Reorganized Northeast section

Cotuit

As you undoubtedly have noticed, the Northeast section has undergone a substantial reorganization. Most notably to the New England section, which has been merged up to the Northeast section and turned into states along the lines of the organization of the rest of UP. We've also added a New Jersey forum, and a Bronx subforum under New York City.

These changes will organize the forum better, and allow me easier navigation as a moderator.

As always, the opinions of the members of UrbanPlanet are important. Please let me know how you feel about the reorganzation, and how your state or city is organized.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great changes, keep up the great work!

What about Delaware and Maryland? I can see Maryland affiliating with the DC/Baltimore area but Delaware is not mentioned at all. Delaware is the 1st state but may be the last state to be added on UP :rofl:

In any case, no complaints here, just a curious question. Im still very happy for having a NJ forum finally :)

What about Delaware and Maryland? I can see Maryland affiliating with the DC/Baltimore area but Delaware is not mentioned at all. Delaware is the 1st state but may be the last state to be added on UP :rofl:

We're still scratching our heads on what to do with DE. Depends what happens with the Baltimore-Washington section. Until it has it's own home, any DE threads can go in the main Northeast section.

here's a thought. you have major cities as subforums for many of the other states (such as in PA, you've got philly and pittsburgh). how about a subforum for providence in the RI section and discussion having to do with the rest of RI goes in the main RI forum while providence-specific stuff goes in providence? same thing for CT... new haven, bridgeport, hartford should all get their own (or at least new haven and hartford).

just a thought. the reasoning behind this (if you are curious) is that even though the states are small, some people associate more with the individual city than the state as a whole. and people in that city may not know about what's going on in the state as a whole (nor care) and people in the rest of teh state may not care about the city (much like native RI'ers seem afraid of providence or even some people from the new haven suburbs).

you will run into some states that don't have any real major cities to them (new jersey, for one, is more overflow from NYC and philly than really having it's own identifiable cities, with maybe the exception of newark). and delaware doesn't even really have any major cities (although some overflow from philly), although it does deserve it's own forum since there is one for the rest of the northeastern states. :)

here's a thought.

I had a feeling the RI vs PVD nomenclature might be an issue. I created a Poll on it in the RI section so that the RI/PVD members can vote/discuss it.

and delaware doesn't even really have any major cities (although some overflow from philly), although it does deserve it's own forum since there is one for the rest of the northeastern states. :)

We likely won't make a Delaware subforum any time soon. I don't think we have any Delaware threads to put into it. If we get traffic from Delaware people and Delaware discussions start to be posted, we will of course consider adding a subforum.

Having the group spread out tends to make it harder to navigate, as in New England, with the states so close together, you tend to be involved weith all of them. Kind of like the European Union - separate countries, one whole. New England - Separate states, one whole. So I am getting lost and end up having to clikc through and reload pages too much.

I was actually hoping to make it easier for you and the other Worcesterite(s) by creating the Massachusetts section as a clear home for Worcester discussions, rather than having them relegated to the New England Section.

Overall, with the New England section removed, the Northeast Section is one layer flater, though the Boston and Hartford subsections are as deep as they were before since they lay under a state (but you can leap directly to those subsections from links under the states in the main Northeast section).

I hope as you get used to the layout it will be easier to navigate.

Oh, and the forum was massively slow for a few weeks, even for people on broadband, but we've upgraded the servers and the speed should be back now.

Hate to be the downer, but I have a bit of a complaint about it. I am on dial-up, and my connection to UP is pretty slow. I know this is probably a bad thing, but I tend to open up a few windows at once to speed up my productivity.

Having the group spread out tends to make it harder to navigate, as in New England, with the states so close together, you tend to be involved weith all of them. Kind of like the European Union - separate countries, one whole. New England - Separate states, one whole. So I am getting lost and end up having to clikc through and reload pages too much.

Just some input.

We have a lo-fi version for people on slow connections. The link is at the bottom of the pages.

though the Boston and Hartford subsections are as deep as they were before since they lay under a state (but you can leap directly to those subsections from links under the states in the main Northeast section).

you know, i just realized that hartford has it's own. i am a bit confused as to why you'd give greater hartford their own sub-section but not greater new haven.

and again, why not providence? if there's a good reason behind it, i'll back it. but up until recently, there hasn't been much discussion in the "RI" forum about anything other than providence.

but up until recently, there hasn't been much discussion in the "RI" forum about anything other than providence.

Well, basically, that's the reason, Rhode Island is Providence. It can be split out if that's what people say they want.

No New Haven under CT because the vast majority of the discussions there have been about Hartford. There's no Bridgeport or Stamford or New London... for the same reason. If there's the traffic for any other CT city, a subforum can be created for it.

Well, basically, that's the reason, Rhode Island is Providence. It can be split out if that's what people say they want.

wow... that's quite the statement. i would like to completely disagree with that. i know the people of newport and much of south county would disagree as well. i think there was a brief push for a newport craigslist.

wow... that's quite the statement. i would like to completely disagree with that. i know the people of newport and much of south county would disagree as well. i think there was a brief push for a newport craigslist.

Not in the real world, on UP. Almost all the threads are Providence-centric or very close in topics like Warwick. Very little Newport or Woonsocket or even Pawtucket. That's part of the reason for the name change, people in the past have thought they couldn't discuss things outside of Providence because of the forum's name.

The poll is tied between create a new subforum, and add the Providence name to the current Rhode Island forum. I'm happy to do what the members want, and I haven't voted yet.

This re-organization was my doing, no mods from outside the region made any comment on it (well they commented but they didn't make the decision). I would be the last one to slight Providence by not making a subforum for it when Hartford and Boston have them. It's a simple matter of navigation, nothing more.

You must be at least 13 to be a member of UrbanPlanet. Implicit in that rule is that you should also act like you are at least 13.

I didn't mean any harm. I actually think PVD should have a sub-forum. I just don't like certain people's negative attitudes. BTW Greater Hartford's population = the entire state of RI. In case some people forgot.

I didn't mean any harm. I actually think PVD should have a sub-forum. I just don't like certain people's negative attitudes. BTW Greater Hartford's population = the entire state of RI. In case some people forgot.

except providence's metro is larger than hartford's (since greater hartford does include some of MA, as does the providence metro). and providence also has a fair amount more people in the city limits than hartford.

except providence's metro is larger than hartford's (since greater hartford does include some of MA, as does the providence metro). and providence also has a fair amount more people in the city limits than hartford.

None of this matters. No one cares how big each respective city's d!ck is so just shut up about it! I'm really beyond tired of this nonsense!

Archived