics:

Cotuit: Love that Stone Pony pic btw :D

First, id hope governor corzine actually stays in office throughout his entire term without any problems or job offerings! How about the NJDOT running out of money by this summer, are we going to see as high as a 15 cent gas increase in the near future if not tomorrow? Minimum wage will be $7.15 sometime later this year (its currently $6.15 now) and while this will help the 75,000 NJ residents who work minimum wage for a living, with gas prices going up and cost of living going up, will this just later call for another minimum wage hike again in another decade or so? Safe corridors, are they there for revenue or to really deter out of control driving, why not make every road a safe corridor if you really want to make a difference (no, dont do that haha!). Is it likely that we wont see a mall for a while now that urban renewal projects are picking up steam statewide? Property tax relief, will it ever come or are we going to continue to hear bullcrap promises? My personal idea, how about we consolidate municiaplity services and municipalities all into one county to save taxpayers money. Everything could be centralized/set up stragetically around the county which could very well bring property tax relief, why hasent nobody brought that idea up (besides Steve Lonegon

Edited by Jerseyman4

The beef I have with Corzine right now is that by jumping to the new job offer as governor he left NJ with less Congressional representation. His Senate seat was filled by Menendez (which I think was the right thing to do) but now Menendez's House seat will sit vacant until after the November 06 election. The 13th district will have no representation in the House. I think people in Hudson County should make bumper stickers saying "Taxation Without Representation" (i.e. DC plate).

Edited by lammius

South Jersey native here, grew up in Willingboro, NJ's Levittown. Moved to Collingswood in 1999, graduated CHS Class of '03. The following year I moved away, I miss it and want to go back really bad but can't :( Still keeping up on the local ongoings though.

Well at least this sub-forum will allow u to be back here in spirit! Where in the southeast are you? Are you in college somewhere now? Military?

College, in Greensboro NC. Long story but I'm basically stuck here now cause I don't have the money to go out-of-state.

Ah, the Gate City, know it very well.

I once lived an hour and half to the southeast in Pinehurst, Moore County and made a brief stunt in Asheboro for a summer. Everytime i pass through the city, i always look forward to the new road construction in Greensboro since thats all ive ever seen there since i was little :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I know there's a lot more happenning in Jersey than the traffic in here would suggest. I'm relying on all ya all in state to post info on things. Get cracking! The more stuff you post on, the more traffic will be driven here. Don't be shy to post. Any issues with a post, I can edit them to fix them up. :thumbsup:

Hey guys, I know there's a lot more happenning in Jersey than the traffic in here would suggest. I'm relying on all ya all in state to post info on things. Get cracking! The more stuff you post on, the more traffic will be driven here. Don't be shy to post. Any issues with a post, I can edit them to fix them up. :thumbsup:

Im confident the NJ forum will pick up overtime. Ive been thinking about starting a NJ profile page as ive been looking at the Richmond, Roanoke, Charleston(SC) profiles.

Ill come up with more posts if i find some things interested. Ill check in with the newspapers statewide that participate with Gannett.

Im confident the NJ forum will pick up overtime. Ive been thinking about starting a NJ profile page as ive been looking at the Richmond, Roanoke, Charleston(SC) profiles.

I can ask that you be made an editor if you would like to do that. There is a special editors section that allows a space to build profiles and other special threads. There's a limited amount of time during which a member can edit his/her posts, the Editor status removes that restriction.

I can ask that you be made an editor if you would like to do that. There is a special editors section that allows a space to build profiles and other special threads. There's a limited amount of time during which a member can edit his/her posts, the Editor status removes that restriction.

In progress of making one the state profile but sure, ill be an editor :D

Edited by Jerseyman4

There's a lot I want to talk about on here. There's so many great yet poorly known towns, cities and yes suburbs in NJ, especially South Jersey which is what I know best. I've been very busy lately but I'll eventually get around to making some more threads.

There's a lot I want to talk about on here. There's so many great yet poorly known towns, cities and yes suburbs in NJ, especially South Jersey which is what I know best. I've been very busy lately but I'll eventually get around to making some more threads.

Deadmaker, please do continue to post on issues concerning South Jersey. I live in Central Jersey and work mostly in North Jersey. Most of my posts address those areas. I love visiting South Jersey and am eager to learn more about the area! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so here's something to do:

Post your favorite Jersey food and the best restaurant to get it!

Now I grew up in Collingswood, NJ right next to the city of Camden. South Jersey derives many of its specialites from Philly, but one unique contribution is the Tarantini Panzarotti, which originated in Camden and can be found in many South Jersey pizza shops and Italian restaurants. It's basically a rolled-up pizza dough with the cheese and sauce inside and then deep-fried.

Francos-Panzarotti-Whole.jpg

With Mushrooms:

Francos-Panzarotti2.jpg

It came to East Camden in 1963 with Pauline Tarantini who set up the famous shop that is still there to this day. The most famous place to get a Panzarotti however is probably Franco's in Westmont.

