Did the Rooney err in Plan B capacity?

PghUSA

Pretty good discussion is brewing on some Steeler boards lamenting the fact that the Rooney and the region did not max out seating capacity at Heinz Field, posters have cited the constant sell-outs at FedEx for a mediocre (until this year) 'skins team, as well as other stadiums. Add to all this the vast Steeler nation and the near generational wait to get season tickets and some are wondering aloud if Heinz shouldn't have been built to college football specs (100,000+). To my recollection the Rooneys and the region decided to go 65k to 1) save money, 2) Rooneys protecting their investment by having a positive market balance (supply vs. demand) on the seating. I think both of these were short sighted (though to be fair at the time interest in the "post-Super Bowl" Steelers were waning down to about 75-70k per game seeking tix), I really don't want to see them close the river side up with seats, though to fill in the gaps on the north end wouldn't be a bad idea!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooneys protecting their investment by having a positive market balance (supply vs. demand) on the seating

That's absolutely 100% what happened concerning the seating capacity at Heinz Field. The Rooneys were also looking out for Pitt's best interests (as they have become quite chummy with the Pitt Athletic Department over the past 6-8 years), as 65,000 is ideal for Pitt (when winning, mind you), whom let's face it, had trouble filling out a 50,000 seat Pitt Stadium in Oakland. Also consider the "Penn State factor" into that equation, as well...

Did you know that it was Dan Rooney himself who strongly suggested that the Pete be 12,500 seats because of the exact factor I quoted you above on (instead of the 17,500 Pitt originally envisioned) to Pitt? You probably won't find anything in print about it, but it's a direct quote from Rooney via WTAE & FSN.

I still wish the Pete was bigger so maybe, just maybe, the Pens could play there. It would have been perfect! I am sure there are factors I don't know about, aside from the Rooney thing. But in theory it would have worked.

I believe Pitt has a permanent basketball floor affixed at the Pete - so, unfortunately, no ice hockey of any kind can be played there. Unfortunately, even with 5,000+ more seats, I believe there are not enough amenities & luxury boxes to make Petersen a full-fledged multipurpose arena & Penguin-friendly

I agree it would've been nice to have settled this arena issue early and have a Penguins-Panthers relationship to pair with the Steelers-Panthers. Pitt also could've fielded a Division IA hockey program...

Something else i'd like to add concerning the existing arena: Roughly two months ago on local television, Stan Savran stated that he personally knows a maintenance worker(nameless) who helps oversee the Mellon Arena. This said person claimed that the arena is starting to sport some major problems within it's structure and estimated that it will need some serious money for repairs & upgrades within about five years.

Just some interesting conjecture to consider...

Most of the public doesn't see the worst of it, but behind the scenes, it is in baaaad shape.

Whoa! In fact, that is the exact phrase Savran used.

It's definitely no coincidence that almost every public figure somehow knows Pittsburgh is going to need a new arena, regardless of the Penguins' situation...

I didn't know Van Damme's attorneys had enough free time on their hands to get back to us on this :rofl:

He's probably just sore that Mike Lange and Paul Steigerwald stole all his thunder in the flick :P

Back on topic though I bet the city could get a really nice payout by having the Mellon Arena implode for a hollywood flick, I believe the city of Orlando took down a skyscraper in the mid-90s with a fat check from Hollywood can't remember the film or the building but the 'scraper was on of the old 60s bland eyesore types. It would be a fitting way to have the old igloo go out, and would make it a movie star twice over!

• 2 weeks later...

Really Mj, you must have some stories on that. I still think that the city should really pull some strings with our local boys made good Hollander (The Guardian) or Belisarius (JAG, Quantum Leap), or even Steve Bocho (NYPD Blue, etc.), and get Hollywood Blvd. to write the city a fat check (would 7 digits be out of the question?) to blow up Mellon Arena for a action scene in some future blockbuster. Would be a great send off for the igloo and give the city a much needed PR moment on the silver screen and a financial windfall (maybe O'Connor could get some royalties on it so the city can be rolling in the dough for years and years to come).

Gerbil, although I loved Sudden Death, I think we should just let that horse die :P, Jean Claude has enough trouble driving straight in LA, we don't need him back driving on 28 or Fifth Avenue ;)

Archived