Francos-Sign.jpgFrancos-Bldg.jpg

Now they make a damn good panzarotti but don't belive it when they say they invented it ;)

Edited by SouthJersey7

Panzoretti, where does that derive from in Italy (province/region)?

Ive never heard of it but it looks very tasty :D

Brindisi, in the southeast on the Adriatic coast. This is the only link I could find:

http://www.dvrbs.com/camden/CamdenNJ-ThePanzarottiStory.htm

Apparently it's not real well known outside of South Jersey. Which is a good thing, we don't wanna see tons of mediocre panzarotti knockoffs! :thumbsup:

Best Indian food... Anywhere on Oak Tree Road in Iselin! Oak Tree is an Indian downtown district with lots of dress shops, banks, restaurants, etc. catering to the Indian community there. I've been to a couple of restaurants in Oak Tree and they're all good and very cheap! Chowpatty has some good southern Indian fare such as dhosa.

chow4.jpg

There's a cool community guide with pictures of businesses. Click on the different types of businesses from the left-side menu and check them out! oaktreeroad.us

Best Portuguese is Brasilia in the Ironbound district in Newark. The Ironbound is full of Portuguese and Brazilian shops and restaurants. You can't go wrong anywhere! There's also a place in Perth Amboy that has excellent Portuguese food.

Best Malaysian is A Taste of Asia II in Chatham. Excellent lunch specials! $8 gets you soup, an appetizer, and an entree!

Worst Korean is Woojeon in Edison. I've yet to find a great Korean restaurant in NJ :(

Best Pizza is a small place on the boardwalk in Ocean City. It's not Mack & Mancos (the big chain everyone knows there). It's a little place somewhere between 7th & 10th streets. I forget the name.

Best Italian ice is from the white truck parked by the boardwalk in Ocean Grove.

Best artery clogger is the "fat cat" menu at the grease trucks on the Rutgers College Ave campus! Where else can you get a hamburger, french fries, onion rings, mozz sticks, lettuce, tomato, and hot sauce ALL ON ONE SANDWICH!!!

mrcs.jpg

Best late night fix - White Rose System in Highland Park. Burgers, fries and shakes, 24 hours a day. They also have disgustingly good porkroll. They call it the "system" because all the guys working there have been through the system.

WhiteRose-Counter.jpgWhiteRose-Burger.jpg

Best Indian food... Anywhere on Oak Tree Road in Iselin! Oak Tree is an Indian downtown district with lots of dress shops, banks, restaurants, etc. catering to the Indian community there. I've been to a couple of restaurants in Oak Tree and they're all good and very cheap! Chowpatty has some good southern Indian fare such as dhosa.

Oak Tree turns into Green St in downtown Iselin. Couldnt of said it better! :D

Best pizza is a small place on the boardwalk in Ocean City. It's not Mack & Mancos (the big chain everyone knows there). It's a little place somewhere between 7th & 10th streets. I forget the name.

Pizza is a very subjective topic. Most pizzerias in Middlesex County arent that bad

Best Italian ice is from the white truck parked by the boardwalk in Ocean Grove.

Ive always found Ritas to be good also

Best artery clogger is the "fat cat" menu at the grease trucks on the Rutgers College Ave campus! Where else can you get a hamburger, french fries, onion rings, mozz sticks, lettuce, tomato, and hot sauce ALL ON ONE SANDWICH!!!

Let me tell you something Chris, When i was 17, almost every night at 3am for a month, i ate a late night sandwich with friends during the summer. At teh end of the month, i gained so much weight... it was probably as bad as going on the McDonalds diet in the movie "super size me". Teh sandwiches ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good but ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD for you too. Great sandwiches also when you are obliberated from a night of drinking. A better place than the grease trucks is the Stewarts over at the East Brunswick/Spotswood border along Main Street (Middlesex CR 615). Get a fat cat or fat b{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}tch over there or any sandwich really, they use better stuff and can wash it down with stewerts root beer in a frosty mug. You may have noticed teh other stewarts on Ruote 27 in North Brunswick/Franklin Twp, im not sure if they serve fat sandwiches there.

Best late night fix - White Rose System in Highland Park. Burgers, fries and shakes, 24 hours a day. They also have disgustingly good porkroll. They call it the "system" because all the guys working there have been through the system.

Great burgers but do not get onions on there. Ive found them to be very disgusting and almost ruined my burger!

Edited by Jerseyman4

Rita's and Stewart's are good, but they're fairly large chains. You can find them in many places so I think the level of how "special" they are is diminished. And the white truck in Ocean Grove is actually AMAZING. Last time I got a large tangerine and green apple ice and nearly caused a scene!

While pizza is certainly subjective, I find it hard to get a REALLY good slice in M-sex Co. Paulie's in NB is pretty good, but almost everywhere else in NB/HP/Edison is a disappointment IMO. Maybe the atmosphere helps, but there's nothing like a good slice on the OC Boardwalk.